SASS Wire Forum

Favorite lines from a western

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Never rode shotgun on a Hearst before

From "Once Upon A Time In The West:"

Frank (Henry Fonda): "How can you trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders? The man can't even trust his own pants."

There're more quotes on the "Silverado" thread, as well.

"You turn down this gift-- them Injuns spilt you, me, Caleb and the horses from crotch to eyeball with a dull deer antler." Del Que from Jeramiah johnson

My two favorites:

1. "The Professionals" (a better same period movie than WB, IMHO):

Lee Marvin to Ralph Bellamy:

Bellamy: "You Bastard!"

Marvin: "Yes Sir.... in my case an accident of birth, but You Sir....You are a self made man."

2. "The Magnificent Seven": Charles Bronson to the village children:

Village Boy: "We are ashamed to live here. Our fathers are cowards".

Charles Bronson:

"Don't you EVER say that again about your fathers, because they are NOT cowards!

You think I am brave because I carry a gun? Well, your fathers are much braver because they carry RESPONSIBILITY, for you, your brothers, your sisters, and your mothers!

And this responsibility is like a big rock that weighs a ton. It bends and it twists them until finally it buries them under the ground!

And there's NOBODY says they have to do this!! They do it because they love you, and because they want to!

I have NEVER had this kind of courage!! Running a farm, working like a mule every day with no guarantee anything will ever come of it. This is bravery! That's why I never even started anything like that... that's why I never will."

The second one gets to me each and every time I run it on DVD. :blush:

Harvey

From "The Cowboys", with the Duke playing Wil Anderson

Stuttering Boy Wilson: Son-of-a-bitch.

Wil Andersen: What did you say?

Stuttering Boy Wilson: You god-damned son-of-a-bitch!

Wil Andersen: Say that again.

Stuttering Boy Wilson: You god-damned, mean, son-of-a-bitch!

Wil Andersen: Say it faster.

Stuttering Boy Wilson: You god-damned, mean, dirty, son-of-a-bitch!

Wil Andersen: I wouldn't make it a habit of calling me that, son.

Hopefully I won't get booted here for posting that with all the swearin', but saw this last night and that little sequence had me laughing my butt off. He makes the kid call him that 4 times, then tells him not to make a habit of it :lol:

Jack Bull: "Are you saying we fight for nothing?"

Mr. Evans: "On the contrary sir, you fight for everything we ever had. We just don't have it anymore."

While lying three quarters dead in the middle of the desert in Australia, no water, no horses, no guns, Quigley says, "I wish people would quit hitting me on the head" and Cora replies, "Don't worry, on a new job it's quite common for things not to go well at first."

I can't believe I'm the first one to nominate this one!

I wash born here, an I wash raished here, and dad gum it, I am gonna die here, an no sidewindin bushwackin, hornswaglin, cracker croaker is gonna rouin me bishen cutter!

Movie

From The Cowboys:

Jebediah Nightlinger: I regret trifling with married women, I'm thoroughly ashamed at cheating at cards, I deplore my occasional departures from the truth, Forgive me for taking your name in vain, my Saturday drunkenness, my Sunday Sloth. Above all, forgive me for the men I've killed in anger, and those I am about to...

TV

Gunsmoke: Festus has got the drop on the badguys and the kid in the gang starts to reach for iron.

Festus: Careful son right now yore about a foot from a hole in the ground!

Book

See my signature at the bottom it's from Six Bits A Day by Elmer Kelton.

CPK

Movie

From The Cowboys:

Jebediah Nightlinger: I regret trifling with married women, I'm thoroughly ashamed at cheating at cards, I deplore my occasional departures from the truth, Forgive me for taking your name in vain, my Saturday drunkenness, my Sunday Sloth. Above all, forgive me for the men I've killed in anger, and those I am about to...

TV

Gunsmoke: Festus has got the drop on the badguys and the kid in the gang starts to reach for iron.

Festus: Careful son right now yore a foot from a hole in the ground!

Book

See my signature at the bottom it's from Six Bits A Day by Elmer Kelton.

CPK

My favorite Festus quote:

"If'n I drop this hammer, that'll be the first time anything's been inside o' yore head!"

From Outlaw Josey Wales: (paraphrased)

Wales to Chief Dan George:

Just when I take a liking to someone they aren't around for long.

Chief Dan George reply:

When you don't take a liking to somebody they aren't around for long either.

From Open Range

Charley: You the one killed our friend?

Butler: That's right. I shot the boy, too. And I enjoyed it.

[Charley pulls out his gun and shoots Butler in the head]

From Rio Bravo

Stumpy: You think I'll ever get to be a sheriff?

Dude: Not unless you mind your own business.

[stumpy cackles]

From Conagher

Conn Conagher: Tell me something, Chris. Where do you stand? Are you riding with the brand... or are you running scared?

Laban Teale: Who gave you the black eye?

Conn Conagher: No one gave it to me, son. I fought for it.

It's my signature line. :blush:

I'm sure ya'll know where it's from. ;)

If I recall correctly, the next line is "You're a lady alright, I'd take my oath on it."

Guest Winchester Jack, SASS #70195

Drago: I'm sorry Katherine - that Katie just slipped out from times when I remember you as being nice people...

McLintock

Mayor Ollie Perkins: I wanted you to meet my daughter, Sheriff. She's a good cook, a mighty fine looking girl. Takes after her dear, departed mother.

Jason McCullough: Mother died, huh?

Mayor Ollie Perkins: Nope, she just departed.

Mayor Olly Perkins: [talking about Prudy] She's had some terrible shocks this year. She got wealthy almost overnight - I think maybe it unhinged her a little bit. Then she was always kind of big for her age and "pooberty" hit her hard - that'll do it you know.

Support your local sheriff

From "The Villian":

"Handsome Stranger? How'd you get a name like that?"

"I was named after my father."

"Oooo, well, he must've been very handsome."

"I don't know...I never met him."

I wash born here, an I wash raished here, and dad gum it, I am gonna die here, an no sidewindin bushwackin, hornswaglin, cracker croaker is gonna rouin me bishen cutter!

Now who can argue with that? I think we're all in debt to Woody Shootem for stating what needed to be said. I am particularly glad that all you lovely people from the wire are here today to hear that speech. Not only was it authentic frontier gibberish, it expressed the courage little seen in this day and age.

Guest Winchester Jack, SASS #70195

You know what nice is? Suppose there was a whole herd of dead cattle, dropped dead on the field, just for you. That's what nice is.'

Evil Roy Slade

"Wanted in fifteen counties, standing before us, ah, sitting before us, Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez, has been found guilty by the District Circuit Court of the following crimes: murder, assaulting a Justice of the Peace, raping a virgin of the white race, statutory rape of a minor of the black race, derailing a train in order to rob the passengers, … robbery, highway robbery, robbing an unknown number of post offices, breaking out of a …, counterfeiting and passing counterfeit money, and the accused… promoting prostitution …high places of authority… illegal postal pick up… intention of selling black fugitive slaves… the sheriff in Sonora… hired himself out as guide on a wagon train, after receiving his payment in advance, he deserted the wagon train in the hunting grounds of the Sioux Indians… misrepresenting himself as a Mexican general in order to receive a salary and living allowance from the Union Army… Of all these crimes the accused made made a full, spontaneous confession. Therefore we condemn him to be hung by the neck until dead. May the Lord have mercy on his soul. Proceed."

John Ireland to Montgomery Clift in Red River

" the only thing more beautiful than a good gun is a swiss watch or a woman from anywhere"

Archived