SASS Wire Forum

Favorite lines from a western

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got to throw this one in to support the Baptist category.....and reminds me of my father-in-law.

I can't recall the name of the flick, but as the story goes, a preacher (who was only out to take the folks' money in the collection) asks if anyone wants to give their testimony.

A younger lad from the local bunch of outlaws comes forward and starts talking about all the evil deeds that he had done.

He robbed. He stole. He killed a man.

All of this testimony goes on as the young lad's padres are stealing the town folk's horses.

Then the boy yells out that he made love with some barnyard animals.

The women gasp. The men yell out. All pandemonium ensues.

In a moment of confusion, the preacher calls out, "Dang it, brother. I don't think that I would have told that." Or something to that affect.

My father-in-law and I would watch many a western together, and he would quote that out many a time when someone would start running off at the mouth.

What happened to the old bank? It was beautiful.

We seem to be a little short on brotherly love around here.

Somebody say 1,2,3, go!

That's bad business. If he'd pay me that much to stop robbin' him, I'd stop robbin' him.

He'll feel better after he robs a few banks.

I'm better when I move.

Morons! I've got morons on my team.

For a moment there I thought we were in trouble.

Those go with your avatar, Driftwood! :D

My own favorite of all, from Ride the High Country:

Gil Westrum (Randolph Scott) to Steve Judd (Joel McRae) "You know what's on the back of a poor man when he dies? The clothes of pride, and they're not a bit warmer to him then when he was alive. Is that what you want?"

Judd replies, "All I want is to enter my house justified."

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. Gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it...

Nobody throws me my own guns and says run. Nobody.

It's like a fellow I once knew in El Paso. One day, he just took all his clothes off and jumped in a mess of cactus. I asked him that same question, "Why?"

He said, "It seemed to be a good idea at the time."

All I did was kiss a girl!

Emmett: I'm afraid it is a bad start, friend, 'cause my name ain't Baxter, he ain't Hawley.

Hobart: You're not Baxter?

Emmett: Name's Emmett.

Hobart: You're not Baxter either?

Paden: No, I'm not Hawley.

Now, I don't wanna kill you, and you don't wanna be dead.

My favorite to do with my pard Driftwood:

Butch Cassidy: [spanish] Manos a... Manos, um...

[butch pulls out a card that helps him remember his words]

Butch Cassidy: Manos arriba!

Sundance Kid: They got 'em up! Skip on down.

Butch Cassidy: Arriba!

Sundance Kid: Skip on down!

Butch Cassidy: Todos ustedes "arrismense" a la pared.

Sundance Kid: They're against the wall already!

Butch Cassidy: Donde... Ah, you're so damn smart, You read it!

"Never trust a man who wears suspenders AND a belt" - Henry Fonda in Once upon a time in the West

"A man who has to ask for help should never start in the first place" different versions used in Red River, The Cowboys and The Searchers

"Wyatt, there is no such thing as a normal life, just life" Doc on his deathbed to Wyatt in Wyatt Earp

"Mine hit the ground first" Kirk Douglas. "Mine was taller" Duke Wayne from The War Wagon

Duke Wayne's line about not being wronged or touched and such is stated in several of his biographies as his life guide. I have always liked his movies, not so much for historial accuracy, but because they often defined much of what can be admirable in being a man and an American. He played himself the same way in Angel and the Badman as he did in Sands of Iwo Jima or The Alamo or The Shootist. He could never playa small role because he was not a small man. More historically accurate movies have been made by Tom Selleck, Kevin Costner and Robert Duvall, but I can never pass up a chance to watch a movie with lines like 'Not Hardly' and 'We're burning daylight". Who else could wear the same faded red shirt, stained vest and hat while riding the same horse in 10-20 movies set in different locales and times, while still being enjoyable decades later? Who else could croon as Singing Sammy (dubbed by a high tenor) while walking into a gunfight? Who else would only load three rounds in his '92 to take on three baddies at the end of Stagecoach, and still we knew that he would win?

Well, sticking with just the Strother Martin lines will help us to finish a lot quicker. ;)

"Woman can no more keep her mouth shut than a yella tailed catfish!" (Rooster Cogburn)

" Morons. I've got morons on my team. Nobody is going to rob us going down the mountain. We have got no money going down the mountain. When we have got the money, on the way back, then you can sweat." (Butch and Sundance)

"It's covered, ya two-bit, redneck peckerwood!" (Wild Bunch)

"Most people around here have heard of Rooster Cogburn and some people live to regret it. I would not be surprised to learn that he's a relative of yours." (True Grit)

And under the 'I know it's not a Western but it's it's one of my all time favorite movies' headings, I give you The Captain.

"Now, I can be a good guy, or I can be one real mean sum-bitch."

"What we've got here is... failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach. So you get what we had here last week, which is the way he wants it... well, he gets it. I don't like it any more than you men."

" You run one time, you got yourself a set of chains. You run twice you got yourself two sets. You ain't gonna need no third set, 'cause you gonna get your mind right. "

"You gonna get used to wearin' them chains afer a while, Luke. Don't you never stop listenin' to them clinking. 'Cause they gonna remind you of what I been saying. For your own good."

"I don't think you got a very good look at this gun while you had it. The balance is perfect. This trigger responds to a pressure of one ounce. If you look carefully in the barrel you'll see the lines of the rifling. It's a rarity in a hand weapon. This gun was handcrafted to my specifications and I rarely draw it unless I mean to use it. Would you care for a demonstration?" - Paladin

Manfred Holt: Oh and, Paladin, don't try anything fancy like wingin' a shoulder or the leg. You know, a man like me you either kill or he kills you.

Paladin: I know.

Manfred Holt: That pump; when the next drop of water falls.

------------

Paladin: Start. What are you waiting for? You've got a gun in that holster. You have two good hands; you're standing on your own two feet. What more do you want? Want an edge?

------------

Baron Otto von Albrecht: You are a paradox Sir Paladin. A gentleman knight who risks lance and life for people he dislikes or even hates to get enough money to pamper his expensive tastes. At the very best or least my dear Paladin, you are a spiritual assasin.

Paladin: You do take advantage of your years old man.

------------------

Paladin: I have found no book on bravery, no formula for courage. I think perhaps a man is valiant only when his fear of cowardice exceeds his fear of death.

----------------

Paladin: The good die young so they may not be corrupted and the wicked live on so they may have a chance to repent.

Guest Rio Grande Slim

El Guapo after catching Lucky Day and Dusty bottom to Jefe

EL Guapo: are gringos falling from the sky

Ned Nedelander falls through a table

Jefe: Yes El Guapo

From Blazzing Saddles.

Mongo: Mongo no go Mongo Stay with Sherif Bart Sherif Bart only one to ever whip mongo.. Mongo impressed

Lily von Stup to Bart: is it true what they say about you people being gifted?

The Waco kid to Bart: I got a letter this morning addressed to the deputy spade

Bart: once I establish myself in this town Deputy spade could turn out to be a grovy position.

the minister: I will now read from the books of Matthew, Mark, Luke, (dynamite crashes through the church window) and duck.

Guest Winchester Jack, SASS #70195

"If I thought I'd get shot, I wouldn't go!"

"You give me enough bullets, I'll play 'Marchin' Through Georgia.'"

What movie and which character said those lines?

Eldorado and Bull. Also said

: I forgot the words, but you better say 'I do' Now you're deputies

Guest Winchester Jack, SASS #70195

I've got a touch of hangover, bureaucrat. Don't push me.

Don't say it's a fine morning or I'll shoot ya

Mc Lintock

Stuttering Boy Wilson: Son-of-a-b*tch.

Wil Andersen: What did you say?

Stuttering Boy Wilson: You ***-damned son-of-a-b*tch!

Wil Andersen: Say that again.

Stuttering Boy Wilson: You ***-damned, mean, son-of-a-b*tch!

Wil Andersen: Say it faster.

Stuttering Boy Wilson: You ***-damned, mean, dirty, son-of-a-b*tch!

Wil Andersen: I wouldn't make it a habit of calling me that, son.

Jebediah Nightlinger: [to the madam Kate Collingwood] Well, I have the inclination, the maturity, and the wherewithal... but unfortunately, I don't have the time.

"In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig."

Tuco: [trying to read a note] "See you soon, id... " "id... " "ids... "

Blondie: [taking the note] "Idiots". It's for you.

Charlie: They told me you got hung.

Sheriff Bart: You damed right i am.

Here's some of mine, excluding some that have not already been posted. Probably too easy to guess what movies they are from.

"There's two kinds of people my freind; those with loaded guns and those that dig, you dig."

"It's because of the dam trains, dam em!"

"The heart, don't forget the heart; Aim for the heart, or you'll never stop me"

"When you hang a man; you better look at him"

Who about the fella at the gate? "He's at another gate looking for Saint Peter"

"Dam your murdering hides; meet your maker!"

"Every gun makes it's own tune"

"There's 3 candles left and only 2 bullets"

Who's the meanest guy in here? "That would be mister Sweet"

"Thow me a bullet; a 38 long colt"

"Best $1.80 I ever spent!"

"Get 3 coffins ready!"

"Put that shovel to some good use!"

"Padre, you wouldn't happen to have a gun in here, would you?"

"Watch your drinking, maam"

Looks like we are shy 1 horse! "No you brought 3 too many"

"Stop cackling and throw one a little further this time"

"Well mister New Mexico; I wouldn't give a bucket of mule piss for your future"

I'll have to watch some more movies to come up with some more; that's some homework I can handle. So many westerns, so little time!

Guest diablo slim shootist

From "Silverado"

" We are going give you a Fair trial followed by a first class hanging"

From "Josey Wales"

"The horned frog says we go to Mexico" Chief Dan George

From "Tombstone"

"Tell I'm comming and Hells coming with me! Ya hear!

Archived