SASS Wire Forum

Favorite lines from a western

Here is one of mine from The Shootist.

I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them.

John Wayne

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"All right, I'm coming out. Any man I see out there, I'm gonna shoot him. Any sumb@#$! takes a shot at me, I'm not only gonna kill him, but I'm gonna kill his wife, all his friends, and burn his damn house down."

Will Munny (Clint Eastwood) in Unforgiven

"Who knows what evil lurks...?"

The Silver Shadow

"And now *you* understand. Anything goes wrong, anything at all... your fault, my fault, nobody's fault... it won't matter - I'm gonna blow your head off. No matter what else happens, no matter who gets killed I'm gonna blow your head off." John Wayne as Big Jake.

What happened to the old bank? It was beautiful.

We seem to be a little short on brotherly love around here.

Somebody say 1,2,3, go!

That's bad business. If he'd pay me that much to stop robbin' him, I'd stop robbin' him.

He'll feel better after he robs a few banks.

I'm better when I move.

Morons! I've got morons on my team.

For a moment there I thought we were in trouble.

Rooster Cogburn: [cocks his gun] Mr. Rat... I have a writ here says you're to stop eating Chen Lee's cornmeal forthwith. Now it's a rat writ, writ for a rat, and this is lawful service of the same. See? Doesn't pay any attention to me.

[shoots the rat]

SS

Here is one of mine from The Shootist.

I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them.

John Wayne

I don't know who cooked it up for the movie, but it is my all time favorite too.....

I especially like the way it is stated that "I REQUIRE the same from them".

Not a bad way to live your life.

Bp

Wow...

Where would I begin?

"You can call me Father, you can call me Jacob, you can call me Jake. You can call me a dirty son-of-a-b****, but if you EVER call me Daddy again, I'll finish this fight." Big Jake

Tombstone seems to be one big rolling quote, but a few of my favorites:

Doc Holliday: In vino veritas.

["In wine is truth" meaning: "When I'm drinking, I speak my mind"]

Johnny Ringo: Age quod agis.

["Do what you do" meaning: "Do what you do best"]

Doc Holliday: Credat Judaeus apella, non ego.

["The Jew Apella may believe it, not I" meaning: "I don't believe drinking is what I do best."]

Johnny Ringo: [pats his gun] Eventus stultorum magister.

["Events are the teachers of fools" meaning: "Fools have to learn by experience"]

Doc Holliday: [gives a Cheshire cat smile] In pace requiescat.

["Rest in peace" meaning: "It's your funeral!"]

Wyatt Earp: You die first, get it? Your friends might get me in a rush, but not before I make your head into a canoe, you understand me?

Billy Clanton: [as Doc Holliday is drunkenly playing a somber piece on the saloon piano, Clanton speaks, just as drunkenly] Is that "Old Dog Trey? Sounds like "Old Dog Trey."

Doc Holliday: Pardon?

Billy Clanton: Stephen Foster. "Oh, Susannah", "Camptown Races". Stephen stinking Foster.

Doc Holliday: Ah, yes. Well, this happens to be a nocturne.

Billy Clanton: A which?

Doc Holliday: You know, Frederic f***ing Chopin

Doc Holliday: I have two guns, one for each of ya.

And my personal favorite from the movie:

Doc Holliday: Why Johnny Ringo, you look like somebody just walked over your grave.

Good grief, I just don't know where to stop

U.S. Marshal Martin Weatherby: But Marshal! This - this outlaw; if you don't arrest him, I shall!

Wild Bill Hickok: Outlaw? Let me tell you something, son. This ain't Boston. We had a war down here and you'll find men in high offices who are thieves and cutthroats. You'll find others who are branded outlaws that are only fighting for what's their own. There's those known as bad men and those as are bad men. You better learn to tell the difference!

LL

"Be careful. You're a man that makes people afraid and that's dangerous".

Stranger: It's what people know about themselves inside that makes em afraid.

" Go do... that voodoo... that you do... so well!

"Oh no, don't do that, don't do that. If you shoot him, you'll just make him mad"

"Mongo only pawn... in game of life."

“I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, shit-kickers and Methodists.”

And yes, I have used it on several occasions as a start line. Probably should have given a 5 second bonus to anyone who actually said it. Hum..............

"Well....bye"...Wyatt Earp

"Said I didn't have much use for one. Never said I didn't know how to use it."..... Quigley Down Under

"Dying ain't much of a living boy."

"You gonna pull them pistols or whistle Dixie?"

"seems people you don't like don't live long either" ....Outlaw Josie Wales

And ALL of the Duke's movie lines....

This ain't Dodge City and you ain't Bill Hickock. Quigley

Never could get the hang of turning the other cheek. Crossfire Trail

I'm a great believer in doing nuthin". Silverado

"It reminds me of that fellow back home that fell off a ten story building. As he was falling people on each floor kept hearing him say, 'So far, so good.'"

Vin (Steve Mcqueen)in The Magnificant Seven

SS

You think I judged him too harshly? Used him for kindling my fire of justice? Well, maybe that's inevitable when there's only one man, one court, with the power of final justice over a territory that's five times the size of most states. Mistakes? Oh, I've made 'em, Cooper. Don't you doubt about that. Don't you doubt, either, there are times sitting up there in that judgement seat I wished, I prayed, that there was someone standing between me and God Almighty - someone with the power to say, "You're wrong, Fenton. You've made an error in law - that this man deserves another trial, this man here a reprieve, this man is innocent." But until this territory becomes a state with a governor and a state court of appeals, I am the law here - all the law. If you don't like that, you can cuss me till hell freezes over... or you can join me, Cooper; even fight me. Help me turn this God forsaken territory into a state where no one man calls himself the law.

Judge Adam Fenton, "Hang 'em High"

“I’m gonna blow that ugly right off your face” Rango

“I’m gonna slice your face off and use it to wipe my unmentionables” Bad Bill (Rango)

“You ain’t from around here are you” Beans (Rango)

“you’re nothing but an egg suckin’ dog” ?

“You scum suckin’ pig” The three Amigos

“You dirt eating piece of slime” The three Amigos

“You son of a motherless goat” The three Amigos

“Strangers don’t last long around here” Pricilla (Rango)

“I suggest you shut up and shoot” Beans (Rango)

The Archduke: What's greatest Western thrill of all?

Joseph: Kill Indians.

The Archduke: Kill Indians? Is it legal?

Joseph: Oh, white man been doing it for years.

Maverick: Oh, you sure do pick the spots.

Joseph: Yeah, I know. You know the next time you people come and drive us off our land I'm gonna find a nice piece of swamp that's so God-awful, maybe then you'll leave us the hell alone.

Annabelle: Well, they're Indians. They probably just stole the ponies!

Maverick: Not everybody's like you, Mrs. Bransford.

Annabelle: What is it with you and Indians anyway?

Maverick: Oh, nothing. I try and shoot one a day, if possible, before noon. How 'bout you, Coop? I figure it's their fault for being on our land before we got here.

SS

Handsome Stranger: This is a seven-shot six-shooter, and I had it especially made.

Charming Jones: Why?

Handsome Stranger: Why?

Charming Jones: Yeah...

Handsome Stranger: I dunno.

SS

Archived