SASS Wire Forum

New to SASS looking for 45 LC pistols and rifles

Hey yall,

As my post says, Im new to SASS. I dont have all the guns I need so Im a very interested buyer. I have one single action uberti 45 LC with a rig but thats it. I live in Warner Robins GA. I ask you email or call me(478-297-0149) because I dont check this as regularly as I do my email and my phone is always on me. I would absolutely need photos also. Thanks for you time.

-Too Tall Jones(Lance Moore)

Hey Pard,

quick suggestion:

what class do you want to shoot in? 45lc will put you in classic cowboy or some of the black powder categories.

Most people start with 38's secondary to cost and recoil and variety of classes you can shoot in and be competitive.

When asking for guns in 45lc without stating a brand or grip preference you are asking for trouble!!! :blink:

Guns: try guns out at your local club first- bisley grip vs plow handle vs birdshead

reliability go with ruger ( may spend more intially but will have these for your great great grandkids to enjoy) :)

probably look for stainless guns due to various weather conditions in this sport and little time to clean when traveling long distances with your guns.

rifles: one way uberti 73 or 66 I prefer 73 easier to clean by dropping the side plates

length 18-20 inch (people will try to sell you the 24in, 30in but if you want to be competitive shorter barrel rifles fit easily in and out of window and door frames effortlessly

rifle stock is important as well Pistol grip vs straight stock ( fast guys usually like pistol grip) again more money though

shotgun: you did not ask for it but I will tell you anyway.

Classic cowboy you need a lever action 87 or hammered double (preferabley TTN) this class uses 45lc

if you have anything other than these two you will not be allowed to shoot in this class.

also if you have any other shotgun than the two mentioned above you will be shooting in other classes where your competition will be shooting 38's.

Stoeger side by side tricked up by goatneck clem, three cut, lassiter, Jimmy spurs, etc..... I think is most reasonable and reliable because you quickly move up to BSS brownings and ithica skb shotguns that cost some serious jack

i did not mention 97 because I think the learning curve is higher and the functioning parts (too many to break at anytime) when you do not want them too ( my opinion sxs three moving parts quick to learn and hardly never break)

what is just as important as guns is your leather!!!!!!!!!!! cross draw vs strong side holsters (duelist, traditional, Dbl duelist) B-western drop holsters vs non dropped holsters.

after that get a small reliable guncart I like Doc noper carts they fit in a yugo!!!!

Now having said all this and you are just wanting guns to enjoy the sport then do not pay much attention to what I just said

just have fun and find one or two cowboys that you trust and pick their brains so much they pass you along to other cowboys!

From a friend you do not know, hope to see you down the trail!! 45's you are talking classic cowboy and this is my favorite!

Vance Montana :FlagAm:

Stop!!!

Do not buy anything unless you got money like Bill Gates and time like God.

Even if you are a very experienced shooter in other disciplines, there are shooters just waiting to give you information at your nearest SASS match specific to cowboy-action. The better shooters have to shoot a lot and require guns that are competitive AND reliable. If you line up the top ten shooters at any match, you will find distinct trends. There is room to add your personal preference for calibers and models, but those shooters will be happy to tell you of the good and the bad of their experiences. They may even have some material for sell that can get you started with guns that have been 'massaged' without the hassle of finding that right gunsmith.

I'm gonna chime in here & share my experience. I bought a Uberti .45 Colt pistol on a whim with no intention of getting into CAS shooting. I've shot USPSA for years though, & my competitive nature got the best of me.

I ended up finding a really good deal on a pair of Uberti .45 pistols that were already slicked up for CAS, then I borrowed a shotgun & rifle for my first match. I also tried out a few different rifles & shotguns at the match. I'm glad I did, because I was planning on a '97 shotgun & a '92 rifle, & I ended up with a Stoeger coach gun & a Marlin '94.

I don't regret getting .45 pistols at all. I shoot Revolver & Single Stack in .45ACP for USPSA, so I got .45 Cowboy Special brass for CAS. On my Dillon 550, I just change out the shellplate & switch to a lighter bullet, don't have to change a thing on the toolhead.

Folks always say that .45 components are more expensive too, and they are, but that's what everybody told me in USPSA as well & for me it's not that big a deal. That may be true for people who shoot a match every weekend, practice regularly with live ammo, and go to big matches like EOT, but I shoot once a month at most & most of my practice time is dryfire so to me it all comes out in the wash.

Bottom line, yes you should go to a match & try stuff out first, but if you like a particular gun or caliber or holster or whatever, don't let somebody talk you out of it because it's not competitive at levels you don't expect to reach.

Too Tall.

Welcome to the campfire. We are shooting Mule Camp tomorrow. Come by and talk to some cowboys and see some guns. There are usually some for sale at the shoots.

McKenzie

I start with 38's and quickly got 45's. Now I am going back to 38's everything is easier to find and cheaper.. That said I have a pair of Wes Flowers(AKA west Fargo) Ruger Bisley race guns. THey are short stroked and have a half cock, no transfer bar, that I am looking to part with so I can get me a pair of the new models Bisley in 38 or even better yet a brace of old model Ruger Bisleys in 38. These are not cheap guns the stock also are laser checkered for a better grip. All things considered if have $800 or more in each gun. SO the set would go for $1500 if you are interested plus shipping and FFL fees.

Hey everyone thanks for the advice. I didnt see any notifications about yalls post. I would have liked to come to mule camp but it was just too short notice. However Theres a club here in Warner Robins called the Lonesome Valley Regulators I'll be apart of. I spoke with a member there and he offered to bring some guns.

I appreciate the advice some of yall have offered. Honestly I want to just do this as a hobbie, Im not looking to do this as DEAD SERIOUS competition. I recently got out of the army and we had a motto "fight like you train". Well if any situation should arise, and a confrontation takes place I'll be carrying a 45. So it doesnt make much sense to shoot with 38 even though it does all those thing named above. Also Im already committed to the 45, I bought my first one back in July and another one just a few days ago. I dont regret my decision. If anyone has any other helpful advice or want to point me in the right direction feel free to contact me.

-Too Tall

Archived