SASS Wire Forum

Imported 97's thing of the past?

Bard Eye SASS 30526

Well I'm not crying over it. I have 5-6 Winchester 1897's and would never think about owning a Chinchester anyways. Just sayin'

Big Jake

Well I'm not crying over it. I have 5-6 Winchester 1897's and would never think about owning a Chinchester anyways. Just sayin'

Big Jake

The man asked a question about imports, not asking anyone to brag about howmany he has. Its for sure you don't need that many or your waiting for the price on Winchesters to go thru the roof. Just answer his question. :angry:

It's been a long time since I have been on the wire. I have heard a rumor that they are not importing 97 shotguns?

Copied from Coyote Cap's Website, he still has a few left.

May 2011 - - - - NEWS FLASH - - - - I cannot believe this news - - - after ten years of development work and improvement inventions to make the I.A.C. shotguns the BEST shotguns for CAS. to date, Interstate Arms has just informed us, that they will no longer be importing the I.A.C. M-99, M-97 and M-87 shotguns. What we have and what is left out there in the industry is all that there is, so you need to get one while you can.

The man asked a question about imports, not asking anyone to brag about howmany he has. Its for sure you don't need that many or your waiting for the price on Winchesters to go thru the roof. Just answer his question. :angry:

I went looking and found a new in box TTN 1897 12 gauge shotgun for $350 + shipping on the Classifieds by a pard named Clumbsome.

Hope it makes you remove your angry emoticon from your post cuz I just couldn't live knowing someone might be mad at me.

I don't know why I have so many, your right about me not needing them. I WANT them, just bought a 1904 Winchester 1897 for $350.

Lets make friends and let it go OK? Just sayin'

Big Jake

I do recall reading that the Trench Gun version was on the ban list. Some piffle about "not meeting sporting purposes" criteria.

Not sure if the regular model has been added or if the list has been expanded.

I do recall reading that the Trench Gun version was on the ban list. Some piffle about "not meeting sporting purposes" criteria.

Not sure if the regular model has been added or if the list has been expanded.

This is how I understand the new ATF ruling also. The trench gun version has a heat shield and bayonette lug; therefore it will not be considered "for sporting use" and will no longer be exempt from the import ban. The regular '97's should not be affected.

From what I have seen at gunshows recently, it seems like everyone is trying to cash in by scaring consumers into believing that all imported shotguns will be illegal in the near future.

Goes to show you how much pull CAS has on gun manufactures and importers. Close to none do to the size of our sport.

I think that these import 97s were made with the CAS market in mind. Same goes for MANY other guns on the market. CAS was, is and will remain the major users of a number of gun types that are on the market. Fact is, many former 97 shooters are moving back to SXS shotguns. Also... there are a great many 97s... both originals and copies, that are setting idle in gun safes across the country. If the WB game takes off like it's promoters would like it to, then I wouldn't be surprised to see the 97s reappear on the market. CAS may not have as many shooters as it once had, but it still has a respectable number of shooters, and it is in fact, growing again in some areas.

Snakebite

This is how I understand the new ATF ruling also. The trench gun version has a heat shield and bayonette lug; therefore it will not be considered "for sporting use" and will no longer be exempt from the import ban. The regular '97's should not be affected.

From what I have seen at gunshows recently, it seems like everyone is trying to cash in by scaring consumers into believing that all imported shotguns will be illegal in the near future.

My LGS has a used IAC trench gun right now for $425, nearest I can figure is that is about $50ish over what they retailed for new. They usually are fairly competitive price wise so the only explanation I can rationalize is that they are anticipating that as a banned or to be banned gun it now demands a premium.

If the WB game takes off like it's promoters would like it to, then I wouldn't be surprised to see the 97s reappear on the market. Snakebite

Or if one gets used in a zombie movie, then all the little mall ninjas will want one too.

I don't know about them still being imported, but I can tell you that gun distributors still have them. I recently pointed a couple of shooters to a local gun shop that was happy to order brand new IAC's that arrived two or three days after the order was placed.

If Obama can do it by executive order they very well could be.

There has been no ATF ruling................Yet, Just a proposal

Well, anybody who has 5 Winchester 97's is a friend of mine..... :D

..........Widder

Thanks Widder; One of my Cowboy shooting friends has 10 of them. I read a post about a guy(not a cowboy shooter) who has over 200 of them. PIG!!!! Just sayin'

Big Jake

Big Jake, I'm, hereby, imposing a 20% 1897 Winchester tax. Send me 20% of your pump guns. :ph34r:

Rufus

Your 20% tax is noted. Since your demand of pump guns didn't say which pump guns, can I send Remington 870's instead? Maybe you'd prefer a Winchester 1890 .22 long rifle pump gun, or I have a Colt Lightning rifle in 38-40 with a pump on it.

One of my Winchester 1897's was made in 1913 and has a 30 inch full choke barrel and a 26 inch cyl bore barrel both serial numbered to the gun. Try and find a Chinchester with that option. Just sayin'

Big Jake

One of my Winchester 1897's was made in 1913 and has a 30 inch full choke barrel and a 26 inch cyl bore barrel both serial numbered to the gun. Try and find a Chinchester with that option. Just sayin'

Big Jake

I would try to sell it at a premium and after that failed, then I would install the better of the two barrels on the gun and then cut it to 20 inches, install a big old front bead on it and go shooting. Then sell the other barrel. Just saying.

Blastmaster

Archived