SASS Wire Forum

Its 1850,

Slowhand Bob, 24229

... Alright, ya fired your first two pard, what ya got now?

A knife for your gut!

The Comancheros takes place in the mid-1850's (West texas is unsettled and mexico is recovering from loosing the Mex War). Duke carries his forever-present '92 Winchester. With this logic, I would choose to carry a Colt Python in 1850's.

Actually, I believe that knives were the final level of personal protection in 1850 and 'a knife is always loaded'. My personal choice of pistols in 1850 would be the double-action Adams out of England (.41 caliber, 7-shot, solid frame). The 1851 and 1860 Colt's were better than the Adams, but they did not exist in 1850.

Since a miscreant was unlikely to have a revolver, I'd expect a 10 ga percussion shotgun cut to about 18" would be just fine. If whapping em up side the head didn't produce sedation, a couple of ounces of lead would take the starch out of em.

Oh, BTW, a .32 revolver in the boot and a big knife on the belt wouldn't be a bad idea either.

PaleWolf, I have been to busy in the shop for the last few days to get the pictures I promised, so just in case, I would like your opinion on something. Since I am asking as an individual with no connection it should not be a commercial post SO, what you think of those Slix Stix? I have several short barl cap and ball pistols that could sure use some extra leverage.

PaleWolf, I have been to busy in the shop for the last few days to get the pictures I promised, so just in case, I would like your opinion on something. Since I am asking as an individual with no connection it should not be a commercial post SO, what you think of those Slix Stix? I have several short barl cap and ball pistols that could sure use some extra leverage.

Howdy Bob,

The SliX-Hand is indispensable for loading the shorter versions...and a definite 'palm saver' for charging the standard models as well.

(see the article in the May 2011 "Cowboy Chronicle" p.8)

PWB

(Not affiliated with TK4B Enterprises or Desperado Cowboy Bullets)

I use one and like it very much.... I'm able to push my balls up real tight.

Snakebite

Howdy Bob,

The SliX-Hand is indispensable for loading the shorter versions...and a definite 'palm saver' for charging the standard models as well.

(see the article in the May 2011 "Cowboy Chronicle" p.8)

PWB

(Not affiliated with TK4B Enterprises or Desperado Cowboy Bullets)

OR

a 6" piece of 1/2" diameter CPVC water pipe as a cheater bar. Works a treat to prevent damage to delicate hands while loading.....

This question was addressed in The Magnificent Seven...

"Why not hire men? Men are cheaper than guns."

Jest hire yo'sef a posse armed with those ol' single shot guns and whomp up on those baddies!!

Below is a link to my pair of 44 Pietta '51s, like PaleWolfs pair. Second photo down shows guns and a knife that I got from Atlanta Cutlery many years ago but the sheath had no belt loop provisions, possibly a boot knife? I liked the knife a lot and even liked the simple sheath but decided to make it usable this morning. I attached a Sam Browne button stud to the stainless top band and used this to attach a Mexican Loop style back and belt loop. At the bottom of the page is a plain ruff out holster with suede that I made a pair like to go with the pistols earlier but now I think I will make fancier holsters to better match the knife sheath. The hard part will be finding the imitation buffalo horn revolver grips to match the knife scales. Kinda funny how we get into matched sets when it is a sure bet that it would not have been common on the early plains.

http://home.comcast.net/~gakracker/site/?/page/MY_PERSONAL_LEATHER_/&PHPSESSID=f4737f754b0d492132a6f8fb8b121de6

Archived