SASS Wire Forum

While we are on the subject of BP brass...

I have a couple of canvas that I use to dump the brass in during the shoots. After a while, I ended up with holes in the bags. I'm assuming it's from the brass, but don't really know. Any ideas?

I have a couple of canvas (bags) that I use to dump the brass in during the shoots. After a while, I ended up with holes in the bags. I'm assuming it's from the brass, but don't really know. Any ideas?

It's from the potassium hydroxide component in BP fouling that eats the canvas material. KOH is one of the chemicals in BP fouling. It's also what corrodes the brass into green fuzz. The more humid the air is, the more likely the fouling is soft, even liquid, and it smears or drains out onto the bag. KOH is a close cousin of NaOH (aka, lye) (aka, drain cleaner). Get lye on your jeans, you will see holes there too.

If it was from the brass, folks using canvas bags for their smokeless shells would be complaining, too.

Good luck, GJ

It's from the potassium hydroxide component in BP fouling that eats the canvas material. KOH is one of the chemicals in BP fouling. It's also what corrodes the brass into green fuzz. The more humid the air is, the more likely the fouling is soft, even liquid, and it smears or drains out onto the bag. KOH is a close cousin of NaOH (aka, lye) (aka, drain cleaner). Get lye on your jeans, you will see holes there too.

If it was from the brass, folks using canvas bags for their smokeless shells would be complaining, too.

Good luck, GJ

Joe, how do you put a stop to it? Do you have to wash or rinse the bag periodically?

Howdy

I use empty shot bags for my empties. Not the flimsy bags that shot usually comes in today, these are a slightly heavier and sturdier weave. I have been using the same bag for seven or eight years now. I always dump my brass directly into the bag complete with all the fouling. Real Black Powder, Goex or Schuetzen. I never rinse my brass until I reach the car at the end of the match. I never wash or rinse the bag. So far, I have no holes in the bag, from fouling or anything else.

Get a heavier bag.

My solution - a buckskin bag for used brass. But, it's a lot drier here in NM and AZ than where you guys are.

GJ

Archived