SASS Wire Forum

Marlin rifle NEED HELP

MMJ#89586

Well if you remember I've had some major problems with my new Marlin 45. Sent it in because it wouldn't load or extract. Got it back last week and tried it out. Now it will extract about 8 rounds but won't pull the last 2 out. Called Cabelas and they said they would send it BACK IN AGAIN! Called a local gun smith and he said that he would take a look at it. I'm not sure what to do with this thing. Cabelas won't do any type of exchange. I took it in yesterday and they told me it was the ammo I was using. So I bought more ammo from them but still have the same problem. That cost me $40. :wacko::wacko::wacko:

Longhunter is a great suggestion...I had a feeding problem with my Marlin not an extraction but I took out the spring in the magazine and cleaned in there real good.There was way more gunk in there that I would have thought.Not sure if this will help but sure could'nt hurt.

Sgt H :FlagAm:

Go to Marauders website. Start with the section on tuning the extractor on your marlin. If your extractor can't move due to the bend of the spring it will be hard to feed and extraction will be spotty. If that doesn't cure your problem then try the Widdermatic conversion. If the changes are beyond your skill level then send it out.

MMJ:

First, try to find out whats going on during the cycling process that is causing this problem.

Using DUMMY rounds, slowly cycle a couple rounds and see if the extractor is actually positioning itself over the case rim during the closing of your bolt. It appears that either your extractor spring is overly stiff and preventing it from pushing over the case rim on some of your brass OR, the little cut away scallop on your barrel at the chamber entrance might be burred or not cut properly and therefore is misaligning the extractor tip from contacting the case rim during the ejection cycle.

Yes, you can visit Marauders website to see pixs of how to better tune your extractor spring.

But if your spring has already been properly tuned, there is a possibility that its not making proper contact with the case rim during the extraction process.

Other things come to my mind but we won't go there just yet.

Keep us informed. We all want you to have a good, dependable rifle.

Let me add that a good Cowboy gunsmith, like LongHunter or Jimmy Spurs, would be a wise choice to send it to.

..........Widder

You might go on over to the Marlin Owners Forum.

They have a RANT section, (you have to join the forum to get access to this section).

I would send the gunsmith bill to Marlin since they tried and did not get it right.

I would also contact Freedom Group Inc if Marlin refuses to pay.

Good Luck

You might go on over to the Marlin Owners Forum.

They have a RANT section, (you have to join the forum to get access to this section).

I would send the gunsmith bill to Marlin since they tried and did not get it right.

I would also contact Freedom Group Inc if Marlin refuses to pay.

Good Luck

That's a good idea.

Well I got the gun back and tried it out. The gs said that the extractor spring was real weak. He said all he had to do was tweak the spring and file just a little on the extractor. Shot it yesterday and it works like a champ. Finally!!! One question we both have is it appears that when I first sent the gun to Marlin they ground on the tip of the extractor, why? We have no clue.

One question we both have is it appears that when I first sent the gun to Marlin they ground on the tip of the extractor, why? We have no clue.

Do any impact marks show up in the relief cut where the extractor fits into a cut in the rear of the barrel/chamber area? Perhaps they noticed that the extractor was hitting the barrel and relieved it a little. If the extractor continually dings on the barrel area, the extractor tip breaks off.

Good luck, GJ

Archived