SASS Wire Forum

black powder cheaper than smokeless

Trigger Mike

Georgia Arms is the exception as their 45LC is 25.50 but every where else I look, Cabelas, and all sell it for 35, whether you get Winchester or Ultramax. Powder Inc has black Dawge for less

http://www.blackdawgecartridge.com/cgi-bin/bdstore/perlshop.cgi?ACTION=thispage&thispage=bd_ammo.html&ORDER_ID=293861306

Let's put it like this...........If they were giving away smokless powder for free I would still go out and buy real BP.Way more smiles per the $$$ and for sure way more fun.No it is not more work to clean the guns either!It is a labor of love just as it is to load real BP

Sgt H :FlagAm:

I agree with all of the above. B)

I actually tallied up the cost and it's more like $8.50 to load a box of 50, .44-40s. It all depends on what ya pay fer the components.

Looks like I am now reloading at $7.61 for a box of 50. Using new brass the price is $15.37/50. While I have proven to quite a few guys on the range that, yes, I can reload smokeless, I just choose not to.

Shooting Black Powder, Goex is my preference, for me is the fun of shooting Cowboy.

My grandpa taught me that a firearm is a tool. If you want it to be reliable and work every time you need it, then you need to take care of it. That means, each time you use it, you clean it before you put it back in the tool shed, gun case, safe, whatever.

Really, I would be cleaning my guns pretty much the same way using the same amount of time whether I was shooting smokeless or BP. The cleaners and oils that I use may be a bit different, but I am still going to clean them after each use. You can flame me for that and tell me how I am over-cleaning my smokeless guns. but each time I do, it reminds me a bit of the great times that I had with my grandpa.

And you'll never take that away from me.

Archived