SASS Wire Forum

how much blowback on 38 special

Trigger Mike

I shoot APP, case loaded to the base of the bullet with a tight crimp, and get almost no blowback. The carrier on my 73 after 6 stages is almost spotless, definitely cleaner than when I shoot smokeless. Same with pistols, very little fouling in the chambers.

Hey TM:

If ya shoot BP in yer .38 rifle, expect some blowback to get back into the action of your gun.

Expect to have to squirt Ballistol around your toggle-link carrier during a match.

44.40 & 38.40 seal really well.

Straight wall cases do not seal as well.

My wife's .38 1866 shoots BP really well.

Lassiter did the action work and releived the sides of the carrier to keep it from fouling out.

My .38 1866 gums up after 7 shots or so.

I've gone to loading APP in my .38 rifle cartridges.

Easy to use & doesn't gum up my rifle -- but way more pricey.

I load BP into my pistol cartridges and .45s and .44-40s

--Dawg

I can run my .38 pistols for a regular match with cases full of 2f with no problem.The Marlin in .38 needs a patch and a brush run through it every 2 or 3 stages or it gets finicky about feeding.But my 66 in 44WCF just shoots for sure is cleaner than the 38 at the end of the day.

Sgt H :FlagAm:

I can't make any statements concerning the sub powders as I will not shoot them for many reasons. To each his own. Any straight walled case will have blow back from the firing of BP. That is the nature of the beast but you can do things that lessen the effects of it. First with the 38 spl use 3F and fill the case so that when you seat the bullet,you will hear a slight crunching noise. The faster the load the less the blow back will be. If you want you may also anneal your case mouths if you want to spend that time. I would not for a normal SASS match.Use a bullet that is around a 20-1 alloy. This is a great lead alloy as the bullets will obturate in the bore and seal it. This does not allow the gases to go into the action. If you are using commercial bullets then you can almost bet they are too hard. The 20-1 alloy will give you about a 10BHN bullet which is perfect for BP. If you go on the net and key in Whyte's Leather you will have the site of Springfield Slim. He makes and sells the Big Lube Bullets for the 38 spl. They are called the snakebites. Using this set up will allow you to shoot an entire match with no problems. Later

I shoot GOEX FFFg, 22 grains of it under a 158 grain Snakebite Greasewagon bullet and get zero blowback.

I shoot 38 spl with American Pioneer Powder. Fouling is nothing like the 45LC, but by the end of 6 stages, I will have some buildup on the front edges of the carrier. If there is little to no humidity, it may start to stick some. I just put a little spit in each corner, work the action, and she's good to go. :P

Archived