SASS Wire Forum

Looking for 10 ga brass shells

Doc Coles SASS 1188

A while back in Southern California, I ran into a very nice lady shooting a 10ga double and using new made brass shells. She told me that they were a bit thicker, sort of an "everlasting" shell. Does anyone know about these and where they can be found? My best pal and I just came across a couple of 10ga guns, his is an 1878 Colt Hammer gun and mine an 1887 Winchester, so we want to load some BP and start having some fun. We just need the shells. I don't want to use any of the old originals, both because they tend to be expensive and are often quite brittle due to the loss of zinc over the years.

A while back in Southern California, I ran into a very nice lady shooting a 10ga double and using new made brass shells. She told me that they were a bit thicker, sort of an "everlasting" shell. Does anyone know about these and where they can be found? My best pal and I just came across a couple of 10ga guns, his is an 1878 Colt Hammer gun and mine an 1887 Winchester, so we want to load some BP and start having some fun. We just need the shells. I don't want to use any of the old originals, both because they tend to be expensive and are often quite brittle due to the loss of zinc over the years.

You might try Rocky Mountain Cartridge at www.rockymountaincartridge.com

They sell 10ga brass in three different lengths: 2 5/8, 2 7/8, 3 1/2"

Their brass is thicker than Magtech's brass shells. I don't think Magtech sells 10ga brass anyway.

You might try Rocky Mountain Cartridge at www.rockymountaincartridge.com

They sell 10ga brass in three different lengths: 2 5/8, 2 7/8, 3 1/2"

Their brass is thicker than Magtech's brass shells. I don't think Magtech sells 10ga brass anyway.

Yikes!! $73 for 20?! That's $3.65 each for empty brass! I shoot some pretty expensive calibers, but that takes the cake! That's even more than Norma 416 Rigby brass. The 10ga will be a safe queen at that rate. I hope that is not the only choice.

If that price came off RMC's Web site, it's an old, old price - I believe they're upward of $8 a copy now. These are turned/machined cases, and they take a little time. Even $3.65 apiece would be a screaming deal on vintage original cases - this weekend, I paid $5 per for ten more used pieces to add to my stash - I think I've got 102 now. I've paid as little as $3.00 - $3.50 for an odd case here and there, and up to about $5.50, but they tend to average ~$4.50. Check gunbroker and you'll find everyone who has one or two for sale seems to think they're worth twenty or thirty bucks apiece!

I just checked RMC's site and their quote for shotshells is for a box of TEN pieces, so currently they are $7.30 - $10.00 apiece... plus shipping.

If that price came off RMC's Web site, it's an old, old price - I believe they're upward of $8 a copy now. These are turned/machined cases, and they take a little time. Even $3.65 apiece would be a screaming deal on vintage original cases - this weekend, I paid $5 per for ten more used pieces to add to my stash - I think I've got 102 now. I've paid as little as $3.00 - $3.50 for an odd case here and there, and up to about $5.50, but they tend to average ~$4.50. Check gunbroker and you'll find everyone who has one or two for sale seems to think they're worth twenty or thirty bucks apiece!

I just checked RMC's site and their quote for shotshells is for a box of TEN pieces, so currently they are $7.30 - $10.00 apiece... plus shipping.

Well, I'll be dipped. It's worse than I thought. I have always thought the price of brass shells a bit higher than the demand would support (I had about 250 old 12ga brass shells that I hauled around to gun shows for years with no takers, I finally marked them $1 each and sold the lot in a weekend (every one else was asking $2-3)). I have a bunch of the new made 12ga shells and use them for my Spencer and other short chambered guns. Now I will have to start looking for 10ga cases, make some of my own or just bite the bullet and pay the mordita. I would suspect that brass 10ga shells are a bit thin on the ground up here in Alaska.

Magtech does not make 'em.

Rocky Mountain IS expensive, but they are the last shells yule ever buy for that gun and 20 years from now, yule be able to sell them for more than you paid for them.

And they use shotgun primers.

--Dawg

Of course, if you're going to shoot those heavy walled RMC cases in a 10g, you're defeating the purpose of shooting a 10g in the first place because the case capacity will be about the same as a 12g.

True...got any leads on 10a paper hulls? :D

Howdy Sod Buster

If you just want to shoot your 10GA. just buy federal plastic cases from Midway $25.00 for fifty plus shipping.

I have plenty of brass cases for my 12ga. none for my 10ga.

Dusty Ed :rolleyes::FlagAm:

I have found 18 used ones at various gun shows, yard sales, etc in about 2 years of lookin. I use them for my 10 sxs for the bp night shoots. I always keep my eyes open and have friends lookin to. Hard to find, but not impossible. I also use my 10 for geese and turkey and save all my old plastic empties too.

I've been thinking of buying the brass cases for a year. I keep returning to the fact that for the price of 30 to run a shoot, I can buy a 12 ga. double. I have been experimenting with light 10ga. loads in the plastic 3 1/2 cases. But in the double I would like to shoot black and I understand plastic cases do not last long with black. :blush:

True...got any leads on 10a paper hulls? :D

BPI used to offer 10g paper hulls, but you still have the same problem with capacity. All I see now are plastic ones.

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/products.asp?dept=75

MY 10G BRASS, I never get tired of showing it off! :P

Of course, if you're going to shoot those heavy walled RMC cases in a 10g, you're defeating the purpose of shooting a 10g in the first place because the case capacity will be about the same as a 12g.

BPI used to offer 10g paper hulls, but you still have the same problem with capacity. All I see now are plastic ones.

http://www.ballistic...cts.asp?dept=75

MY 10G BRASS, I never get tired of showing it off! :P

Dang J Bar, if'n yer concerned 'bout dem thick-walled 10g cases not holdin' 'nough powder, FILL THEM BOYS UP! From the look of yer pics, you could stuff anudder 30 grains in them hulls. ;)

ol' poke

Dang J Bar, if'n yer concerned 'bout dem thick-walled 10g cases not holdin' 'nough powder, FILL THEM BOYS UP! From the look of yer pics, you could stuff anudder 30 grains in them hulls. ;)

ol' poke

Heh, heh, there's plenty of room left, for sure! I use X00 - X10 grains of BP and 1 3/16 - 1 1/4 oz shot.

Archived