SASS Wire Forum

I need some help!

Slick McClade

Hey Pards,

I'm looking for some help with a very light 410 load. My 9yr old daughter is going to EOT with me this year and I need a very light 410 load for her to shoot. Any loading data or information on someone that might sell some light loads would greatly be appreciated. I bought a case of Remington STS and they are way to strong for her, she is very much a girly girl :wub:.

Thanks in advance,

Slick & Lily Bleu

The problem with .410s is that they use pistol (or similar) powders, and we all know the dangers of loading those too lite. You would be better off adding as much weight as she can hold to the gun. Alternatively, you can get some "Little Skeeters" that allow you to shoot .410 out of a 12ga. The Little Skeeters will also allow you to progressively work her through 28 and 20ga without changing guns. Somebody on shotgunworld.com usually has some for sale, as they they are useless for skeet shooting.

I have made black powder loads for a 410 and a small shooter. The key is to get enough powder in there. Put about 35 grains (volume measure)into the hull. Trial seat a plastic wad down onto the powder and note how much of the shot cup you have to trim back so that the tips of the shotcup are about 1/4 inch below the mouth of the hull. Then trim all your plastic shot cups to that length so you can get a decent crimp. Put in enough shot to fill the cup so you get a good crimp. You will probably get about 1/2 an ounce of shot in there. Use #8 or #9 shot to get as dense a load as possible.

This was a dipper and Lee tabletop loader affair. But they worked and even took the knockdowns down with virtually no recoil. And the kid loved the smoke!

Archived