SASS Wire Forum

Ballistol's Many Uses?

I had one bad experience years ago with Ballistol (although admittedly, it was with a BP substitute), and have not used it since. Been using Breakfree for quite a while. Because of some pistola fouling problems recently, I'm wanting to try it again. I am shooting real BP nowadays, BTW. I need all of your uses for Ballistol, including any home recipes with the stuff for cleaning, lubricating, etc. Thanks in advance.

The Ballistol website is a good place to start. I picked up a couple of extra cans this past weekend. I think I'm going to even use it on my smokeless pistols and rifles this summer to see how I like it. I read a printout at Cutter's Raiders yesterday and it was originally developed to use with smokeless powders for cleaning and lubricating. According to some information here the Navy SEALS use or used Ballistol for weapon maintenance. As well as the Coast Guard and other agencies. Look under firearms for the reference.

I shoot nothing but real BP, unless I'm shooting WB, but I use Ballistol on smokeless also. I'm with the Murphy's mix crowd for cleaning BP, 1/3 alcohol - 1/3 peroxide - 1/3 Murphy's oil soap. After the guns are clean I spray, wipe, and patch with Ballistol. One thing I do at the range is, after the match I spray a little Ballistol down the pipes of the firearms, wipe off excess and put in gun case. Makes clean up easier, or if I don't want to clean them for a few days it protects them in the safe. Good Luck :)

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

ps, Ballistol also goes good on pancakes :lol:

I had one bad experience years ago with Ballistol (although admittedly, it was with a BP substitute), and have not used it since. Been using Breakfree for quite a while. Because of some pistola fouling problems recently, I'm wanting to try it again. I am shooting real BP nowadays, BTW. I need all of your uses for Ballistol, including any home recipes with the stuff for cleaning, lubricating, etc. Thanks in advance.

MMM, what was the "bad experience"?

I use the following process:

1. wife's kitchen sink-electric pot of boiling hot water and run through the revolver parts, rifle parts, or shotgun parts.

2. while still hot, spray liberally with Murphy's oil mix (1/3 water, 1/3 Murphy's oil soap, and 1/3 alcohol).

3. wipe down all parts, wood and all with Ballistol.

Matt I use it as an after cleaning lube and usually carry a small spary can for mid match duty should a bp gun get sticky. Also have used it on cowboy boots with no ill effects after brushing off the dust and dirt from the range. Anyone else noticed that the aerosol form is really fine? Seems everytime I spary something I either cough or sneeze a couple of times.

MMM, what was the "bad experience"?

When I first started shooting BP, I did not have any reloading stuff, so I bought some BP-sub factory loaded ammo from a well-known and reliable ammo manufacturer. If memory serves, it was one of the older BP subs that is not around anymore (I think it was called Cleanshot). Anyway, after spraying down my almost brand new at the time 73 with Ballistol, the rifle carrier locked up on me bigger than anything. Darn thing looked like it was coated with road tar. Later on, I was told by numerous shooters that sub BP's and Ballistol do not get along. I have not used Ballistol since, although I'm now loading only real BP.

I use Ballistrol the same way as most. Also use the mixture of murphy soap etc; It's used on everything then ballistrol is use to lub after cleaning is finished. I use the same procedure for real BP and smokeless. I also use Ballistrol on my mountain bike chain, gear, and transfer linkage. I like it for everything which needs a light lubing. keeps things running smooth and doesn't seem to gum up a much as other lubs.

When I first started shooting BP, I did not have any reloading stuff, so I bought some BP-sub factory loaded ammo from a well-known and reliable ammo manufacturer. If memory serves, it was one of the older BP subs that is not around anymore (I think it was called Cleanshot). Anyway, after spraying down my almost brand new at the time 73 with Ballistol, the rifle carrier locked up on me bigger than anything. Darn thing looked like it was coated with road tar. Later on, I was told by numerous shooters that sub BP's and Ballistol do not get along. I have not used Ballistol since, although I'm now loading only real BP.

Matt,

BP & Ballistol will do that if you do not completely and thoroughly clean the smokeless residue and lubricant from your guns. Same thing happened to me once when I tried to put a few BP rounds through my Marlin. Clean and dry completely, lube with Ballistol or other BP friendly lube.

CR

I use Ballistol but mix it a little different, instead of water I mix it with rubbing alcohol. If I need to spray my carrier while shooting black powder I find the Ballahol mix dries much more quickly than with water. It carry's away fouling and debris to me more quickly that Ballistol and water

I also use it for cleaning smokeless just about use it for lubricating everything. Although I do use Ezzox for long term preservation and Rig grease in the bores,other wise everything gets Ballistol. Adios Sgt. Jake

OK, seriously now.

I am part of the Murphy's Mix crowd. After I clean my Black Powder guns with room temperature Murphy's Mix,one of the great benefits of MM, you don't have to heat it, I follow up with a little bit of Ballistol straight out of the bottle. I generally soak one patch with Ballistol and run it down the bore and into the chambers of a gun, followed by a dry patch to soak up the excess. This leaves a nice rust inhibiting layer on the metal, but does not leave the metal soaking wet. I take the wet patch and wipe down all the surfaces of the gun. Finally, I work a little bit down into the lockwork with a q-tip, to provide a bit of rust prevention down inside.

I do not use one of the diluted Ballistol mixtures for my initial BP cleaning because of the cost of Ballistol. I prefer the Murphy's Mix because it is cheaper to buy the ingredients for it than to dilute Ballistol in water. I only use Ballistol full strength, and in sparing amounts.

I do not use Ballistol to clean Smokeless firearms. I ran a test a few years ago when I was cleaning my 1911. My tests showed that plain old Hoppes #9 was a superior smokeless solvent than Ballistol. Simply put, it required more elbow grease to clean the gun with Ballistol than with Hoppes. So I use Hoppes for Smokeless and Ballistol for Black Powder.

I don't shoot any subs.

I don't understand all the fuss with various solvents to clean firearms that shoot real BP.

Hot water, wipe, clear with air gun the nooks amd crannies (if available) and spray with Ballistol amd wipe excess away...that's it.

No need to make it more difficult than it needs to be.

GG

I shoot real Black powder and I use windex to clean and break free clp to lube. I don't use Balistol on my guns but if your leather boots get wet and then dry hard, Balistol works good to soften them up again. Just spray it on the leather were it has turned hard, loosens them right up.

I don't use it for cleaning any more. I tried all the magical recipes and found that Windex does the job just fine, I use a little Ballistol for lube on the innards.

I've had a big can for 8 years now. :lol:

Nothing like the right tools for the job!

I clean with hot Murphy's Mix, preserve with Eezox and I use Ballistol in winter when it's cold for a quickie range fix if one of my guns gets stubborn. I use Bore Butter in summer when it's hot. It smells better. Ballistol works, I just don't like the smell. It also has done a nice job with a little on a rag to clean up my boots before I head into dinner. The rest of me looks like a mess, but the boots look good.

I don't understand all the fuss with various solvents to clean firearms that shoot real BP.

Hot water, wipe, clear with air gun the nooks amd crannies (if available) and spray with Ballistol amd wipe excess away...that's it.

No need to make it more difficult than it needs to be.

GG

Gunner,

I totally agree. The Murphy's mix works well on the road, but Sunday's guns were cleaned in Iowa with hot water. Always finish with Ballistol

CR

I used it when my truck ran out of turn-signal fluid. I swear it works better !!!

And I spray a little on my guns between stages when shooting 777. Seems to keep them running for the match. :)

I'm not experienced like some of you, but I shot 10 stages without a glitch.....

1. Before the match I cleaned my guns with solvent and removed any smokeless lubricants and then lubed with Ballistol.

2. During the shoot I used Windex to spray the cylinder and the barrel. The guns worked great.....at the end of the day I used the Windex to spray the guns down and swabbed the barrel and chambers.

I did not have the first problem with either gun.....the biggest diff was making sure the smokeless lubes were absent from the guns.

KK

Howdy

I use it as a floor wax and a dessert topping.

I was hoping it would cure baldness.

No luck.

:angry:

What Yellowhouse said - Ballistol is great for burns - almost unbelievably good.

I also like to apply it to any open wounds - promotes healing faster than any first aid ointment I have ever used.

Oh yea, and I use it to clean my BP guns.

Archived