SASS Wire Forum

Why Does Tex Do It?

Well I see that JP Lower is at it again in the latest May CC and Tex published it. Here he is again (first article in Dec CC titled "Real Cowboys Shoot Duelist") bashing two handed shooters and folks that shoot with "tricks inside their guns and special loads". In his article he asks are you a "real cowboy shooter or a sissy in stacked heels"? Why does Tex publish such divisive articles (including ones that harshly bash other shooters), especially after the response from the Dec article? JP Lower seems to try to justify his thoughts by saying he doesn't see slicked up guns and no one shooting with two hands in the western movies?

As far as his question about a stock gun category, that seems to be a dead horse that has been discussed and discussed many times and every time it gets back to how do you define, control (and inspect) what is a stock gun? It also doesn't address how you would handle all the latest offerings from gun companies with much of the gunsmithing already done before the gun is boxed, just like special orders to the gun companies back in the old west. In addition many posters have suggested if there was really an interest in a stock gun category, someone would take the bull by the horns and start doing it in monthly shoots and see just how popular it really is and to my knowledge, no one has done so to date.

As far as shooting one handed, we already have many one handed categories.

Guess I'll have to read that one.....:unsure:

On the 'stock gun' issue:

I used to be happy shooting 'stock', but after a little action work done on my rifle and new hammers on my Vaquero's - shooting is a little easier for me, and that makes it more fun (for me at least) - and I am NOT a fast shooter, nor have these mods made me 'faster'....that will have to come on improving myself alone :P

I do remember the 'Real Shooters Shoot Duelist' article - and found it laughable...

We got a great game, and don't need articles that 'bash' the way, how, or what people shoot - if it's all within the rules of the game....all is good IMHO.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

As most of us know, it ain't about the gun.

My suspicion is that Tex agrees with the author of that piece (and may have written it himself using a pseudonym).

GCK, I highly doubt we'll ever see a "stock" gun category. I don't expect there is sufficient interest in such a thing.

The question is not "why does he do it", it's more like "who cares?".

Tex has been doing this for years which is why I don't read anything he writes. I still like looking at the CC and reading other articles, but I found I am much happier when I just flip past his editorial.

Change the channel - simple.

I think ol JP likes to pull folks chain...seems to work to!!!

Now if ol JP is serious about a stock-full load category!!

Wellllll...he should start one!!

Make or buy the trophy or better yet put-up a 50 buck donation to the SASS chapel, college fund, etc. in the name of the winner each month. :FlagAm:

Well JP is ya got the sand!!!!!!!! :ph34r:

BH :D

Maybe he thinks controversy creates fans. Perhaps he thinks that if it is printed/official material, folks will believe it as gospel.

I don't mind being the duck, I just let the water roll off of my back.........I just get tired of being goosed.

C.S.

Again, after looking at hundreds of our old family pictures and Tin Types, nobody, and I mean nobody had 2 guns. It was either a single pistol shoved in their britches and/or a single shot shotgun, and these weren't farmers or cattlemen, they were lawmen. Some were Marshal's, one was a County Sheriff and 2 were Pinkerton agents. So I'd say they used a 2 hand grip for sure! ;)

BSD

We got a great game, and don't need articles that 'bash' the way, how, or what people shoot - if it's all within the rules of the game....all is good IMHO.

I agree, I think he just likes to stir the pot :huh: Then he sits at home on his computer laughing at our replies :lol: ........Just like the meaningless article last month about boots :wacko:

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

It’s shameful when our leaders resort to, or condoning, name-calling when folks have a different point of view. It looks like some in SASS are following the same trends as our liberal leaders in Washington.

That being said, I have always heard that you should not judge SASS by what is said on the "Wire". I guess you can now say the same thing about the “Cowboy Chronicle".

Seeing as how there may not be a SASS without Tex and a very few others, and because he owns a considerable percentage of SASS, and because he is Editor-in-Chief of the CC, and because he's been around since Noah was playing with toy boats, he can because he can.

If you don't like it, there are a couple of options:

1. Don't renew your SASS membership.

2. Don't read the CC.

3. Start your own shooting society and build it up over a quarter of a century or more and do it your own way.

4. Stop taking yourself so seriously and have fun. Consider that somewhere around 100,000 people have joined SASS since it started and there aren't more than a handful who care about your opinion.....or mine.

Duelist is coolest ;)

Why does a dog lick himself? Cause he can......

Gunfighter is righter......;)

I agree, I think he just likes to stir the pot :huh: Then he sits at home on his computer laughing at our replies :lol: ........Just like the meaningless article last month about boots :wacko:

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

That's probably the case :lol:

(who is happy that folks shoot with one hand, both hands, or two hands, or a prosthetic device - at least your shootin')

Seeing as how there may not be a SASS without Tex and a very few others, and because he owns a considerable percentage of SASS, and because he is Editor-in-Chief of the CC, and because he's been around since Noah was playing with toy boats, he can because he can.

2. Don't read the CC.

3. Start your own shooting society and build it up over a quarter of a century or more and do it your own way.

4. Stop taking yourself so seriously and have fun. Consider that somewhere around 100,000 people have joined SASS since it started and there aren't more than a handful who care about your opinion.....or mine.

Well Said!! Enough Said!

2. Don't read the CC.

Yup.

I never get the drizzlies over anything I read in the CC.

Ya'll just do not understand!

It is very important that as many folks as possible be "impressed" with in fighting, arguing, and name calling to discourage them from doing SASS.

Evidently ya'll haven't figured this out yet.

Ya'll just do not understand!

It is very important that as many folks as possible be "impressed" with in fighting, arguing, and name calling to discourage them from doing SASS.

Evidently ya'll haven't figured this out yet.

yep, now you all see why I don't waste my money on belonging to SASS..with that being said, almost everybody I have met that was a SASS member was A-OK to me, as in any outfit there is always a loudmouth or trouble maker in the bunkhouse.

yep, now you all see why I don't waste my money on belonging to SASS..with that being said, almost everybody I have met that was a SASS member was A-OK to me, as in any outfit there is always a loudmouth or trouble maker in the bunkhouse.

Why Uncle Joe, I ain't never heard you string that many words in a row before. ;) See you in a couple of weeks I hope! :) Marlin

Why Uncle Joe, I ain't never heard you string that many words in a row before. ;) See you in a couple of weeks I hope! :) Marlin

I thunk about it for a piece afore I posted it, wouldn't have done it but felt like it needed saying from a non-member is all..I'm forward like that ya know. :lol:

No slicked up guns in the movies?? Dean Martin wanted to "file the action" on Walter Brennans borrowed gun in Rio Bravo.

No 2 handed shooting?? James Coburn in The Magnificent Seven took a 2 handed shot at the bandito fixin' to ride over the hill.

So much for his "it wasn't in the movies" statement. He obviously doesn't know what he's talking about, so ignore him.

"I'd like a short barreled Colt, in .45, easy on the hammer and light on the trigger. I want the front sight a little higher and thicker, Bat Masterson in a letter he sent to Colt. (Not exact quote but close):o

Ya think gunsmiths nowadays have the patent on "slickin' up guns. I don't believe that for a minute. Gunsmiths in the old west were fling, and sanding and doing all kinds of slickin' up.

Stock guns? Why? I like my slicked up Smoke Wagons and my ss rifles. Shoot what ya want and shoot HOW ya want. Myself, I shoot Frontier Cartrdige Duelist and I love it.B)

Well... sometimes, letters such as that (or "guest" editorials), elicit responses and provides something else to fill the space between ads. As Tex told me one time... if you read something you don't like, write a response and if appropriate, they'll publish it.

So... don't biotch on the Wire, write in a letter of your own.

EDITED to add: a little controversy sells... just look at TV news. Sweeps week you'll see all kinds of fol-da-rah being reported as "news". Print is the same.

Uh, Uncle Joe, I ain't always the sharpest tool in the shed... but I distinctly see a SASS# there in your on-screen profile. So ya joined at one time... unlike several of my friends that STILL aren't members after 24 years of shootin' cowboy style. Take yer badge, id card and mail 'em back... tell 'em to re-use 'em... then take your SASS # outta your profile. Like sayin' the day after ya quite smokin', "...I'm a 'non-smoker'"... not quite yet there pard.

Then again, if'n you're gonna use their bailiwick to play ball... you oughta sign up and pay for the priviledge till they refund your money and boot ya off.

View might be different from your saddle.

............ so, ... SASS # 81103 isn't the real you ? ... or you ain't really SASS # 81103 ...

In his article he asks are you a "real cowboy shooter or a sissy in stacked heels"?

Well, since we have a cart with wheels instead of a horse, and our iron targets aren't shooting back at us, I seriously doubt that any of us are "real cowboy shooters". I'm there to have fun, leave the male pis**** match for another venue. :blush:

BSD

Maybe he posts these highly charged op-ed pieces just to show how awful those rants and positions really are. I like the Chronicle for the pictures and interesting articles. It's fun to see people you know in there or perhaps another Larson E. Pettifogger gun article. The negative, opinionated crap is what I like to skip over or just not pay much attention to.

2. Don't read the CC.

What Forty Rod said B)

When I was little more than a pup I met a guy who was an aging pro wrestler, his night job, when he wasnt running trains. While talking to him he made note, "Folks really come watch to see the villains!" Well, I aint calling Tex a villain here but he does seem to frequently take the views that he knows will agitate the WIRE crowd, almost like he must have a sense of humor?? Funny thing is that if anyone even brings this stuff up at a local, and that seems rare, he gets about a fifty percent agreement rating, while here it comes up every month and his agreement ratio is almost zero. Leads me to wonder how in touch we regular WIRE chatters are and why we are so worried about his opinions? I think we voice our opinions on here pretty frequently and sometimes with a bit of abrasiveness towards dissenters, so why not just extend that right to Tex also. Dang, now I gots to go read what he said and I usually only like to read the history and how-to stuff!

Well... sometimes, letters such as that (or "guest" editorials), elicit responses and provides something else to fill the space between ads. As Tex told me one time... if you read something you don't like, write a response and if appropriate, they'll publish it.

So... don't biotch on the Wire, write in a letter of your own.

EDITED to add: a little controversy sells... just look at TV news. Sweeps week you'll see all kinds of fol-da-rah being reported as "news". Print is the same.

Uh, Uncle Joe, I ain't always the sharpest tool in the shed... but I distinctly see a SASS# there in your on-screen profile. So ya joined at one time... unlike several of my friends that STILL aren't members after 24 years of shootin' cowboy style. Take yer badge, id card and mail 'em back... tell 'em to re-use 'em... then take your SASS # outta your profile. Like sayin' the day after ya quite smokin', "...I'm a 'non-smoker'"... not quite yet there pard.

Then again, if'n you're gonna use their bailiwick to play ball... you oughta sign up and pay for the priviledge till they refund your money and boot ya off.

View might be different from your saddle.

Your right, I have went in and changed my profile, I did join for a year, decided I was never going to go big time and shoot other then local shoots, the CC did not make it worth the money just to receive it, I'm not a big time shooter, never have been probably never will be, I'm still young and enjoy other hobbies also, mainly doing about 15-18,000 miles a year on motorcycles..I do enjoy the local shoots very much, not a single person that I have shot with that I didn't like..I come here to read the wire, have interjected my thoughts a few times, and have had my hat handed to me once or twice, as you seemingly just did, I take it all in stride..I don't see how me either belonging to SASS or not belonging makes any differences in my life..if you or anybody can convince me how belonging will make me happier then I shall rejoin..as for the Wire, it seems to be a open forum if they wish to go private then that is their choice. then I, and some others will then have to decide do we enjoy it enough to, in my case, rejoin, or for others to join.

Having shot with Tex on many occasions I can tell you he not only talks the talk but walks the walk too. He shoots pretty danged good if you ask me, being "handicapped" by the guns and loads he uses. :blink:

I think he writes or allows to be published certain articles in the same manner as newspaper editors use columnists to write pointed and perhaps divisive articles in an effort to make the rest of us THINK. Stimulate a healthy discussion on new (or old) issues.

Stock gun? C'mon, give me a break. At this point in the game there's no way a stock gun catagory would work, not with the many offerings of "race ready" guns out there.

Light loads? Well, I know some cowboys and cowgirls that use loads at the minimum because they have medical issues. I also know some who use light loads because they think it makes'em faster. Well, they're playing by the rules and they ARE faster so.......what?

Two hands versus one hand. Hey, you shoot your game your way, I'll shoot mine my way......

Archived