SASS Wire Forum

"Fair winds and a following sea."

:FlagAm:USS George H.W. Bush Departs for Maiden Deployment

From USS George H.W. Bush Public Affairs

NORFOLK (NNS) -- The George H.W. Bush Carrier Strike Group (GHWB CSG) departed for its maiden deployment May 11.

The strike group, led by the Navy's newest aircraft carrier, USS George H.W. Bush (CVN 77), and its nearly 6,000 Sailors; is scheduled to conduct operations in the U.S. Navy's 6th and 5th Fleet areas of responsibility.

The deployment is part of an ongoing rotation of U.S. forces supporting maritime security operations in international waters around the globe.

Working with allied and partner maritime forces, GHWB CSG units will focus heavily on maritime security operations and theater security cooperation efforts which help establish conditions for regional stability.

"The George H.W. Bush Strike Group is ready to go," said Rear Adm. Nora Tyson, commander of GHWB CSG. "These Sailors have worked extremely hard over the last year and we are fully prepared to execute any and all tasking in support of the nation's maritime strategy."

The five ships and eight aircraft squadrons of GHWB CSG consist of approximately 6,000 Sailors who have spent the last year conducting intensive training and certification exercises to establish a safe, cohesive organization capable of performing a wide variety of missions across the globe, ranging from counter-piracy and ground support operations to humanitarian assistance and disaster relief.

The George H.W. Bush Strike Group consists of Carrier Strike Group (CSG) 2, Carrier Air Wing (CVW) 8, Destroyer Squadron (DESRON) 22 staff, USS George H.W. Bush (CVN 77), guided-missile cruisers USS Gettysburg (CG 64) and USS Anzio (CG 68), and guided-missile destroyers USS Truxtun (DDG 103) and USS Mitscher (DDG 57).

Godspeed and kick butt! :FlagAm:

I about fell off my chair when I read this post as I was looking forward to the article with anticipation. They've got a girl in command of the battle group. I am so glad I'm not part of the US military anymore. I could not get along with all its political correctness. Call me whatever you like, but there are just places where girls do not belong!

PF

I about fell off my chair when I read this post as I was looking forward to the article with anticipation. They've got a girl in command of the battle group. I am so glad I'm not part of the US military anymore. I could not get along with all its political correctness. Call me whatever you like, but there are just places where girls do not belong!

PF

I used to hear that in law enforcement all the time. That proved to be wrong. Political correctness has nothing to do with it. It's about ability not gender.

Women have proven their ability to command. I doubt there's a "girl" in charge of the battle group. However, the physical differences between the sexes make serving in a front line combat unit at this time problematic. I have no doubt that they are as capable of killing the enemy as men are, especially in a command role that requires brains.

Well said, UB!

After a LIFETIME (and I do mean from when I was born into an Air Force family) of being around and working for the military, some of the best officers I have known have been women. Competency and leadership ability counts!

Neither ability, nor being an a**hole, is restricted by gender.

eGG

Geez, I've been taking orders from females all my life...Mom, girlfriends, wife, daughter, granddaughters...what's new? I wish we had Margaret Thatcher in the White House these days. I bet Adm. Tyson can cut it.

Archived