SASS Wire Forum

Down Range Props

owen judice

I'm thinking about building some down range props for my club, I have a good supply of salvaged lumber. Any one have any ideas or pictures of fun props they have seen or built.

I'm thinking about building some down range props for my club, I have a good supply of salvaged lumber. Any one have any ideas or pictures of fun props they have seen or built.

Owen Judice...

About the only down range props I've ever seen were steel...

I have a target holder (made personally for Lacey & I to practice with) made out of wood..

It gets shot up quite regularly... (We ain't perfect shooters :blush: )

Just thinking if you're building down range props out of wood.. your gonna be repairing down range props from that point on... Just my humble opinion.. :blush:

Your time :rolleyes: ... your work :rolleyes: ... your lumber :rolleyes: go for it..

Rance <_<

I have always thought it would be fun to have the front side of a building downrange. You know the scene. You and the rest of the good guys are hiding behind the wagon wheel while the bad guys shoot at you from inside the saloon or barn. Just make the doors and windows big enough to put the steel past them and shoot through them. I know you might have to patch the occasional hole, but come on, most cowboy shooters could manage to miss the broadside of a barn if you gave them the chance :)!

I have always thought it would be fun to have the front side of a building downrange. You know the scene. You and the rest of the good guys are hiding behind the wagon wheel while the bad guys shoot at you from inside the saloon or barn. Just make the doors and windows big enough to put the steel past them and shoot through them. I know you might have to patch the occasional hole, but come on, most cowboy shooters could manage to miss the broadside of a barn if you gave them the chance :)!

I do have a barn prop down range right now, it is the 3rd one, also have a livery stable with targets in the windows. The lumber I use is free just a little work to clean up the boards. Was thinking of crates or barrels that kind of stuf. It doesn't matter if it get shot up, we use the old shot up or broken props for fire wood in winter.

Thanks Ali the Oakwood Outlaws have some thing very similier. We also have a wagon prop down range that needs to be replaced. I use cable spool wheels for wagon wheels.

Make a good ole' water trough - you could have a steel arm 'target' that goes up and down that you can shoot at - Pale Rider could be the theme (Preacher , lying down behind the water through , raises his arm and shoots one of the bad guys )

:D

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Hi Owen,

We have a downrange prop that is a mission with a bell in it's tower. The bell can be a challenge sometimes.

Regards,

Allie Mo

Allie Mo.. neat target.. mission bell.. I can see where it could be a challange... out there a ways but looks like fun..

Owen.. Sounds like you've got a plan.. recycle the wood for winter firewood... that's a good thing...

Happy building :)

Rance <_<

The most common downrange or mid range prop I've seen are cacti. HERE is a link to some pictures from an annual at Pawnee Station, you can scroll thru and see the props in some pictures.

Grizz

Thanks Dave, I have stared working on some of those, not as nice, kinda peiced together. We did a wooden outhouse years ago and that was the target, after the match we put the now bullet ridden outhouse near the porta potty and hung a sign on it that said "this is what happened the last time a man peed on the floor of the outhouse".

We, Klamath Cowboys, built 3 train cars ( 1 sheet plywood each )

With windows and placed cowboy targets in the windows, we also had a set of train targets too..

used them for rifle or pistol, too (at different times) All train stuff to have on a stage that way. Bell target too.

We used them for quite a while, and we knew

right up front, that they'd get bullet holes, but the spatter did the worst damage.

They were fun, But alas, they were no more.

Did this with one sheet of plywood for a stage coach too.

We knew going in, that the wood wouldn't last.

Another Club I'm a member at, The Table Rock Rangers have a whole building, that we shoot into, at steel,

and walk down the hallway to the back of the building to shoot too.

That's Fun too !!

WHY

I do have a barn prop down range right now, it is the 3rd one, also have a livery stable with targets in the windows. The lumber I use is free just a little work to clean up the boards. Was thinking of crates or barrels that kind of stuf. It doesn't matter if it get shot up, we use the old shot up or broken props for fire wood in winter.

Sounds like I want to come visit your shoot!

down range props rock on mann

they really control splatter ALSO

once apon a time

way back when I started :unsure::blush::blush:

sure hope fillyslimfast reads that

anyways

back in the day

some really smart fellers................... built a down range prop / facade :ph34r:

only :lol: they hid :lol:

a water trough, >where as< ya cud not see it

I steps up to the plate

the buzzer goes off, tellin me too

.....................................git-er-done

I comence to fire my rifle

and get distracted by splashing water

from the lead splatter under the target

what a hoot that was

good lead trap too (I suppose)

Archived