SASS Wire Forum

Gates on Operational Security

Well now....

I'm encouraged to read the content of Sec. Gates recent comments to Marine personnel about the release of details of the OBL mission, including the following:

"We are very concerned about the security of our families – of your families and our troops, and also these elite units that are engaged in things like that. And without getting into any details ... I would tell you that when I met with the team last Thursday, they expressed a concern about that, and particularly with respect to their families," Gates told the audience.

"Frankly, a week ago Sunday, in the Situation Room, we all agreed that we would not release any operational details from the effort to take out bin Laden. That all fell apart on Monday, the next day."

The Marine's question (about the security of the SEAL's families) underscored sentiment among military and intelligence communities that identification of the team signified an unprecedented breach of confidentiality.

A Pentagon spokesman later cautioned against interpreting Gates' response "as a criticism of any particular person or office."

"He was indeed voicing his concern about the breakdown in operational security after the killing of Bin Laden," Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense Geoff Morrell said. "Anonymous sources revealing secret information about the tactics, training, and equipment of covert forces put at risk our ability to successfully mount similar missions in the future."

Those "sources" didn't seem too anonymous to me....

LL

Gates knows what he's doing. Unfortunately, most of the rest of them are clueless. :angry: :angry:

OpSec obviously goes out the window in favor of potential political gains.

Way too much info is being released to the media,

He this whole thing became a media circus. The talk shows were all parading out retired military and any body else that they could find that even had mentioned the word of special ops.

We even had people that didn't know the muzzle of a rifle from a Higgins boat telling us all about the special equipment and used in this perfect mission. Of course they all had a strategy for further operations.

For my money, all we ever needed to know.

1. We found Bin Laden

2. We shot Bin Laden

3. Bin Laden is dead

4. He was dumped at sea

5. We have proof

6. We got intel.

END OF STORY. :FlagAm:

He this whole thing became a media circus. The talk shows were all parading out retired military and any body else that they could find that even had mentioned the word of special ops.

We even had people that didn't know the muzzle of a rifle from a Higgins boat telling us all about the special equipment and used in this perfect mission. Of course they all had a strategy for further operations.

For my money, all we ever needed to know.

1. We found Bin Laden

2. We shot Bin Laden

3. Bin Laden is dead

4. He was dumped at sea

5. We have proof

6. We got intel.

END OF STORY. :FlagAm:

...and a marketing circus - Now there is a stupid Obama SEAL doll ~ sheesh :rolleyes:

GG ~ :FlagAm:

That could be the motto for all Special Forces.

Negative. SF soldiers never call themselves operators.

Negative. SF soldiers never call themselves operators.

Not true - it be covert code talk...of course if we knew either way - it wouldn;t be covert ;)

GG ~ :FlagAm:

It seems that people just can't keep their mouths shut, anymore. On our news programs here, and all over, for that matter, you'll hear the newsreader say:

"An anonymous source inside (whatever authority is in charge), speaking on condition of anonymity because they are not authorized to speak about the subject, said: -------------"

The popular media screams and clamors for information on the premise that it is their right to know, regardless of the situation or danger that may befall others, and someone always seems to want to give them what they want. I wonder if someone is getting a little payoff under the table for the info; maybe they could be charged with treason or something if they are found out. :angry: :angry: :angry:

Best I can recall, this "right to know" malarky began after Watergate, when every aspiring newsperson wanted to be an "investigative journalist", and burrow into the dark world of government secrets to expose duplicity and lies. Now, exposing crimes committed against the public by politicians is one thing; blabbing state secrets that are vital to our safety and defense is a whole other thing.

It is not in the public interest to "expose" the details of covert operations performed for a valid purpose; it is pure self-interest and self-promotion for political gain, and we should shun anyone involved.

LL

I dunno. Can't say I've followed the detailed news, but all I know is that it was SEALs, that they planned it well, and that they shot OBL with bullets. Is this "operational detail"?

Since they left a chopper behind, then we're obviously gonna know about the chopper....

But since those who are mad are mad at the same guy they were mad at before......then I guess they're still mad.

If I was in charge the press release would have been:

"Osama bin Laden was located in a compound in Pakistan and killed yesterday in a raid by US Special Operations Forces. His body was positively identified and buried at sea. US personnel suffered no casualties in the operation. One helicopter was lost due to mechanical failure. End of story."

We should take a note from the Brits. They simply do not comment on operations by their special operations people.

"Osama bin Laden was located in a compound in Pakistan and killed yesterday in a raid by US Special Operations Forces. His body was positively identified and buried at sea. US personnel suffered no casualties in the operation. One helicopter was lost due to mechanical failure. End of story."

We should take a note from the Brits. They simply do not comment on operations by their special operations people.

I say ole man, keep a stiff upper lip, for Queen and Country, and all that rot.

By jove, it is past tea time. Put the kettle on Clydebert.

Or maybe just take him in the night, and say absolutely nothing. Let the bad guys worry about who took him, where they took him, and whether he talked...

LL

Or maybe just take him in the night, and say absolutely nothing. Let the bad guys worry about who took him, where they took him, and whether he talked...

LL

No you have to say you done the deed so everybody stops whining about "They can't even catch one guy in 10 years yada yada".

Scratch that off yore list of complaints you knuckle dtragging left wing goober msm reporter jerks.

I dunno. Can't say I've followed the detailed news, but all I know is that it was SEALs, that they planned it well, and that they shot OBL with bullets. Is this "operational detail"?

Since they left a chopper behind, then we're obviously gonna know about the chopper....

But since those who are mad are mad at the same guy they were mad at before......then I guess they're still mad.

Red,

If you HAD followed the detailed news you would know that FAR more was surprisingly released, and STILL seems to be revealed! It has put the individuals involved (and their FAMILIES) at risk, as well as potentially exposing some operational concepts, procedures, and methods that will likely be exploited by our enemies of all stripes, not just the Islamic extremists.

At the first, most basic level, the fact that it was SEALS was not even necessary, let alone WHICH unit, and I won't go beyond that regarding the OPSEC issues of the mission and multi-year intel efforts leading up to it. Even the administration now acknowledges they should have done differently.

Professionals in this arena are appalled, no matter their political persuasion, including recognizing that the human motivation to trumpet success transcends ideology.

We must demand better from our elected officials and their appointees. We need to have clear judgment BASED ON EXPERIENCE, obviously lacking in this case. Hopefully the lessons have been learned (once again), and embraced.

regards,

Harvey

Archived