SASS Wire Forum

H & R Handi rifle loads.

Maddog Mark

I'm looking for a smokeless trail boss 45-70 handi rifle load. I shot some of these loads with xx grains of trailboss and some with xx grains of trailboss. i went out and shot them and couldn't get a group unless it was on the broad side of a barn!. I am running a 405 grain lead bullet sized to .458 and light crimping the bullet into it. Help?

Ok, thank you very much for a reply. I like the other powder ideas. can you give receipies and I would like to load Hodgedons triple 7 blackpowder substitutes for plainsmen loads. both loads would be appreciated. I will l will listen...thanks guys.[

I'm looking for a smokeless trail boss 45-70 handi rifle load. I shot some of these loads with xx grains of trailboss and some with xx grains of trailboss. i went out and shot them and couldn't get a group unless it was on the broad side of a barn!. I am running a 405 grain lead bullet sized to .458 and light crimping the bullet into it. Help?

My experience with 45-70 405gr bullets and trailboss was less than satisfactory accuracy-wise. The available TB loads do not generate enough velocity (IMO) to properly stabilize the bullet and the velocity in any case was way too low to be very accurate beyond 100 yards. I had similar results with 38-55, using lighter bullets I did get a little better accuracy but not what I wanted.

My pick for 45-70 is Accurate 5744. Good bulky powder for reduced loads and when loaded to midrange, produces very good accuracy.

My experience with 45-70 405gr bullets and trailboss was less than satisfactory accuracy-wise. The available TB loads do not generate enough velocity (IMO) to properly stabilize the bullet and the velocity in any case was way too low to be very accurate beyond 100 yards. I had similar results with 38-55, using lighter bullets I did get a little better accuracy but not what I wanted.

My pick for 45-70 is Accurate 5744. Good bulky powder for reduced loads and when loaded to midrange, produces very good accuracy.

Same here. You can also try IMR 3031. In any case, best results for a 405 gr bullet are with loads in the 1200-1300 velocity range.

I use Trail Boss for just about everything EXCEPT .45-70.

The reason is really simple, when I started loading the caliber, the loads using it were not listed in the safe for use in Trapdoor rifles section.

When they finally did show up in the Trapdoor section, I noticed something; the loads had both a lower velocity and a higher pressure than loads using other powders.

That seemed odd to me, so I didn't bother.

Instead I stayed with 3895 and 4064. Both have been able to give me a load that lets me hit a target at 250 yards, shooting offhand. And with a Trapdoor rifle, that's no easy task! After about 2 or 3 shots, the rifle gets very heavy, and much harder to hold on target.

Ok, thank you very much for a reply. I like the other powder ideas. can you give receipies and I would like to load Hodgedons triple 7 blackpowder substitutes for plainsmen loads. both loads would be appreciated. I will l will listen...thanks guys.

You might wanna try an other Powder. ;)

Like, Unique,5744,4350 or others

Ok, thank you very much for a reply. I like the other powder ideas. can you give receipies and I would like to load Hodgedons triple 7 blackpowder substitutes for plainsmen loads. both loads would be appreciated. I will l will listen...thanks guys.[

You might wanna try an other Powder. ;)

Like, Unique,5744,4350 or others

Maddog, here's the link on Hodgdon's website for Triple Seven loading data. NOTE: the charge is using a volumetric measure, not scale weighed ... http://www.hodgdon.com/ml-warning.html

One of the best 600yd groups I've shot using the Buffalo Classic was with Triple Seven. 7.5 x 2.25" (5 shots) with 3 holes that would be covered by a silver dollar. Two witnesses to the group and no camera!

Archived