SASS Wire Forum

Cowboy Ethics

I received an interesting book from the family sometime back as a b-day gift and I finally got around to reading it.

Easy to read and only 80 pages with some really nice western photography by David R. Stoecklein. The author recants his personal journey in discovering the "code of the west" and attempting to write down 10 components of the code of the west. You all would recognize these as the cowboy way. Infact he calls it that at one point.

In there are things like "be tough and be fair" and "finish what you start".

Has anyone else read this book?

Haven't read it, but the book certainly looks interesting. Anything that encourages good behavior ought to be required reading in school, especially if it's free of PC stink.

Yeah, Captain, this book did not have what I would consider to be political correctness. It was pretty much seeking to apply the cowboy way to behavior in the financial industry ... kind of admonishing some of the not-so-ethical behavior that happens when people get greedy.

The funny thing is a that 'cowboy' was a derrogatory term to a grown man in the ole West. No grown man would want to be called 'boy'.

Grown men who rode herd would rather be called wrangler, rider, cowhand, ranger, hand or herder.

I'm sure that the book has great information and reminds us of the values that were so prevelant back then, but we have twisted the very basic idea of who these men (and some women) were by calling them 'boys', even though some of them were very young.

Hi Tom. Don't know where your info came from but by the 1880's the term "cowboy" was pretty well accepted for anyone who worked cattle or even horses. The term seems to have originated in Ireland with the very young folks who tended the family's stock. Here in this country, the term was used very early (1700's) in Florida and generally the east coast where the population centered. From then to the 1850's when drovers became mounted, the term "cowboy" transitioned from a derrogatory term to a matter of pride, especially west of the Mississippi. By the 1880's, cowboy was an accepted and honored term. Take care.

Archived