SASS Wire Forum

The Cicadas are here in the South

Went to Ohio when the 17 year locust were out, ALOT worse than love bugs.........didn't eat the paint off of your vehicle though. Loud ain't the word for them.

I remember the hordes of cicadas back in 1998. They are the same brood of magicicadas (brood 19 if you care) again this year. They are neither as numerous or as noisy here in Middle Tennessee as they were at this point in 1998. How is it down in North Alabama?

J. Mark, they don't seem as noisy here in North Alabama either. But they are noisy enough!

We've got about six weeks of the noise and scraping 'em of of the windshield to look forward to. :angry: Put cheesecloth on your young plants and wear ear plugs when they get intense! :wacko::angry::rolleyes:

Guest Tennessee Stud, SASS# 43634 Life

Just heard on the news that us down here in South Tennessee have more cicadas this year... than back in 1998. Reporter mentioned that most of the cicadas was driven off from the northern part of Tennessee 'cause of some crazy-a$$ madman shootin' at 'em with a pellet gun.

ts

I have my pellet gun out and am practicing my wing shooting after work. When they take to the air hitting them is a bit challenging and I am shooting no better than about 4 hits out of 10. On the trees, they are sitting cicadas LOL

WOW J. Mark! That's good!

Maybe you ought to change your alias to "Buggun Cicada." :P

Your pal,

Birdgun Quail ^_^

Hey Birdgun! Are you telling me they are worse than those bull frogs y'all have down there. After the Georgia State at the River Bend Club I stayed a night with friends at Sandy Hills Georgia just on the north side of Atlanta and while sitting poolside as the sun went down them bull frogs started up. Couldn't hear yourself think!! Are them Cicadas worse than that???

Hey Birdgun! Are you telling me they are worse than those bull frogs y'all have down there. After the Georgia State at the River Bend Club I stayed a night with friends at Sandy Hills Georgia just on the north side of Atlanta and while sitting poolside as the sun went down them bull frogs started up. Couldn't hear yourself think!! Are them Cicadas worse than that???

Colt, they can give the old bulls a run for their money!

Heck, them bull frogs are music to my ears. You can always tell when something not right........they shut up.........all of 'em, at once. :ph34r:

I remember shooting at Rabbit Ridge when the cicadas were at peak performance. It sounded like some type of high pitched machinery, coming from everywhere. I even asked a local what kind of factory was makin' all the noise.

The 13 year brood is peaking here right now, maybe a bit past peak. 13 years ago, the 13 year brood and the 17 year brood all peaked at the same time. You could hear them while driving down the road at 65 and the windows up.

I stepped outside and it sounds like there's an alien spaceship in the woods. They're HERE! It's the cicadas. Noicy bugs!

Cicadas

Google - Cicadas

let me take care of that for you.. for the price of a two way ticket and a let me borrow you shotgun ... lol i will shoot all i can hit.. lol.. Okay?

Don't know how far South they've got, but I don't mind the cicadas, it's the stink bugs that are driving me nuts. Pesticides won't kill them and you don't want to squash 'em. Only good news I've found is that nicotine will kill them, so if you soak tobacco in water, strain it and spray your garden plants, it will keep them from ruining your vegetables....

let me take care of that for you.. for the price of a two way ticket and a let me borrow you shotgun ... lol i will shoot all i can hit.. lol.. Okay?

Okay! But remember, they're noisy rascals!

Now for that two way ticket. Where should that ticket take you to and back to? :unsure:

Rumor has it that SASS Central is planning on a Cicada Baptist category this summer.

Shot with an early model pellet gun.

I think they shelved that idea Badger, because the stink bugs wanted a Jehovia's Witness Wild Bunch Catagory and they got turned down....

Okay! But remember, they're noisy rascals!

Now for that two way ticket. Where should that ticket take you to and back to? :unsure:

I dunno surprise me.. lol

Remember back in '98 taking my mother to the cementery on Memorial Weekend. She was pretty stove up by that time, 88 years, and could only naviagate so far onto the grounds. I had to advance on to the various tombstones to place the flowers for her. The cicadas were so loud they drowned out her verbal instructions to me on how to place the flowers, as if I was incapable of doing it without her help. I remember laughing to myself at the time, when I looked at mom I couldn't hear a word she was saying, only her lips moving. Good memories!

Deacon Phil

Archived