SASS Wire Forum

Guerilla shirt

Tomboy

Howdy,

When reading about the Kansas/Missouri fighting before and during the Civil War, I have several times seen references to the Missouri boys wearing "guerilla shirts". Not much info. could I find on this. Only that the shirt had 2 to 4 pockets and some sort of flower pattern. Not much to go on and I have found no reproductions available.

Can anyone tell me more?

Thanks,

T.

Most I have seen were pretty much just large overshirts. Some had pockets and some had two pockets. Some had some design to them and some were more plain.

A fine well known example is the one Jesse James is wearing in his famous photo.

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm30/wheeler331/Jesse_James.jpg

James Country Mercantile will make you one, a bit pricey though.

It was an over shirt or pullover jacket. Home made by wives and mothers. They were embroidered with varied designs, decorated with ribbons and such. They were worn over a regular shirt which in that day was considered an undershirt. Today we wear them as outer wear.

Just a side note: having a shirt pocket on the same side that you shoulder a long arm is a recipe for disaster.....

Buena suerte,

eGG

Just a side note: having a shirt pocket on the same side that you shoulder a long arm is a recipe for disaster.....

Buena suerte,

eGG

But most border ruffians preferred two blazing pistols. :lol:

Or four. ;)

Buena suerte,

eGG

Hain't ne'er bothered me none. I do it all the time. I won't hardly buy a shirt without 2 pockets. When I first started that's where I carried my sg shells. All my shirts were Horsefly shirts and he always put 2 pockets on a shirt. They are all pretty threadbare now. Gee I shore do miss ole Horsefly.

Shirt makers who only put one pocket on a shirt or (zounds!!!) no pockets on a shirt are short changing their customers. If it warn't fer pockets on shirt I would have to carry a purse.

That's one of my main complaints with the cowboy cooler shirt -- no pockets. Huh? Get real Jimmy.

Archived