how many

every day, normal shooters

look at the whole of SASS first

how many look at "my" SASS club first

cuz we do bla-bla better!

or

how many

look at SASS first then still support and help to grow

all socal SASS clubs to the best of their abilitiles?

any one in vegas this weekend

thursay to sunday

check out the rodeo

there is a SASS booth

I do! We have 4 main clubs in our 2 hour drive area and we all try and promote each other's clubs, at least I do. I also try and promote out of town clubs I've been to and working part time in a gun shop/range I'm able to tell lots of shooters about SASS. I bring in my old CC's and leave 'em on the counter. Rye B)

The average shooter only knows his club or maybe a second club. Doesn't go to big shoots. Has no SASS contact. Only sees SASS as a body that keeps changing rules. Probably doesn't know who his TG is or cares. Some fair percent do not belong to SASS.

I have been to 3 clubs. I shoot at two and that is about all I can for now.Four shoots a month.I have 15 club sites that I look at every day or two to read what they are doing and who did what at there last shoot.I hope that next year I well be able to go to some of the shoot around the big state of Texas.With the money being the way it is for me and most everyone,have not been able to go much.I love the whole game,I love the dressup,the playing cowboy.The people I have meet at shoots are my very best friends. They make me feel good even when they pick on the runt.Pit Bull

The average shooter only knows his club or maybe a second club. Doesn't go to big shoots. Has no SASS contact. Only sees SASS as a body that keeps changing rules. Probably doesn't know who his TG is or cares. Some fair percent do not belong to SASS.

That's not been my experience. Maybe that's simply the luck of the draw, seeing as my "home" club, the place I wandered into after reading a Venturino article on CAS, just happened to be home of the NY state shoot, and a very active club that is home or adopted home to many "travelling" shooters. You can, and I have, gone to a regional and seen 40 or 50 folks who just shot our monthly (250 miles away) a week or two before.....

That kinda gives a body a "SASS" oriented view that is also very "local" club-centric.

I started shooting CAS in 2001.Up until few years ago I was only shooting at my club.Then I decided after meeting quite a few members of other in-state shooters at our annual State Shoot (coming up in July 8-10th);that it'd be fun to start shooting other clubs too.Joined SASS in 09 so I could go to other clubs incase you had to be a SASS member.Since then I've shot at 3 other clubs in state,one more than once and one in Idaho.That was til last year when I and a fellow shooter ventured south to Nv and Ut for 2 shoots.We just got back a week ago from a 5 week shooting spree that took in 4 different club shoots.3 shoots in Nv and 2 in Az.Got a chance to shoot with you Mike at 2 of em.Good to be able to meet other shooters and put a face to the names I see on here.BTW...I did invite everyone come to Montana and shoot with us.

I am afraid I will have to agree in principle. If I had to guess from my experience with four different clubs, about 10-15% of each club members travels to other clubs on a fairly regular bases. Yes, one club has more travelers than that, but another club has fewer. Throw me into the pot that don't go to the 'big' matches, but I will go 400 miles to a particular clubs monthly.

That's alright. To each his own for deciding what fun is for themselves.

Gee MM, I don't know...

On the interweb I try to promote SASS and CAS in general.

As far as my local clubs....well...I'm torn....I used to talk them up a fair amount, but as both clubs I shoot at regularly are near capacity most every match I've toned it down a bit.

wow

how can they expect the brand to last?????

...................but yer right.................

not everyone thinks outside of the triangle :blink:(their local needs)

few vollenteers (in general) make it all happen

yikes

anyways

ya might want to support and help what cha like a tadd

I am only 56 and want SASS to last till I am a cattle barron :lol:

Interesting way to look at things.

I doubt that few if any old west cowboys cared a lick about the "west" or "the cattle business" in general. I imagine what they cared most about was the "brand" they rode for - the individual ranch, as well as their close pards.

It was probably only the cattle barons and ranch owners that recognized it was in their self interests to band together into larger co-ops and other organizations in order to promote their industry.

Perhaps CAS is more representative of the old west than you seem to think it should be. Those who operate the clubs and are part of the larger establishment of CAS and SASS seem to be the ones who care most about the "big picture," and us common cowpokes simply ride for our own "brands" and hope there's another meal coming. Yahooo!

The average shooter only knows his club or maybe a second club. Doesn't go to big shoots.

I also must agree with this, big shoots have zero appeal for me, but I'm not shooting from a competition standpoint. Now, testing true marksmanship would be fun, all stock weapons and our large SASS targets would have a 6 inch red circle for extra points. That there would be fun! ;)

BSD

I joined SASS first, because I enjoy shooting and the venue of CAS. Some clubs have dropped the "C" from CAS, and some no longer have the "A" in CAS, and some are no longer "fun" to shoot at. But I still support SASS and for what it stands for. Being retired, I can now pick and choose those that have CAS, and fun in their menu. MT

I also must agree with this, big shoots have zero appeal for me, but I'm not shooting from a competition standpoint. Now, testing true marksmanship would be fun, all stock weapons and our large SASS targets would have a 6 inch red circle for extra points. That there would be fun! ;)

BSD

You can shoot your all stock guns the marksmanship style way today. Well you would have to imagine the 6" ring and keep your own score of how many bonus hits you got. You get the beep and away you go. At the conclusion of the shooting string, you will get a time. What you do with the time and your count of bonus hits is up to you.

Have fun. There are many official and unofficial ways to have fun with SASS.

Blastmaster

You can shoot your all stock guns the marksmanship style way today. Well you would have to imagine the 6" ring and keep your own score of how many bonus hits you got. You get the beep and away you go. At the conclusion of the shooting string, you will get a time. What you do with the time and your count of bonus hits is up to you.

Have fun. There are many official and unofficial ways to have fun with SASS.

Blastmaster

I agree and didn't mean to imply otherwise. ;)

BSD

While I do agree ya need to "Ride For The Brand".

BUT.

The brand also needs to be there for you.

The Brand that does that the most is my home club. Badlands Bar 3.

Thats the one where a person can really do more "Riding For The Brand".

It so happens they do hold the SASS SW Regional.

They also GO, and PROMOTE, other clubs and shoots. Not only in the area, but the big ones like WR and EOT. They

make sure and mention other clubs annuals coming up at every match. And encourages everyone

to go and make those matches. Even when they fall on the same weekend as they shoot.

So. By riding for my local club. I am, riding for SASS as a whole at the same time.

Because SASS NEEDS those good healthy local clubs to keep it going.

And in return those local clubs SHOULD help support SASS as a whole.

Its a trickly down affect. Or trickly UP affect in this case.

Also believe that ALL that shoot Cowboy Action. SHOULD be encouraged to join SASS.

As they give local clubs the direction they need.

If you are going to help drink the milk. You should help pay for the cow.

And that means JOINING SASS.

SASS has grown more and more in my heart these last couple years - sure it's the shooting part, but it has been the people as a whole I've met. They are a great represenative of the SASS 'brand' and they (as the 'brand') have been there for me too with support and encouragement. That is something I want to share with other folks too - we all have to do our part. Even away from the 'firing line' so to speak.

The Wire is a little different. I enjoy it, have fun....but.....well, "The Wire ain't SASS, and SASS ain't the Wire" is something I heard sometime ago and completely agree with. The real deal is being out there and actually meeting folks and having tangible fun. If one hasn't done that they are seriously missing out on what SASS really is! ;)

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Mike,

I hate to see a good question start with a false premise.

To "ride for the brand" meant if you take a man's money, you owe him loyalty.

SASS never gave me money.

My club never gave me money.

Quite the opposite.

Good questions though. A better subject might be "Where best to invest".

Very Best Regards,

BJT

I agree with BJT to some degree.

Cowboy action shooting has been very important to me over the last 10+ years. I enjoy shooting matches. I like the comraderie. I earn money working on cowboy guns. Things have improved tremendously since that guy Chinkler or whatever his name was, left.

I'm not sure what the problem is you're trying to solve.

Now, testing true marksmanship would be fun, all stock weapons and our large SASS targets would have a 6 inch red circle for extra points. That there would be fun! ;)

BSD

I'm afraid the result would not be as entertaining as you would hope it would be. I am thankful for SASS and respect the Wild Bunch a great deal. But the sport functions and exsists because of the hard working folks that put on matches and give so much of their own time and money to make this game what it is. We pay the bills, I personally don't feel that I have to say thank you to any one person or persons for that. I ride for the folks that show up month after month and keep the clubs and shoots alive. In the words of Madd Mike YMMV.

I'm not sure what the problem is you're trying to solve.

I am not really trying to solve anything

jest see-in how folks can think differently

maybe get sum shooters

ta promote the large picture as well as the local venue

we got us a lot of 70+ year old shooters

I am promoting the idea,>>>>> that has SASS .. live and well .. when I reach that age

promoting SASS (tha major Brand) even thought they dont pay a cowboy, like in the real OLD west

is the best way I see

of

gitten-errrrr-done

Mike;

SASS means a lot to most folks that "Play the Game".. It means very little to some who just want to shoot, and don't "Play the Game". There is no doubt that the majority of SASS members maintain thier activities to the local area.... while others are "Circuit Riders". For 20 yrs I have traveled near and far to shoot matches... both Big & Small. I see many of the same folks at the matches I shoot. When I start moving out past the 500 mi range, I start seeing new faces. As for volunteering to help out, that usually falls to a few folks (you know that). Those who volunteer on a large scale basis at the Local, Regional, National and International level help to provide and stabilize the Platform of SASS... however, it is the rank and file that keeps SASS alive. For 20 yrs SASS has dominated my everyday life. I know others who have also taken hold of the rope and helped to pull things along. Most members appreciate the work, time and effort done by others. These folks far outnumber the few "Sour Grapes" that spend their time picking holes in the program. Riding for the Brand can take in many aspects and forms. As long as SASS continues to strive to fullfill the Fantasies of the membership, it will survive. And never loose sight of the fact that it is the Rank and File of the membership that makes SASS work.

Yeeee-haw

Snakebite

A lot of the shooters in my area support and attend more than one club. Many of us shoot at 2, 3 or 4 clubs each month. And we generally "support' clubs we don't get to shoot at very often.

I do miss some of the pards that we used to shoot with but life moves on, jobs change, kids grow etc.

And we meet new friends.

I like the competition AND really enjoy the social interaction.

So if you look at the scores of central and northern Georgia and Alabama and even some of Florida, you will see a lot of familiar names.

Answering a question with a question. Is riding for the brand an unquestioning supporting of everything SASS stands for down to the last rule change and decision? If so I am afraid that most do not ride for the brand. On the other hand if the larger picture is supporting an exciting, fun, family oriented activity then yes a lot do support the brand.

Personally I will drive 300 or so miles to go to a 1 day monthly match to be with old friends, make new ones and get in some shooting. (the early get up time is a bear but so be it :) ) I don't go to specifically "support" anything, rather the comraderie, challenge of a different range and new experiences are worth the drive IMHO. While there I will do what I can to help out with the chores, talk up other matches and try to present a postive picture of a CAS competitor in general. I suppose that is support for the brand but I see it as incidental to being polite, well mannered and good natured at someone elses house.

As MM would say -- mileage thing

Regards

:FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

"Ride for the Brand", some good thoughts here. But to me "Riding for the Brand", just like I did for 26 years, working for Amoco, though assigned to several plant sites, and overseas, also having a base plant I spent most my time, I considered myself "Riding" for the company. Sometimes receiving assignments over the phone from someone I never seen. I didn't agree with everthing, but I rode for them.

Same as cowboys did for years, they rode for a brand, maybe never seeing the owner(s), some being back East, or even overseas. The lowly cowhand received his orders from maybe the foreman. If it wasn't for the "Brand", we probable would be dis-organized, each club with different venues, non-conforming to a set of rules to play equally. Without SASS, we would probable not have a place to check out locations of similar clubs, matches and schedules. To me, SASS is the "Brand". Its whats allowed CAS to grow, expand and get them firearms that weren't even thought about 20 years ago, but were wished for.

It maybe that many don't agree with SASS rules, nor the wire, but it allows us to participate, and communicate, all under one "Brand". MT

Up here in Western Canada we have had CAS shooting for a long time before we had our First SASS reconnised match .....

I like many kept an eye on SASS as a group and really liked the slogan the "Closes thing to the old West short of a Time machine",,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, But ....

There was really no good reason to join SASS as there were no clubs that hosted Official SASS shoots here in the West ,,, And we allready had our own groups "Western Canadian Frontieer Shootists" and "Alberta Frontieer Shootist" !!!

But all that changed when rummers of a SASS "Regional shoot" started to get out ,,,,, So I did the only thing a Cowboy could do ,,,, Joined SASS ...

I have since shot every SASS "Canadian Regional" we have had, and have promoted these events to all would will listen (or can't out-run me) to get away from my plugs for SASS and CAS in general ...

Up until this year I have spend more time shooting CAS matches in B.C. (think other State) than in my own province...

My "Ole" home club shoots CAS matches that are not much like SASS shoots in the USA... They involve smaller targets ,longer shots (up to 50 yards for rifle & up to 25 yards for pistol), Complete Reloads,trowing ropes, hawks, shooting arrows, loading wagons, jail breaks ,,,etc all done on the clock ...

But getting back to the SASS brand ,,,,,,,,,,,,,, It does seem that SASS as a whole is moving further away from the theme of the OLD WEST !!!! And more toward "Stand an Deliver" type shoots and minium Cowboy Way thinking that sold most Northern Cowfolk on SASS in the begining ....

So for the most part I view the SASS brand ,,,, as leaving the Cowboys ....

Jabez Cowboy

My idea of "ride for the brand"

is NOT

(old west) Blindly following a ranch owner if ???

2. he request that ranch hands, cross brand anything in site
  3. holds natural stream water from folks down in lower elevations (even if its more then he needs)

stuff like that

My idea of "ride for the brand"

in the case of SASS

is

do more than just pay your money to shoot

and leave all the recruiting, putting on shoots, and volenteer jobs to others

do more to support the whole of SASS

not just your local area stuff

just wanted to see what different folks think?

thats all, no more-- no less

thanks for the comments ;)

Yep !!! No les No more ,,,,,,, 3 shots with a .44 ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Waste of ammo one with a .45 would have made Les no Moore ...

Jabez Cowboy

Guest Tennessee Stud, SASS# 43634 Life

how many

every day, normal shooters...

Dam... that leaves me out of the discussion...

ts

You know - looking at Steve McQueens' quote:

"I live for myself and I answer to nobody."

makes me think that each one of us IS the brand, and all it encompasses....

LET'S RIDE!!:D

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Dam... that leaves me out of the discussion...

ts

fer some strange reason

I want to posse with you sume day

are you going to EOT......this year

the 30th aniversery

the fellers ranch that started the whole SASS / cAS brand?????

Guest Tennessee Stud, SASS# 43634 Life

fer some strange reason

I want to posse with you sume day

are you going to EOT......this year

the 30th aniversery

the fellers ranch that started the whole SASS / cAS brand?????

Really like to... but until you mentioned it... ain't give it much thought. Let me check out the whole dates/time/place/travel thingie... and letcha know. Always been lookin' forward to meetin' ya one day...

If I go... may not shoot... but sure would like to obtain/rent a horse somewheres.... heard there was a buncha acres of that place. Normally try to ride a little whereever I go.... as long as it's a spirited animal and not some string-zombie... “There's nothing better than riding a fine horse and seeing new country” ~ Capt. Gus McCrae. Would not mind vistin' with the mounted shooters too.

Let me check it out... thanks...

ts

Archived