SASS Wire Forum

My town was so small

The dogs had to wag their tails up and down. Not enough room for a side to side wag.

In order to paint traffic lines, the road had to be widened

Instead of hoses, the Fire Department uses water pistols

You had to make a reservation to use the parking meter

During snowstorms, salt was spread using a salad shooter

The class valedictorian had both the highest & lowest averages

--that no one locked their doors

--that everyone knew everyone else, which we weren't always happy about. :angry:

--that you could walk end to end in ten minutes

--that it had the cleanest air you ever did smell

--that the only thing we knew about the outside world was Lucile Ball, Johnny Carson, and Walter Cronkite, and the curious thing about that was that you never remembered what he was talking about, just that he was on. :excl:

--and our phone number? I don't remember, but it was a party line. Two rings and it was us.

--but still, that curious critter, Santa Claus found his way into our home every year, even without the aid of a fireplace. :)

That was a magic farm, that was. Where Grandpa could land his plane in the wheat field, where we polished the kitchen floor with our socks, and, poor as the dickens, enjoyed more family love than I've ever remembered since.

Ah!

Aunt Jen

My town was so small, the preacher sang louder than the choir.

the school's out parade was just me, walking out.

the town picnic only had one dish, and that was deviled eggs, and that was because I made it.

we had no sheriff.

but we didn't break the law.

Aunt Jen

that when Dad turned on his electric razor the trolly stopped.

You had a trolly?!?!?!!??!?!!?! :blink: Dadgum!! y'all was uptown!

True story, we once started a tractor tire rollin' at the east end of town and it rolled a quarter mile out the west end of town.

And we rolled it for about 30 feet before we let go!

B)

Our Town had the last one room school in Conn. Grades 1 to 8 one room one teacher first day of class in first grade I learned to fold a sheet of paper into a cup as we were not supposed to drink from the dipper that was chained to the rock up stream form the privy by the brook that ran behind the school house. My first grade teacher was actually my older sister who was in the 5th grade she was the de-facto teacher of grades 1 and 2

When I was young before reapportionment in state elections one vote from our town was worth the same as 47,000 Hartford votes Because so much land was lost during the depression Most of the town was actually either State forrest or the Yale research Forest. Our farm was only 175 acres (one 7 ac pond one 5 ac and a nice trout stream and a fine waterfall where the sawmill foundations were) but we were surrounded by unused state forest so it was like we had a few thousand acres. nearest neighbor was about a mile away

And it was a wonderful place to grow up. no crime etc. ( when did get a "resident State Trouper" when they built the Interstate through in the late 50s but before that the town sherif was also head (and all) of the DPW and drove the only town truck and school bus. the only biz in town was the charcoal kilns and the volunteer Fire Dept. (with one ex army pre WW2 fire engine) was known as the town chimney savers.

Our town is STILL so small that rush hour is at 3 P.M. when school lets out and lasts 5 minutes. The hitching posts in town are not for decoration

Actually true - our phone number was 8!

=========================================

Our phone number in the 1950's was 77M, and we had party lines. If someone was using the line and you wanted to talk to a neighbor, you just stepped out on the front porch or stuck yer head out a window and yelled down the street for 'em. When I tell that one to my wife when she emails or texts a satellite-bounced message to the neighbor across the street, she just rolls her eyes.

Dang 40 Rod !! You had electricity!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

Yeah. We'd scuff around on the rug and then touch the wires.

We once had the only phone in our neighborhood and when someone called one of our six neighbors we'd run over to get them. The school district owned the houses and rented them to teachers and staff (Dad taught and Mom was secretary to the Superintendent and the high school Principal), so they paid the phone bill.

The next year we moved into a big old house in the middle of an apple orchard.

Our town was so small, you could mis-behave three blocks away and get your butt tanned by every other kid's Mom on your way home.

And still get a whuppin when Dad got home that evening!! :rolleyes:<_<

When we picked up the phone and the operator asked what number we wanted, and we gave it to her, she told us that party wasn't at home right now.

When I was a kid, and sick, the doctor made a housecall.

Archived