SASS Wire Forum

OK y'all.......

EE Taft

As many of my Pards here know, I have been "old school" trained in the line of work that I do in utility equipment. For 15 years I have worked for the same place. We (Wife, three kids and myself) have been wanting to relocate to another area for some time and I have recently came to this conclusion.....

Rather that hunting for a job in a new area and working my way up that ladder again I'm thinking of something more......

:mellow: (sigh)

I'm 31 years old and I'm thinking of going back to school......... :o

I'm really considering the field of Architectural Engineering but I haven't ruled out sales and marketing (which I'd consider myself a little more familiar with).

What are some of your thoughts on this?

I value everyone of your opinions as a friend would and I know without a doubt that many of you have been where I am right now.

What would you do?

Just askin'. :D

~EE Taft~

PS, please know that I'm giving this very serious thought. I'm keeping the family in mind and plan on working hard to get where I want to go. I'm asking the opinions of everone in my life and I thought I might include all of you as well. Thank you all!!

At the age of 29 , more years ago than I care to admit, I asked my boss fo a promotion. His response was that without a college degree he couldn't give me the job I wanted, which was a promotion from hotel GM to VP Finance of the chain. I quit and enrolled in college. It was tough financially for several years, but it was the best professional decision I ever made and changed my life. I've never regretted it.

Just my $0.02!

As many of my Pards here know, I have been "old school" trained in the line of work that I do in utility equipment. For 15 years I have worked for the same place. We (Wife, three kids and myself) have been wanting to relocate to another area for some time and I have recently came to this conclusion.....

Rather that hunting for a job in a new area and working my way up that ladder again I'm thinking of something more......

I'm really considering the field of Architectural Engineering but I haven't ruled out sales and marketing (which I'd consider myself a little more familiar with).

I value everyone of your opinions as a friend would and I know without a doubt that many of you have been where I am right now.

What would you do?

~EE Taft~

PS, please know that I'm giving this very serious thought. I'm keeping the family in mind and plan on working hard to get where I want to go. I'm asking the opinions of everone in my life and I thought I might include all of you as well. Thank you all!!

EE,

You are asking a lot here. Where do ya want to move to? What are the ages of your children? (this may be important if you are getting into sales and would have to spend time away from them.)

Going back to school can be good for a career change, if everyone (your family) is ok with that. A lot of the hi tech industries are booming along with skilled trades. I have been in sales forever and enjoy it very much,but it's not for everyone.

What you need to ask yourself is where you would be in 5,10,15yrs from now if you did nothing and stayed where you are. Times are changing, opportunities are out there and you can make a change for the better but will it get you where you want to be in 5,10 or 15yrs.

In your current job do you have security and benefits? keeping the family secure should be number one on your mind. But if all things fall in place and no doors close on you, follow your dreams and full speed ahead.

Although I worked in a very specialized field, after 7 years I realized I had gotten as far as I could without a college degree. Went to night school for 3 years and got my degree. Without it I would have been stuck in the lower levels for my entire career.

Basically I saying that even though it will be rough, getting a degree will turn out to be the best thing you could do for yourself and your family. Good luck.

What would you do?

~EE Taft~

College - or other education is an investment in yourself . . you can't go wrong, even if you don't get rich.

Folks I know who have degrees in Architecture and such will tell you - a Masters is the minimum ticket.

Check locally - it may be different - but it used to be a minimum to get a real paying job and position . . .

Most engineering fields pay well, mechanical and structures, power generation and distribution, Computer Science (B.S. not B.A.)

Geological and Mining/Oil , etc. There will never be enough competent people in any of those fields . ..

Engineering schools are turning out less than 60,000 new engineers right now for the next ten years or so . . . for a country

with 330 million people and in dire need of energy, technological advances, infrastructure rebuilding, expansion.

Please go get an engineering degree - we need many more than we can hope to find!

Shadow Catcher

(Who are one in the Aerospace biz)

SC

Ok. Ifin' you can't afford a collage edjuamacation, I wood recomd truckin'. They are in great demend.

Den down side is yur away from da homestead alot. And I know you love dem babies !!

And der's always constrution...like earth movin. Heavy Equipment Operators. Pays good money.

Draw back here is ya can't work when it's wet.

Just my two centovs !

BB speaks wise.

Many years ago I dropped out of college when offered a promotion at work (banking, believe it or not!).

Over the years I progressed, and ended a very successful career in a VP level position with a Fortune 10 corporation.

I eventually left the field and relocated to a region I felt would provide a better environment for raising kids. And discovered that "the pendulum has swung..." Experience is far less marketable nowadays than a diploma. I regularly see university graduated youngsters almost 40 years my junior hired for positions I am "not qualified for." Then, I help train 'em, and off they go to even better paying jobs...! :lol:

Go for the education! ;)

(Not complaining, mind you... I do NOT miss the earlier days one bit!) :rolleyes:

Paladin,

That's great advice but for the past 15 years I've been in sales and enjoyed it. I've also (as you said) spend a lot of time out on the road. The Wife and kids are use to me being gone a lot.....so, not a big change there.

In the line of work I'm in I have in a sense topped out. I'd like to try a new field or at least get a degree in the sales field and move on to a better job with room for advancement. The job I have now is with a small business and is great, but it leaves a lot to be desired in the way of benefits and coverage for the family. That just a small part of the bigger picture as to why I'm considering this change.

This is the kind of opinion and advice I knew I could get here. Thorough and very understanding. ;)

~EE Taft~

Thank you all for the advice so far. It's more help that you all know.

I beleive I will get to work on researching both fields.

Thanks all.

~EE Taft~

Do what I did! Work 30 years at one place wondering if I should take a chance and go to college or into a different field of work. Then spend the rest of your life wishing you'd had .

Go for it! You can change your future but never your past!

Best of luck to you!

Well, you're at a good age to make a career change if that's what you feel would be best. Whether that means going back to school or finding a new position/job with a new company, my strongest advise would be to stay with the company you are with until you have solid offers and/or attend school around your current job. It's a shaky ecomomy right now and job market is shaky as well. Work towards your goals but make sure you can keep food on the table until the next opportunity is a solid one. Just my two cents. That and follow your dreams and ambitions wherever they take you. Best of luck (and skill)!

Bucky

Well Pard, sounds like you want a good environment for your wife and kids. Plus work opportunity while you go to school. Take a look at the Plano/McKinney/Frisco/Denton, TX area which is still growing by leaps and bounds. SMU, TCU, and UNT all offer academic training in class and online in the field of your choice. Besides, its pretty dang close to me.

Well, you're at a good age to make a career change if that's what you feel would be best. Whether that means going back to school or finding a new position/job with a new company, my strongest advise would be to stay with the company you are with until you have solid offers and/or attend school around your current job. It's a shaky ecomomy right now and job market is shaky as well. Work towards your goals but make sure you can keep food on the table until the next opportunity is a solid one. Just my two cents. That and follow your dreams and ambitions wherever they take you. Best of luck (and skill)!

Bucky

Bucky,

You exactly right! I will be holding my job until a solid offer comes into play. If not I'd have been gone long ago. :lol: Thank you for posting your advice. It is sound!

~EE Taft~

Well Pard, sounds like you want a good environment for your wife and kids. Plus work opportunity while you go to school. Take a look at the Plano/McKinney/Frisco/Denton, TX area which is still growing by leaps and bounds. SMU, TCU, and UNT all offer academic training in class and online in the field of your choice. Besides, its pretty dang close to me.

I'm seriously considering Oklahoma, Pard. For one reason, because of your hospitality and also the oppertunity in the area looks promising. Mama Taft was talked into Colorado but she saw they are having a blizzard in Denver tonight and I think she changed her mind. :lol:

We might come snoopin' around down there before too long.

~EE Taft~

I don't have any experience in sales so I can't comment on that. I'll second what ShadowCatcher said....engineers are in demand and there is a shortage. Only thing about engineering is that you do need some skills in the math and science areas or have the ability to get them. It's not the easiest of degree plans but its worth the work (it's what I did).

I don't have any experience in sales so I can't comment on that. I'll second what ShadowCatcher said....engineers are in demand and there is a shortage. Only thing about engineering is that you do need some skills in the math and science areas or have the ability to get them. It's not the easiest of degree plans but its worth the work (it's what I did).

Good point, KK!

Having a set of math and science skills for the field is a given. I can see some that might not stick with it due to lack of interest in those skills. I for one find that math comes easy to me and I've always been interested in science enough to gain rather than lose interest.

In general, this is a point that can apply to life in general. If you can't hold an interest in the basic skills of your job course you won't be happy in the field.

Very good point.

Thanks,

~EE Taft~

I'm 57 years old, been a tool and die maker forever. Had two years mechanical engineering, but no degree. Now I find myself at the top of the food chain at work for my level of education, no chance for advancement, no big raises, and people coming in the door making 25% more starting out than I do. I have a good job, earn a good living, but I truly regret not getting a degree. As others have said, times have changed, experience doesn't count for much when it's time for advancement unless you have the paper, too. So I'm looking at being right where I am until retirement.

If you're sure you want to make the commitment, go get the degree. It will pay for itself many times over....

I'm not sure what I can add that hasn't already been said, other than to offer encouragement. When you are exploring, see if you can find the opportunity to actually see what someone in the fields you are interested in do on a daily basis. This is easier for someone younger, because they can do job shadowing, but if the chance presents itself to talk with someone, take the opportunity.

You indicate you plan on continuing to work while going to school. Even though it cuts into your time, and can make your commitment to a degree last a little longer, it should mean less dependence on loans which can take quite sometime to pay off.

Good luck, and while I can't think of anything I can do to help, if you can, don't hesitate to give me a shout.

Can't add to anything folks have said...except, pray alot about it, listen to God and the direction he pulls you in. He gave you two good hands to work, and with his guidance you can't go wrong. Don't mean to get 'spiritual' on this, but...well...for me it plays an important part of my decision making.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Hello

I'm an Architect and can tell you that you need to research any college degree, job opportunities and starting salaries before making a decision like this.

The path to becoming a licensed Architect is a 5 year degree, 3 years of documented internship and then a 3 day test to become licensed. Licensing means more money and opportunity. Starting salaries for interns in California is around $40K. There are three basic areas for a career path, Design, management, and technical. There are opportunities for interns to work while going to college. Again the pay is een less.

Your location for school will be driven by where you can get into collge and if you are accpeted. Architecture Shools are usually hard to get into and usually full.

Not trying to discourage you just saying you need to research the optiopns, cost, salaries and time.

Ike

You have gotten a lot of good advice here. Speaking from the "view from the top", if you are going to look at a new position, see if you can find a place that will pay for your education. Our business will pay for our employees job related education. Granted they are doing it at night but we have some who have even gotten their masters. It took them a while but they got there and are glad they did. I'm glad they did as it makes them a more valuable part of the team. More an more companies that want to attract and keep good talent are paying for educations. It keeps their talent pool fresh, informed and ready to take on new challenges. I don't know what the size the company you currently working for but you may even ask them if they would pay for your classes. If they have half a brain it would show them initiative and an interest to improve not only yourself but the business as well. If they don't want to pony up, then they will loose a valuable employee and all the training and knowledge you have goes with you.

Engineers coming fresh out of college are making mid 50s to start and on up. Get a degree in Business Administration and become a sales manager. Every business owner I have talked to will say that not all great salesmen make good sales managers. Not all sales managers are good salesmen either. A really good sales manager can make some really good money. Follow your heart. Don't have regrets. As long as your wife supports you, that is all you need. I have repeatedly told our managers that a company can only grow as fast as its people grow. Growing consistenly and making money. You can either grow them or hire them and hiring is an iffy proposition as you are never sure what you will get. It is like a box of chocolates Forrest.

Training is good in that it brings new ideas to the table and makes people stretch their comfort zones. Challenge everyone to learn something new everyday. It is good for your grey matter.

Research the fields and MAKE DAMNED SURE THERE WILL BE A JOB THERE WHEN YOU GRADUATE!

My 45 year old son has been to school for three different professions and found out that the markets dried up before he finished. Technology did away with one and the economy killed the other two.

If you decide to go for more education, don't wait. Do it as soon as you can arrange it. Get everyone around you on board and keyed into it so you'll have the time, energy, and freedom to do your best.

My wife went back to school and graduated in three years, just before her 59th birthday. For three years I did the shopping, cooking, most of the laundry, housework, and everything else I could. She worked a 50 hour week and went to school or studied the rest of the time. I ran interference for her to keep the phone, well meaning friends, etc from interrupting her ("I just want to talk to her for a few minutes. She needs a break anyway."). I watched TV when she was at school, but it was off as soon as she got home, unless she wanted to watch something.

Lots of work, tears, exhausted "I can't do this" episodes, and second thoughts, but she stuck it out.

She graduated with a 3.88 GPA (Statistics class kicked her butt) and was the oldest person in most of her classes by 20years or more.

Goos luck.

I'm seriously considering Oklahoma, Pard. For one reason, because of your hospitality and also the oppertunity in the area looks promising. Mama Taft was talked into Colorado but she saw they are having a blizzard in Denver tonight and I think she changed her mind. :lol:

We might come snoopin' around down there before too long.

~EE Taft~

Great! The Ardmore and Tulsa areas are growing pretty fast too. You mentioned an interest in science. Maybe take a took at horticulture and landscaping. Course, Oklahoma State University is the place! Lots of schools here have reciprocal agreements with neighboring states.

Thank you all for the great advice. I am expanding my search into other areas of interest as well. Trust me, I will do a lot of research before making a plan.

I thank you all kindly for the opinions and advice. It means a lot to me!!

I'll keep y'all posted.

~EE Taft~

Hi Taft.

I've been there in spades. I'm one of these people who has been to several colleges, for many years: 11.

If you're interested in higher education: GREAT. However, the process will likely not be linear, i.e., not from A to Z in a straight line.

If you enter a good school, then the education process should be one of enlightenment after enlightenment, as your professors stimulate your thinking.

I generally counsel people entering schools: Take a variety of courses the first two years. Experience many things. Let your mind flow. And then think of a major after that. Follow your interests, then, after two years or so, and see where they lead. You may wind up with quite a different major than you suspect, at this time, because of things you experience in the interim. May? More like Likely.

Go. Enjoy. Absorb. Then decide later, based on what you know then. Generally, majors change often, anyway, and aren't usually settled into until the sophomore year or so, or later.

I really respect the idea. It takes work and vision, but it's laudable.

Aunt Jen

What would you do?

~EE Taft~

I went back to school when I was 32 years old. Glad I did. One of my sons just recently graduated with a bachelor's degree at age 36. Here's what I told him (and others) when they wondered whether or not they should go back to school. "Okay, you're 31 years old now. Let's say it takes you five years to complete your degree. You'll be 36 years old. In five years, you're going to be 36 years old anyway, so you just ask yourself the question, 'Do I want to be 36 with a degree or without a degree?'" I don't know about you, but if I hadn't gone back for more education, in four or five years, I knew I'd be asking myself, "What if...."

Archived