SASS Wire Forum

No disrespect intended

stepnmud#33546

Have a cowboy hat 'Valdez is Coming" type that I added a beaded hat band and 3/4" X 1 3/8" brass pin back 'Crossed Arrows' to wear to CAS matches and goes with my usual dress for the part of an Indian scout. Recently at a Match I had a shooter approach me and ask if I was in Special Forces? I replied no but had studied the history of the Crossed Arrows insigna and thought it would be a nice touch. He also asked if I was just honoring the S.F. and I just politely talked about some of the history of S.F. My wearing the crossed arrows is not intended to pose a S.F., but now wondering if others think I might be and don't want to mislead folks into thinking I might be.

here's a bit of history behind the crossed arrows insigna.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Army_Indian_Scouts

Pard - this is a fantasy game and if your 'character' wants to use the crossed arrows it would be completely fine. It's good you know the history too - it adds to the allure.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Wear 'em.

Doesn't make you a "poser" or show any disrespect to anyone. Its accepted Indian Scout insignia for our time period.

Wear 'em.

Doesn't make you a "poser" or show any disrespect to anyone. Its accepted Indian Scout insignia for our time period.

I agree. Since "Frontier Scouts included; white, native and mixed blood individuals" I would say you are on very safe ground. If it were me, I would start there when asked, and then state tht you certainly recognize and respect the fact that Special Forces uses the same insignia.

The Crossed Arrows insignia pre-dates the use by Special Forces. It was authorized for use when SF became a separate branch in 87. An SF members should know that.

If somebody questions you on it, politely inform him of the particulars. We tend to be a little sensitive about it, what with the plethora of wannabes these days.

Special Forces Branch Insignia

As you can see here, the Scout insignia was somewhat different, larger in size than current SF arrows and white metal. I believe there is a Scout insignia reproduction being made by somebody.

Found one Here. :D

De Oppresso LIber

"SASS is a fantasy game!"

I was asked if I ever got in trouble for flying THE Confederate flag on my gun cart !?

"SASS is a fantasy game!"

I have those same crossed arrows with USS on them on one of my hats (along with a red and white hat cord). A heck of a lot bigger than the current SF branch insignia and would be kind of surprised if someone confused the two.

My next door neighbor is the current S3 (operations officer) for the SF unit at FT Lewis and he has never even made mention of it.

As has been said, this is a historic fantasy game. I sure as heck aint gonna run around questioning everyone with crossed sabers or cannons on and definitely take no disrespect in their wearing.

Archived