SASS Wire Forum

New BB Gun Bill...

"I'll have mine in flourescent chartreuse, pleeze...!" ^_^

BB Gun Bill

Is this a BB gun...?

I expect this brand of idiocy from a politician. It never occured to Police Chief that criminals might start painting their guns? He doesn't know that larger caliber colored guns are already on the market?

This one is sponsored by the same "gentleman" who's pushing a bill to outlaw flat sheets in hotels - ONLY fitted sheets would be allowed, as flat sheets may cause injury to hotel service staff (or a broken nail!).

No kiddin'...!

Sheets!

No wonder we can't fix our budget... :wacko:

I looked at his website. What a LOON!

Whiskey... all I can say to that is... you are TOO kind~! :rolleyes:

This one is sponsored by the same "gentleman" who's pushing a bill to outlaw flat sheets in hotels - ONLY fitted sheets would be allowed, as flat sheets may cause injury to hotel service staff (or a broken nail!).

DeLeon is also the primary sponsor on most of the anti-gun legislation in CA!

(Is there anyone in his district that can run against that idiot?)

We used a pink BB gun on a stage in Lake Charles.

I have mixed feelings on this one. It sounds silly until you are the officer facing down a kid at gun point with what looks like a 1911 stuck in his belt.

If he would have made a stupid decision I would have shot him and had to live with that.

Those air soft guns and BB guns just look too damn real even in daylight.

We use blue or red “guns” for training already so there are no accidents so why not colored air guns. Yes there are cons to that but do they out weigh the pros.

As an aside I was never allowed to own a BB gun even after I had a .22 and a 12 gauge. My father knew that I would never do anything stupid with the real guns he wasn’t to sure about the BB gun and he was probably right

Lame - that's all I can say. Like the OP showed - one can take a real gun, make it all bright and happy with colors and then when the officer approaches - thinking it is a 'toy' or 'BB' gun - would lower his pistol only to get shot by the perp with the colored gun......

Yup - Lame!

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Great idea shift responsibility for a bad shoot away from the cops to the makers and or owners of bb guns.

Why not push for better cop training or recognize a mistake/error in judgement.

How many cans of bright colored paint will now be sold to bad guys?

And of course in some states the purchase of spray paints is already controlled.

And how does the owner of a gun like bb-gun paint their bb-guns without running a foul of paint control?

Great idea shift responsibility for a bad shoot away from the cops to the makers and or owners of bb guns.

How many cans of bright colored paint will now be sold to bad guys?

And of course in some states the purchase of spray paints is already controlled.

And how does the owner of a gun like bb-gun paint their bb-guns without running a foul of paint control?

Nothing to do with a bad shoot. Anyone pointing a gun at a cop is liable to get shot, no matter the color of the piece. In low light you wouldn't be able to recognize if it was colored or not anyway.

As you point out, painting your Glock a nice baby blue might give a bad guy a split second's edge if the offficer hesitates because of this law.

What were these boys doing out roaming and unsupervised at 8:00 pm (very dark in December) with BB guns? If you have to assign responsibility, it belongs to the parents/guardians.

The pols would much rather pass stupid laws than push people to take care of teaching their kids good sense.

What were these boys doing out roaming and unsupervised at 8:00 pm (very dark in December) with BB guns? If you have to assign responsibility, it belongs to the parents/guardians.

+1

The age of the suspect pointing a gun at me makes absolutely no difference at all. If you think a 14 year old gang member won't shoot you when you catch him holding drugs or breaking into cars, your living in a sheltered world. In low light, every thing is shades of gray. I can't tell the difference between an airsoft gun or some of these look alike BB guns from 25 feet in the dark. Painting BB guns is not going to change anything.

If I'm confronting a suspect and he pulls a gun, I don't have time to see if it's a BB gun or a 9mm. If I plan on going home at the end of the day, I have to assume its real.

Now which color were they going to use for BB guns?

http://www.jimsgunsupply.com/DuraCoat/duracoatpictures.html#Multi-Tone%20and%20Single%20Color%20Hand%20Guns

I expect this brand of idiocy from a politician. It never occured to Police Chief that criminals might start painting their guns? He doesn't know that larger caliber colored guns are already on the market?

For years now CA has required airsoft and some paint ball guns to have orange tips. For about as long thugs have been painting the tips of firearms orange. And Kids with airsoft guns have been using black markers or paint to get rid of the orange.

The picture of that pink rifle looks to be a CA compliant AR variant.

Nothing to do with a bad shoot. Anyone pointing a gun at a cop is liable to get shot, no matter the color of the piece. In low light you wouldn't be able to recognize if it was colored or not anyway.

As you point out, painting your Glock a nice baby blue might give a bad guy a split second's edge if the offficer hesitates because of this law.

UB, Article did NOT indicate that the teenagers "gun" was pointed at a cop.

So UB, a cop shooting a kid is a good shoot?

That makes it a bad shoot in my book!

Hacker, UB's comment wasn't out of line... Do a bit of on-line research on Glassell Park - the site of the incident - and you'll find that it has a history of both gang activity and shootings.

That said, consider:

"According to LAPD officials, the incident occurred on the night of Dec. 16 when Northeast Division officers on patrol near Verdugo and Avenue 31 came upon three youths in possession of replica handguns.

"Police said that the three teens ran from the scene when officers arrived.

"Shots were fired at one of the 13-year-old boys, who was hiding behind a nearby car, after he produced a replica weapon, officers said."

I'd say UB's call is correct. -_-

Yeah right,. That's what I meant. I always advocate shooting kids. Why would you even ask that of me? :angry:

As far as the incident in the article, I have no information on it. I don't know whether or not the gun was pointed at the officer or what the specifics of the incident were. That's hat a shooting review board and internal Affairs investigates to determine if a shooting was justified.

My point was that coloring a gun is pointless. You have no way of knowing it's a real gun with a paint job or a toy.

The pols would much rather pass stupid laws than push people to take care of teaching their kids good sense.

Yup - cause they feel it's the guns fault :rolleyes:

Dumbarse legislators..

GG ~ :FlagAm:

And I can tell that it’s not likely that you have ever answered an armed robbery call at 3 A.M. on a dark street and had to make that decision. When you do let me know how it turns out

For years now CA has required airsoft and some paint ball guns to have orange tips. For about as long thugs have been painting the tips of firearms orange. And Kids with airsoft guns have been using black markers or paint to get rid of the orange.

In 38 years as a cop I saw a lot of orange tips painted black, I never saw a real gun with an orange tip painted on it, I’m sure it has happened but I never saw it, and as the department armorer I photographed and examined every gun we brought in before it went to the lab so I saw a lot of guns

UB, Your comment said it was not a bad shoot. (Nothing personal just trying to provoke further analysis.)

THat is why I asked it the way I did.

Based upon the info in the cited article a 13 year old kid was shot and left paralized.

To me that ought to start life as a bad shoot.

It would logically be left to IA to reason out how a cop would be justified in shooting a 13 year old to make it a good shoot.

Right?

Sorry HTH I see no easy way to make a shooting of a 13 year old kid a justifiable action.

Please take that as meaning a cop should investigate a bit more before shooting the kid vs shooting an adult.

Given the same conditions.

Or do you believe that a 13 year old kid is always a serious threat?

Sorry HTH I see no easy way to make a shooting of a 13 year old kid a justifiable action.

Please take that as meaning a cop should investigate a bit more before shooting the kid vs shooting an adult.

Given the same conditions.

Or do you believe that a 13 year old kid is always a serious threat?

From an article about the shooting. You can find it by following the links in the article about the bill:

Crime | Government | Medical marijuana | Education | Prop 8 | Traffic | Westside

L.A. NOW

Southern California -- this just in

« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »

13-year-old with pellet gun wounded by LAPD officer

December 17, 2010 | 11:02 pm

A Los Angeles police officer shot and wounded a 13-year-old boy who was carrying what turned out to be a pellet gun in the Glassell Park area.

Police said late Friday that the incident occurred about 7:50 p.m. Thursday (So it was fully dark by then) when two LAPD officers on routine patrol in the 3000 block of North Verdugo Road saw three pedestrians in the middle of the street and stopped to investigate. The three people ran, with one ending up behind a van.

The officers got out of their patrol car, and one of them, Officer Victor Abarca, shined a flashlight on the person behind the van and ordered him to surrender. Based on the person’s 5-foot-7, 200-pound frame, (yeah, just your typical teen at 200 pounds) Abarca assumed that he was a young adult male.

Police said the subject refused to comply and instead produced what was later found to be a fake Beretta 92F handgun. Abarca fired his gun, striking the subject.

Los Angeles Fire Department personnel responded and took the subject to a hospital, where he underwent surgery and was listed in critical but stable condition.

After the shooting, Abarca and rescue personnel were stunned to learn that the wounded male was, in fact, just 13. The other two subjects, 13 and 14, were detained without incident after dropping their fake handguns. Three faux weapons were recovered.

Dark, fleeing suspects, one who is likely about the size of the cops taking cover behind a van, pulls a gun (OK "An object that to all intents and purposes looks like a Beretta 92F 9 mm semi-automatic hand gun).

Can you explain how you think that is a bad shoot?

UB, Your comment said it was not a bad shoot. (Nothing personal just trying to provoke further analysis.)

Based upon the info in the cited article a 13 year old kid was shot and left paralized.

It would logically be left to IA to reason out how a cop would be justified in shooting a 13 year old to make it a good shoot.

Right?

I simply cannot to debate the incident in the article. I have no more information on it than you do.

Shooting investigations take all factors into consideration to determine whether the action was reasonable legal and justified. The investigations are extensive and are subject to review by the prosecutor's office and a grand jury in most jurisdictions. Simply saying "a 13 year old was kid paralyzed", while tragic, does not examine exactly what happened.

You assume it was "bad shoot". I don't know if you mean unjustified or if you're using your own definition of bad shoot. Of course it's bad when someone gets shot.

Doesn't mean it was avoidable or illegal.

n using black markers or paint to get rid of the orange.

In 38 years as a cop I saw a lot of orange tips painted black, I never saw a real gun with an orange tip painted on it, I’m sure it has happened but I never saw it, and as the department armorer I photographed and examined every gun we brought in before it went to the lab so I saw a lot of guns

LEOs using the range at the shop I helped out at in N. Calif. told of finding some. Also through the grapevine they had heard of the thugs in Los Angeles doing it too. Maybe not the most common thing, but apparently it was happening at least as early as 2005.

From a linked article in the page the original post links to:

Police said late Friday that the incident occurred about 7:50 p.m. Thursday when two LAPD officers on routine patrol in the 3000 block of North Verdugo Road saw three pedestrians in the middle of the street and stopped to investigate. The three people ran, with one ending up behind a van.

The officers got out of their patrol car, and one of them, Officer Victor Abarca, shined a flashlight on the person behind the van and ordered him to surrender. Based on the person’s 5-foot-7, 200-pound frame, Abarca assumed that he was a young adult male.

Police said the subject refused to comply and instead produced what was later found to be a fake Beretta 92F handgun. Abarca fired his gun, striking the subject.

You hide behind a vehicle when I tell you to come out, and pull what looks like a gun, and I'll shoot you down right there.

This was NO bad shoot on the part of the cops.

Right?

Those boys weren't out collecting for the Red Cross and the officer didn't know he was 13 or that the gun wasn't real. Perhaps you'd feel better if the officer had been paralyzed by a 13-year-old? It could have gone that way just as easily. Your comments come from the perspective of perfect 20-20 hindsight. Please give it a rest.

It appears that some cops find it easy to shoot people and can use any means to justify it.

And it appears other cops find it easy to support shootings and rationalize it the same way.

It appears that some cops find it easy to shoot people and can use any means to justify it.

And it appears other cops find it easy to support shootings and rationalize it the same way.

And it appears that some people assume the cop always makes the wrong decision, no matter the circumstances or evidence, and there's always a conspiracy to cover it up. Dunno where yer coming from, but please give it a rest. it ain't that cut and dried.

Never met an officer like that. Ever. Like the gentleman said, give it a rest.

Archived