SASS Wire Forum

Thanks River Bend Rough Riders

I also posted this same message on Mean Matt's thread. I had been trying to decide whether or not to start a new thread to thank the River Bend “team”. On the wire, people are more interested in learning how to clear a Marlin jam or where to get the best price on Federal primers than they are in hearing the details about how hard some cowboys worked. Matt said I needed to pat myself on the back. The only thing I want to pat myself on the back for was looking at the big picture and deciding what needed to be done. I put good people in each of those major areas of responsibility and then I left them alone. Once I asked “do you have this?” and I got a “yes” answer, I tried to just quit worrying about it. Any kind of a list is a trap because there is never a good place to end it and someone will feel left out. Because of the way I delegated authority, many people recruited helpers that I don’t even know about. Those are the people I might miss. The long range shoot stayed covered while Doc Duncan shot the BP match, I don’t know who did that job – but thank you. It was probably Lyle McDigger and someone else. Cars got parked without incident – I don’t know who all Georgia Slick and Mean Matt McCord had helping with that project – but thank you. Ice water appeared on the bays and the trash stayed hauled away – thank you. I have been told that a SASS world champion who doesn't even belong to the Rough Riders was responsible for a lot of the trash clean up. Thank you Olin Winchester. The River Bend Rough Riders did a great job of seeing that something needed to be done and just doing it. I do know that J.B. Gunnison took on the man’s work of staying by my side and running down every loose end that came up. I might be comatose now without his help. Judge’m all Duncan was my equal partner in this match, so I see no need to further underline that THANK YOU. One of the best things I ever did for myself was sweet talk him into being the match director. Fast Eddie was our sponsor liaison and helped hugely with our marketing for this match. It was his idea to present plaques to all of our match sponsors. Great idea Eddie. Georgia Slick took on the impossible job of making vendor row work. Everyone needed flat ground and River Bend is built on a hillside. I can’t imagine how he made everyone happy, but he did. Along that same line Done Gone was the “sign up” guy, the posse assigner with Judge's help, the accountant and handled our very limited RV parking. He is also our Gun Club Safety Officer. Every responsibilty that no one else wants falls on Done Gone's shoulders. We are lucky they are broad ones. Buckshot Barry is our confuser (oops, computer) guy and handled all of the scoring and got those scores posted on the internet in a matter of hours not days. Doc Duncan installed the lights and fans on the pavilion and ran both the long range side match and helped Judge run the black powder match. The range looked great with some special props. Judge, Jake Dunson, Mean Matt McCord, Sheriff Lord, Rufus Cogburn, Pig Iron Lane and Paiute Pathfinder (among many others) were responsible for that. Blarney Shooter procured the food vendors and made arrangements with the motels for special rates. He is also responsible for keeping signs out so new comers could find the range and the banquet. We have a new sound system that actually works (yea!) thanks to Rufus Cogburn. Rufus and Ruckus Roy did not shoot the match so they could stay available to run all of those 1000 last minute errands. Thanks guys – but next time I want you to shoot too. 3$ Rose ran the costume contest and made some great selections. Yank Machain ran the Wild Bunch side match and Bandanna Redd ran the Warm Up Match. McKenzie River Drifter ran the couples match and my partner in life, Pig Iron Lane ran the team match. Pig Iron also designed and built a great fun side match target that allowed us to shoot a rope in two and thus save Tuco from hanging. I thought I was going to have to take the main match ammo away and store it for a few shooters because they were having so much fun “saving Tuco”. I was thinking of it kind of like Vegas, you always put your going home money in a different pile than your gambling money. Sheriff Lord was a last minute replacement for Shifty Eye at running the side matches. Great job Larry. I know you never moved from that bay for 6 straight hours. Thank you, thank you. Slick’s Sharp Shooter is working with Col. Dan (who supplied our clean match awards) to write the Chronicle article. I am sure her work will live up to the same standards that have already been set. She will have the advantage of photos taken all through the match by Mean Matt McCord. Dirt Merchant lined up Outback Steak House as a match sponsor. Thanks Dirt. Marauder has been very helpful in many of those techno-uniquely-Marauder ways. If you know him, you know what I mean and if you don't know him, it just can't be explained. While most of us view the world in broad stokes, I truly believe Marauder can see it at the molecular level. We very much appreciate the extra effort and feedback he has given us. He has also been one of the match's biggest supporters on the wire. Lady Tombstone did a bang-up job designing our shooter’s books. I have never seen better - even at EOT. Now for the two people I know we couldn’t have done without. My hero Lady Outlaw, Yazoo City Gal and another very good lady shooter Sassy Motchie, kept things running like a top. I would come by every few minutes and ask for my instructions and they would give them to me. Without them you would probably still be waiting in line for your registration packet. All three of the other Atlanta Area clubs (Doc Holliday’s Immortals, the Cherokee Cowboys and the Mule Camp Cowboys) gave generously of time and money to make this match what it was. I wonder how many gallons of peach cobbler Doc Griffin served. I know some of you snuck by - not for seconds – we all did that – but for thirds or maybe fourths. I hope you are still reading because these are the folks that made our match work. Well, Judge tells me that he prayed for good weather and that seemed to work too. THANK YOU and also thanks to all of the folks that I didn’t know about – I know you are out there because things just ran too smoothly. Everyone knew exactly what to do with his or her piece of the puzzle and the picture turned out to be beautiful. Witch Doctor

This was a really nice post, Witch Doctor. Maggie Darlin' and I had the best time. But if you shoot well, any match is fun. (Shooting over my head actually). I hope that you guys will host the match for many years to come, and let the talented Judge do the stages. Thanks to posse 8 for everyone contributing and sharing the load. That Cypress Sam is always doing something. I also like the title you hung on Marauder, Molecular Man. Azz

Witch Doctor

You are showing your colors--a genuinely inspirational leader who remembers the many she leads. The Roughriders are lucky to have you. Consider this a membership application--check to follow.

Cassalong Hopidy

Just goes to show ya , the best man for the job was a woman.

"Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results."

George S. Patton

Thanks for the leadership.

Fast Eddie

Archived