SASS Wire Forum

Brass Catcher

Miss Allie,

I ain't readin' three pages of questions and answers... (if I wanted to play 20 questions, I'd make sure the wife had another kid)... the solution is simple... brass ages and gets worked hardened. About 5 to 10 reloads is all I really expect... sometimes I get more, but that's about what I figure on. So... ya practice (it ain't a sin unless ya shoot in the Baptist Category), with your new stuff and dutifully record how many times it's been loaded... then when it's been reloaded 7 or 8 times... you load it one last time for use in a match... You've just evened the odds on it crackin' or splittin' or otherwise being unserviceable as soon as you shoot it; and you don't want that stuff back anyway!

Problem solved. Sweep off the stage and put it in the trash. Next shooter!

:ph34r: (The above was wholly tongue-in-cheek...) Except that Baptist category part... I shoot in that one, most of the time... well... ok, actually it's the "I-wanna-be-a-Baptist-but-I-like-drinkin'-and-dancin'-too-much" category! Called Frontiersman... the fire and brimstone bunch.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Miss Allie,

I ain't readin' three pages of questions and answers... (if I wanted to play 20 questions, I'd make sure the wife had another kid)... the solution is simple... brass ages and gets worked hardened. About 5 to 10 reloads is all I really expect... sometimes I get more, but that's about what I figure on. So... ya practice (it ain't a sin unless ya shoot in the Baptist Category), with your new stuff and dutifully record how many times it's been loaded... then when it's been reloaded 7 or 8 times... you load it one last time for use in a match... You've just evened the odds on it crackin' or splittin' or otherwise being unserviceable as soon as you shoot it; and you don't want that stuff back anyway!

Problem solved. Sweep off the stage and put it in the trash. Next shooter!

:ph34r: (The above was wholly tongue-in-cheek...) Except that Baptist category part... I shoot in that one, most of the time... well... ok, actually it's the "I-wanna-be-a-Baptist-but-I-like-drinkin'-and-dancin'-too-much" category! Called Frontiersman... the fire and brimstone bunch.

Bein' Baptist doesn't mean one 's a sinner any less - nor does refrainin' from dancin' and drinkin' make one any more Christian ~ my view from the saddle...figured I'd share that, whatever it's worth...or not...whatever one believes....or not. ;)

Now - what's this about? somebody needing some brass......:P

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Allie, I tried following that link you had to the catcher you said was what you were looking for, but the link was dead.

If you haven't found what you are looking for, post a pic of your stages so the rest of us can understand the problem. Also how many do you have working a posse?

Golly gee whilikers no E I warn't thinkin' to try to be condeesending whatever that means. I was workin' without tools again just to be thinkin'. I was merely trying to communicate that WB is not gonna be much fun if ya worry about losing brass.

Now I don't think I've PMed you in years now and until just now never realized you resented it. My altruism is often misunderstood. Rest assured I will not condescend to bother ever again. At least I have ascended to the level of GCK and Manatee and managed to put a bee in your bonnet. You come here and engage in the repartee but want everyone to agree with you and sing kumbaya. Not gonna happen. Grow some skin. Never claimed to be smart. If I were smart I would quit wasting my time trying to help the ungrateful. And I am sure far from rich. But I don't sweat lost brass or get emotionally attached to a few pieces of base metal, which I say agin IS cheap.

I say again -- shoot with abandon, don't sweat the brass.

Colonel, I can sure dang betcha they ain't gonna let ya wear that contraption at a SASS match. Fine for practice tho.

I notice in your sidebar you say you are seeking a CAS woman. With your attitude and manners I expect it will be a long search! I don't know how you do things up in Canada eh, but down south a gentleman keeps a civil tongue in his head when speaking to ladies. You should try it. :angry:

Allie Mo was asking for information, not looking to debate. As far as what makes WB shooting fun that's a matter of opinion. Pretty arrogant of you to think your opinion defines everyone else's enjoyment.

My mistake Rex! Regardless of where he's from I don't have much respect for a man who responds to a perfectly legitimate question by disparaging the question's premise and then correcting the grammar of the questioner. And to imply that AM has formed an emotional attachment to her brass was clearly intended to offend. So count me as offended. There's a distinct difference between 'stirring the pot' and lurking beneath a bridge and pouncing on passing threads.

Hi Foard,

I tried this link again and it worked for me.

Here is a photo of a couple of our stages.

I described the problem in the following post. It is not the number of posse members it is the layout of the props.

...Part of the problem at our range is that there are two stages on each berm. At the CA State WB Championship, we were lucky :unsure: (this year) to only have three posses. So the posses were staggered and we were given 5 minutes to go downrange and get brass after the posse was done shooting. The part I didn't like was tripping over the ropes (used to pull up targets) and falling in my face. Also, the first folks there would get into the best positions and those following couldn't see any brass as most of it tended to land next to the building.

Each stage has three shooting positions and the trend is to let the shooter select which windows to shoot his/her choice of gun. This means that at various matches with different target setups, the shooter could be shooting the 1911 out of any of the three positions.

One option I can envision is a screen (or tiny-hole mesh) contraption that is higher on one side than the other. The brass would roll to the low end near the prop where the "picker uppers" could reach it.

Regards,

Allie Mo

PS Thank you for your support Captain Burt. You are a gentleman!

When at a range where brass goes beyond the firing line, but the line is closed at the end of each shooter to be able to manually reset targets, all the brass is picked up. This is when I use my Marlin or '92 which throws emptys forward. When the brass is not recoverable until the entire shoot is over, then I use my '66 or my Henry Big Boy (I know, I know)but the Henry drops the empties in a neat pile right next to my right foot. :)

Hi Buffalo Creek Law Dog,

We don't go downrange to reset targets due to shared berms. We have ropes tied to them to assist in resetting.

During CAS matches, my .38 Marlin, ejects behind me and I use nickle at monthly matches. So no problem there whether I get it back or not.

However, when shooting and ejecting 23 to 28 .45 rifle and 1911 rounds and only getting 3-5 back on a stage at a WB match, I was curious if another club had a solution.

Now, if you are wondering why I posted this here, I did so as I hadn't received any replies that we could use on the WB Forum.

Again, thank you all who tried to help.

Regards,

Allie Mo

My mistake Rex! Regardless of where he's from I don't have much respect for a man who responds to a perfectly legitimate question by disparaging the question's premise and then correcting the grammar of the questioner. And to imply that AM has formed an emotional attachment to her brass was clearly intended to offend. So count me as offended. There's a distinct difference between 'stirring the pot' and lurking beneath a bridge and pouncing on passing threads.

Captain Bill, if you hang around here long enuff then you too will most likely author a post or twa that some other denizen here will miscontrue or misunderstand. Unless you are the Omnicscient One I do not think you can be privy to any of the rest of us here's motives. As I have tried to explain, my motive on this string was to try to get folks to chalk up the inevitable lost brass of not only WBAS but CAS too without so much wailing and gnashing of teeth. That you choose to take undeserved umbrage at my feeble attempts is on you bud.

Allie Mo doesn't need you riding to her rescue. She usually gives as good as she gets. Altho, I did have to shake my head and go "tsk, tsk" when she chose to engage in witty repartee with the Great Leviathan. As the reigning Queen of the SASS Wire she does tend to get a little imperious at times but we all love her and give her a lot of leeway most times. I have a great deal of respect for No E as she has overcome a lot of adversity yet maintains that radiant smile. A few of us have a way of putting a "bee in her bonnet" at times but oh well. That's gonna happen on the innerwebs where folks' read things in they shouldn't. You somehow feeling I was attacking her or whatever you may have thot is just wrong pard. I did not. Your perception of something does not make it so. My inability to adequately express myself is a failing but you leaping to false conclusions is, well, saddening.

As far as my prospects for attracting a CAS woman, I admit I don't try all that hard at all. Been single since 85 when the third wife went on down the road. I have a more harmonious outcome that way. None of your look out anyhoo.

So far as your opinion of me or lack of respect for me or whatever, you have no idea how little I care. Lots of pards have misconstrued my postings to this string or that thread in the past and will continue to do so into the infinite future, I have no doubt. But I'm just expressing one man's opinion even if sometimes I can't convey what I mean to be my true meaning to all, some of whom may be a little lacking in reading comprehension skills. Or like you, omniscient and certain their perception of what a pard types just HAS to be the way it is. Well maybe it ain't. Ever think of that? Maybe it's just your false perception. He who leap to conclusion may leap wrong way. I fought for the right of all or us here to have an opinion and to express it no matter how inadequate the effort. Even you.

Lone Dog...You may have to change the name of your club to the American River Regulators so he can keep his countries straight. :lol: :lol:

Hello,

I talked to "gun boy" about modifying my .45 Marlin's and 1911's ejectors. He said it was simple to do blah blah. However, that does not mean blah blah will be forthcoming in a timely manner. I've been "after him" for a year to prep a gun and ammo for me to shoot WB. He finally did it when the State WB Match was less than one month away.

Anyway, lost brass has been an issue for a long time. It is more of an issue in our current economic situation. I see no reason why a solution cannot be considered. Maybe nothing will come of it. :unsure:

Regards,

Allie Mo

PS I think I've been kissed (love her) and kicked (imperious). :blink: Oh well, it's better than just a kick in the butt. ;)

Wal now if'n that's the worst appellation gets laid on ya, ye will be alright.

Heck fire I got called a troll!!!

Oh yeah, Bill, I durn near forgot -- all passing threads are fair game for pouncing on. Not just here but on all electron inconveniencing fora.

I prefer the shade under the bridge to perchin' on the railing soakin' up sun...

Oh yeah, Bill, I durn near forgot -- all passing threads are fair game for pouncing on. Not just here but on all electron inconveniencing fora.

Spoken like a true troll who comes to forums not to exchange information and opinions in a civil manner, but to 'pounce'.

Personally I look for a higher level of civility on a cowboy forum. I read your original response and it was clear to me that you were behaving like a boor without any provocation whatsoever. The OP clearly felt the same way.

Cowboy up, you meant to offend, admit it and don't hide behind nonsensical excuses about being misconstrued. You're not the Red Queen whose words mean exactly what YOU want, no more no less.

Sorry for hijacking your thread Allie Mo, but it will be a cold day in hell when I see a lady like you attacked and don't step in. Good luck with finding a brass catcher and my hat's off to you for looking out for the cowboys in your club.

Allie,

Correct me where I am wrong, but you are trying to recover the brass that is thrown downrange. If so, why not build a pvc frame that lies on the ground with some screen or netting on top of it. Put some hinges on the frame attached to the firing line. You could use a couple rope to tilt up the downrange end so that the brass would roll towards the firing line.

You put these catchers around the area where you are shooting and make them large enough to cover the area where brass is thrown.

Whenever you needed to mow you could pull the down range end all the way up and people could work on the area under the netting. It should be pretty cheap too...

Allie,

Correct me where I am wrong, but you are trying to recover the brass that is thrown downrange. If so, why not build a pvc frame that lies on the ground with some screen or netting on top of it. Put some hinges on the frame attached to the firing line. You could use a couple rope to tilt up the downrange end so that the brass would roll towards the firing line.

You put these catchers around the area where you are shooting and make them large enough to cover the area where brass is thrown.

Whenever you needed to mow you could pull the down range end all the way up and people could work on the area under the netting. It should be pretty cheap too...

Hi Foard,

Thanks for your post. You are getting close to a solution. However, just getting it to the firing line would not work as we have shared berms and buildings abutting the line.

Following are my thoughts so far.

Build a frame for a screen. Have it be wider than the building front. Put one end at the side of the building and have the other end extend beyond the building's other side. Make it sloped to the edge that is farther out than the building. If possible build it in such a way that the extended end funnels

the brass back behind or close to the shooting line.

I think it would need to not be attached, so that we can easily dump the winter debris out.

Regards,

Allie Mo

PS We don't mow. It's pretty sandy.

Smelt net with a weighted base to hold it upright. Doesn't look "cowboy" and you would need one at each pistol station unless you wrote it into the stage description and the shooter moved it each time to pre positioned bases but it works for me shooting my .45 at a fixed location. Don't even have to bend down to collect brass.

http://www.basspro.com/Shad-Smelt-Shrimp-Net/product/1329/-385214

Spoken like a true troll who comes to forums not to exchange information and opinions in a civil manner, but to 'pounce'.

Personally I look for a higher level of civility on a cowboy forum. I read your original response and it was clear to me that you were behaving like a boor without any provocation whatsoever. The OP clearly felt the same way.

Cowboy up, you meant to offend, admit it and don't hide behind nonsensical excuses about being misconstrued. You're not the Red Queen whose words mean exactly what YOU want, no more no less.

Sorry for hijacking your thread Allie Mo, but it will be a cold day in hell when I see a lady like you attacked and don't step in. Good luck with finding a brass catcher and my hat's off to you for looking out for the cowboys in your club.

Well Bill, I don't know how we ever got along before you showed up to impose your rules of civility on the rest of us. Oh yeah, we did just fine thank you very much. One thing we did not do and you need to heed this is call other pards here trolls. Once again, you are confusing your perception of something with reality. I do not need to cowboy up and admit to being anything you claim. I am not a boor nor a troll just because you say so.

I would say you are misguided but since you seem to be self guided, obviously you are lost. Lost and without a clue. Get a clue. I am not one of your little students and you are not the omniscient one you seem to think you are. I do not have to give any credence to your mouthings and I do not. I am guided always here by altruism. Even if you cannot see it. Why would I waste my time if motivation were not to attempt to help folks and fight against misconceptions and false perceptions? If I were a troll I doubt I would have lasted here so long.

I will continue to chime in where and when I please, thank you very much. Whether you like it or don't like it.

Come on guys (that would be Lone Dog and Capt. Bill) I know that everyone feels a need to stand up for themselves (I personally have had occasion to do the same many a time from stepping on someones toes), or to stand up for one another, neither of which is doing anything to help Allie get her brass catching screen ideas answered. I've authored threads or chimed in on others and either intentionally or inadvertently ticked someone off (a name comes to mind here) and the whole thread turns into a "he said/she said" and a "I know you are, but what am I" elementary recess squabble that is quite unbecoming of adult SASS shooters. We can do better than this can't we? Let's let the water pass under the bridge and limit the posts to Allie's request for brass screening ideas and suggestions and helpful information. How about it? I'm trying to clean my act up (difficult at times I admit but well worth the effort).

Allie earlier I thought I heard a real good suggestion about some netting and PVC pipe. If you could use that suggestion in addition to making an additional section of this PVC screened wall (as it were) to place vertically between the two stages that share common berms. That way folks's brass being shot from the left stage would hit this vertical wall and stay on the left side, not going over to the right side. The right sides brass would of course would remain on their own side with the guns ejecting to the right anyway.

____

|

|

|

|

|

|

|---------------------------------O

In the above picture, the shooter would be on the left shooting to the right. The vertical line is the counter with its counter top. The line on the bottom is the PVC pipe and screening which would be pulled up to collect the brass near the counter bottom after the stage was shot. Smithy.

some stuff out on the Net Miss Allie

http://www.ctkprecision.com/brasscatcher.aspx

I bought a pop up 10' x 10' sunshade canopy that was on sale for $50 at Big 5 sporting goods here in Las Vegas. Today it is 112 in the shade and hotter in the sun today. I bought the canopy to keep me cool on the range. Then I thought why not hang down a sheet/blanket etc on the eject side of the canopy with clothespins? It worked perfectly. One whole side of my canopy has the sheet hanging down to the ground and some protrudes about a foot or two into the shaded area. My Ruger P90 tosses the .45's against the ceiling or the sheet and all the cases end up on the sheet near the L formed by the vertical to the horizontal sheet. The 9MM cases and the 380 ACP's also find a home. The brass is kept clean; no sand. I don't step on them and instead of a 30 to 45 minute bending, stooping and cussing session at the end of my range time I spend 5 minutes putting it all in a bucket. Then the remaining 5 mins I spend taking down the sunshade and loading up for the trip home. Best $50 I ever spent. No more sore back, sore knees and wasted time.

some stuff out on the Net Miss Allie

http://www.ctkprecision.com/brasscatcher.aspx

I bought a pop up 10' x 10' sunshade canopy that was on sale for $50 at Big 5 sporting goods here in Las Vegas. Today it is 112 in the shade and hotter in the sun today. I bought the canopy to keep me cool on the range. Then I thought why not hang down a sheet/blanket etc on the eject side of the canopy with clothespins? It worked perfectly. One whole side of my canopy has the sheet hanging down to the ground and some protrudes about a foot or two into the shaded area. My Ruger P90 tosses the .45's against the ceiling or the sheet and all the cases end up on the sheet near the L formed by the vertical to the horizontal sheet. The 9MM cases and the 380 ACP's also find a home. The brass is kept clean; no sand. I don't step on them and instead of a 30 to 45 minute bending, stooping and cussing session at the end of my range time I spend 5 minutes putting it all in a bucket. Then the remaining 5 mins I spend taking down the sunshade and loading up for the trip home. Best $50 I ever spent. No more sore back, sore knees and wasted time.

http://www.bubca.com/

Captain Burt, thank you for your support. Lone Dog has been given "what for" before. He likes to give advice but seems to be deaf to taking advice. It is best to ignore folks like him. Wish I could consistently follow my own advice. ;)

Jake, thanks for posting. Those "butterfly net" things are not practical for our situation.

Smithy, I'm not sure what I am seeing in your drawing. Also, these tangents and squabbles are part of the nature of the Wire. I can't see them stopping. However, I am shocked at the negativity and animosity on a thread like this.

Regards,

Allie Mo

Archived