SASS Wire Forum

Taylors Handlebar Doc Vaqueros

Hi Folks:

I was browsing the Taylors Website & came across a page on Handlebar Doc New Vaqueros.

I'm looking fer a pair of 38s in 7.5 inch.

Looks like the Handlebar Docs come in that variety.

Weird cuz I didn't know Ruger made a 7.5" .357 new Vaquero

Anybody shooting Taylors new Handlebar Doc New Vaqueros?

How are they?

Thanks

--Dawg

Well if there was any tuning or tweaking on 'em, spings or sights or anything else, they'd have said so. They don't, so they're almost certainly "standard Ruger production" done up for Taylor's with just the grip medallions as "special". Oh...hey, they appear to still have the fake-case finish:

http://www.taylorsfirearms.com/products/cfHandlebarDoc.tpl

Interesting.

There's also what appears to be a revival of the 50th Anniversary 357 Blackhawk Flattop, now out of production for some years. And a variant in stainless like that, that we've never seen before. These are "mid-frame" guns, same as the NewVaq. They're also in the same mid-frame family as the 44Spl Blackhawks.

Something else occurs to me. Longhunter is both a Ruger and Taylor's dealer. Odds are he could get these at dealer prices and tune 'em up for you before you get 'em, and either correct or return any birth defect situations before you see 'em. I'd call him and ask if you happen to want one of these variants. He might be able to retrofit SBH hammers, dunno about that or what it would cost.

They did say the following in the description.............

"Custom Shop Action" for the smoothest, easiest cocking ever

I wonder if that would refer to any sort of action job on Taylor's part? Sweet looking gun in any case. Smithy.

Howdy

Some of those features listed are standard on all New Vaqueros. Lighter mainspring than the 'original model' Vaquero, a spring plunger mounted in the recoil shield to line up the chambers with the loading gate, and beveled front of the cylinder. Dunno about some of the other features.

I have always found Taylors very honest and easy to deal with. Why not simply call them up and ask?

I will.

I found them at Midnight last night & they're not open yet.

--Dawg

Never made the Vaquero or New Vaquero in 7.5" in .357, only the .45 and companies always make the mistake of listing that barrel length along with the .357's. I have handled a couple and although I like Taylors and their proucts you would be better served to either just buy a stock pair, or buy them from several vendors that specialize in working on Rugers. Jimmy Spurs of Cowboy Gunworks is my favorite.

Hi Deuce:

That's what I thought.

Called Taylors today & they have been discontinued anyway.

--Dawg

I have gabbed with pards I respect who claim they have actually beheld one or more NV 357s with 7.5 inch tubes. I remain skeptical. The only 7.5 NVs Ruger ever claimed to have built were 45 and those are discontinued now. This fact does not preclude a few uncatalogued items so I dunno fo sho.

I think if someone actually beheld the mythical creature someone else had RV barrels put onto NVs.

I have gabbed with pards I respect who claim they have actually beheld one or more NV 357s with 7.5 inch tubes. I remain skeptical. The only 7.5 NVs Ruger ever claimed to have built were 45 and those are discontinued now. This fact does not preclude a few uncatalogued items so I dunno fo sho.

I think if someone actually beheld the mythical creature someone else had RV barrels put onto NVs.

I know of a few pair, but they are all custom built guns. I have a pair of 7.5" .357 Ruger barrels in the safe for just such a conversion some day.

There's also what appears to be a revival of the 50th Anniversary 357 Blackhawk Flattop, now out of production for some years. And a variant in stainless like that, that we've never seen before. These are "mid-frame" guns, same as the NewVaq. They're also in the same mid-frame family as the 44Spl Blackhawks.

I could be wrong here, but I think the New Model Blackhawk is the more recent Blackhawk that is larger than the early three screw guns and the 50th Anniversary guns.

I could be wrong here, but I think the New Model Blackhawk is the more recent Blackhawk that is larger than the early three screw guns and the 50th Anniversary guns.

Howdy

Don't confuse New Model Blackhawk with New Vaquero. To paraphrase an old Smith & Wesson phrase (sort of), not all Blackhawks are New Models, but all Vaqueros are New Models.

In Rutgeese, New Model means the gun has a transfer bar. Hence all Vaqueros, whether the 'original model' or the New Vaquero (not New Model Vaquero, no such thing) are New Models, they all leave the factory with a transfer bar. All New Model Blackhawks have the large frame that originally was only supplied with 44 Magnum Super Blackhawks.* The old three screw 357 Mag Blackhawks had a smaller frame. When they went to the New Model lockwork, Ruger simplified things by making all calibers of Blackhawks on the big frame. The 'original model' Vaqueros were built on the same size frame. The New Vaquero is built on a frame the same size as the old three screw Blackhawks.

*footnote: The 44 Special Blackhawks that Ruger is making right now, NVB-444-SPCL and NVB-445-SPCL are indeed built on the smaller three screw sized frame, but they are New Models because they have transfer bars and the transfer bar lockwork.

Confused?

Howdy

Don't confuse New Model Blackhawk with New Vaquero. To paraphrase an old Smith & Wesson phrase (sort of), not all Blackhawks are New Models, but all Vaqueros are New Models.

In Rutgeese, New Model means the gun has a transfer bar. Hence all Vaqueros, whether the 'original model' or the New Vaquero (not New Model Vaquero, no such thing) are New Models, they all leave the factory with a transfer bar. All New Model Blackhawks have the large frame that originally was only supplied with 44 Magnum Super Blackhawks.* The old three screw 357 Mag Blackhawks had a smaller frame. When they went to the New Model lockwork, Ruger simplified things by making all calibers of Blackhawks on the big frame. The 'original model' Vaqueros were built on the same size frame. The New Vaquero is built on a frame the same size as the old three screw Blackhawks.

*footnote: The 44 Special Blackhawks that Ruger is making right now, NVB-444-SPCL and NVB-445-SPCL are indeed built on the smaller three screw sized frame, but they are New Models because they have transfer bars and the transfer bar lockwork.

Confused?

I'm with you. I shoot original Vaqueros...big guns. I've owned New Vaqueros...small guns. Sugah shoots New Model Blackhawks...big guns. I also own some 50th Anniversary Blackhawks...small guns. We're about to purchase some three screw Blackhawks for Sugah...small guns. It does get confusing and Ruger throwing the word "New" in now and then makes it worse...especially when there's a gun like the 50th Anniversary guns that are newer (more recently released) than the now old New Model Blackhawks.

I bet Daniel the Brief's head is spinning now. :D

Archived