SASS Wire Forum

pants with belts

dgwii

since belts have been worn on pants since 1800-2000 B.C., why can,t we wear pants with belts in sass matches ?

Of course, through all that time, men have also been wearing some sort of skirt too. And carrying purses.

the sass rule book.

Please note the page and section that leads you to think this. Belts are absolutely legal. In fact, B-Western requires belts and doesn't allow suspenders.

I think it means that ya can't have a belt 'til after the shootin's done and the guns are put away... ;)

sorry, I thought this was a spin-off of the "we were SO poor..." thread

Shooter's handbook

Page 16 under requirements for B Western Category

• Pants must be jeans, ranch pants, or pants with flap over the rear pocket, keystone belt

loops, and/or piping or fringe.

Pants must be worn with a belt. Suspenders are not allowed. Felt hats only, no straw hats. Hats must be worn.

RO II Manual, Page 11 under B-Western requirements

• Clothing: Shirts must be of the B–Western style with snap buttons or any of the

following: “smiley pockets,” embroidery, appliqués, fringe, or different colored

yokes. Shield shirts are also allowed if they have piping or embroidery. Pants must

be jeans, ranch pants, or pants with flap over the rear pocket, keystone belt loops,

and/or piping or fringe. Pants must be worn with a belt. Suspenders are not allowed.

Felt hats only, no straw hats. Hats must be worn. Boots are required and must be of

traditional design with fancy stitching or multi-color fancy design with non-grip

enhancing (i.e. “NO Lug”) soles. Lace-up boots and moccasins are not allowed.

Western spurs with rowels are required for men. Ladies may wear skirts or split

riding skirts.

These are the ONLY places that address belts that are there to hold your pants up (something other than a gun or ammo belt.) It is a somewhat common misconception that belts are not allowed, or specifically not allowed in the Classic Cowboy category - if that is so, show me the rule.

Here is a link to the SASS handbooks.

Then there are the folks who wear what I call Murphy's Insurance: suspenders and a belt.

Wasn't it Fonda in 'Once upon a Time in the West' that said "Who would trust you?...a man who wears a belt and suspenders at the same...can't even trust his own pants" (or somethin' like that) :lol:

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Perhaps I'm overly suspicious but here we have an OP that joins the forum, posts a question and when it's answered references the SASS handbook. When questioned about what part of the handbook (s)he was referring to, the OP doesn't respond. (S)he hasn't filled out his profile, and when I located the only SASS club I could find named "Greenville Gunfighters", I couldn't find his name on any of the match score sheets. SASS alias locator indicates there isn't a member "dgwii". A troll perhaps?

Bad Hand, while possible, I prefer to give him the benefit of the doubt. With the SASS number he likely joined Fall of 2009 of thereabouts. Could be that other things got in the way of shooting for a while and now he's starting back up. Could also be that his forum name doesn't match his alias that would be in the score sheets.

I've been given the impression by multiple sources that belt's weren't allowed except in B western. Things like that tend to get repeated and taken as rule without being checked out... I've even done it my own self at times.

Or it could be a troll.

Grizz

edit to remove multiple multiple sources.

Bad Hand, while possible, I prefer to give him the benefit of the doubt. With the SASS number he likely joined Fall of 2009 of thereabouts. Could be that other things got in the way of shooting for a while and now he's starting back up. Could also be that his forum name doesn't match his alias that would be in the score sheets.

I've been given the impression by multiple sources that belt's weren't allowed except in B western from multiple sources. Things like that tend to get repeated and taken as rule without being checked out... I've even done it my own self at times.

Or it could be a troll.

Grizz

True, but the OP specifically cites the SASS rule book.

True, but the OP specifically cites the SASS rule book.

Indeed he does. Could be he was told "no belts allowed, it's in the rule book, look it up" by a more seasoned cowboy shooter and thus took his word for it rather than checking it out.

Guest Tennessee Stud, SASS# 43634 Life

since belts have been worn on pants since 1800-2000 B.C., why can,t we wear pants with belts in sass matches ?

In the early days of SASS... whilst ALL the Wild Bunch was out drinkin' one night... one of 'em's woman snuck that rule in the book. Ever since then... all the SASS wimmen been gettin' their jollies outta men-folk's britches fallin' down.

It's happened to me a time or two... embarrassin' as hell. Thankfully... none of the wimmen noticed... and when they did... they commenced to laffin'... fallin' down... an rollin' bout the range pointin' at me.

After the first time... it gets easier.

ts

There is no rule, rhyme or reason prohibiting pants or jeans with belt loops. It just depends on how you want to dress: and you can dress "B-Western" without shooting in that category.

It just depends on what game you are playing in your mind. If you are planning on portraying an 1870's character, then you might take this into consideration:

"Belt loops were not common before the 20th century. Most pants were worn with suspenders. In 1910 some suits, but not all, had belt loops. Levi Strauss began adding belt loops to its jeans in 1922."

Operative term is "not common." Doesn't mean there weren't ANY.

Play the game any way you want, there's enough categories and costuming options for everyone!

Buena suerte,

eGG

Heck, the zipper was patented in 1851. It wasn't common for decades, but it was out there! The "RULES" are loosley written to include almost everybody!! Those who try to prevent others from playing by making up rules are working against the rest of us and should be severely chastised for doing so!! :angry::unsure::lol::lol::lol:

There's a group conspirin' ta' shoot in kilts sometime this summer at a major match.

Just sayin'!

In 2000 BC they were barely walking upright, I doubt they concerned themselves with belts. :rolleyes:

Wasn't it Fonda in 'Once upon a Time in the West' that said "Who would trust you?...a man who wears a belt and suspenders at the same...can't even trust his own pants" (or somethin' like that) :lol:

GG ~ :FlagAm:

:P

Archived