SASS Wire Forum

45 Long Colt Brass

Dang It Dan 13202

Spread your order over two or three suppliers

Any state matches that you can buy "lost brass" ?

I prefer Starline myself. I seem to be able to get more reloads out of it than the other. Results may vary just like opinions. ;) Then again if it is another brand, isn't cracked and looks okay, I'll reload it. But like I said, if I'm buying new brass, I prefer Starline. Good luck.

Tonic

Was in a gun shop in Prescott Valley AZ Saturday and they had a bin of about 500 once fire .45LC for .15 per. Was considering buying but my buddy was antzy to hit the road and I thought .15 per for mixed was high enough to haggle over.

You might give them a call and see if they will ship.

Prescott Valley Guns

8620 E State Route 69, Prescott Valley, AZ 86314-8702 (928) 772-7705 ‎

Dang It Dan,

Talked with Starline several times today.

45LC will ship June 3rd. That's 3 weeks.

You'll have it in 4.

I have other suppliers for Winchester and Remington brass but their pricing is 10% to 15% higher and will take 2 to 3 weeks to ship.

So it doesn't matter. You need the brass. Order it now and it will show up in 4 weeks.

CH

There's almost always someone on Gunbroker who has some. Sometimes new and sometimes once?-fired. There are currently 42 postings. Good luck.

PP

I buy loaded ammo from Georgia Arms (Starline brass loaded to just above cowboy loads). They always have it, and the prices are better than most factory loads.

I buy .32 WCF, .38 WCF and .45 Colt year round with no waiting.

BTW - There is no such thing as .45 Long Colt, just .45 Colt. The US Army used Colt SAA's in .45 Colt in 1873-1890's. They also used the S&W Schofield chambered in .45 S&W (Schofield). This shorter Schofield cartridge became commonly used throughout the Army since it chambered in both guns. The term 'Long' Colt was the unofficial term usd by the soldiers for the standard .45 Colt. There is no .45 Short or Regular Colt.

Stick with Starline if you can. It's just as good as Remington, better than Winchester, and at a better price than either one.

Was in a gun shop in Prescott Valley AZ Saturday and they had a bin of about 500 once fire .45LC for .15 per. Was considering buying but my buddy was antzy to hit the road and I thought .15 per for mixed was high enough to haggle over.

You might give them a call and see if they will ship.

Prescott Valley Guns

8620 E State Route 69, Prescott Valley, AZ 86314-8702 (928) 772-7705 ‎

Thanks for the info.

Will give them a try.

I buy loaded ammo from Georgia Arms (Starline brass loaded to just above cowboy loads). They always have it, and the prices are better than most factory loads.

I buy .32 WCF, .38 WCF and .45 Colt year round with no waiting.

BTW - There is no such thing as .45 Long Colt, just .45 Colt. The US Army used Colt SAA's in .45 Colt in 1873-1890's. They also used the S&W Schofield chambered in .45 S&W (Schofield). This shorter Schofield cartridge became commonly used throughout the Army since it chambered in both guns. The term 'Long' Colt was the unofficial term usd by the soldiers for the standard .45 Colt. There is no .45 Short or Regular Colt.

Yeah, I got a guy down here that remanufactures as well, but he only uses a 250 gr bullet. I guess I could always just shoot his stuff and then reload what I want.

The term "long colt" has always stuck with me over the years. Just a habbit I guess.

Thanks.

The term "long colt" has always stuck with me over the years. Just a habbit I guess.

Thanks.

Until the makers stop using the designation, they will be .45LC

Until the makers stop using the designation, they will be .45LC

So what makers are using the designation 45LC?

Cartridge Boxes

By the way, I usually buy Winchester brass, but I have gotten a bit tired of how infrequently it is available. I think I'm gonna call up Starline for 500 45 Colts and 500 44-40s. I already use their brass for 45 Schofield, 45 AR, and 44 Russian. I am completely satisfied with Starline's quality, and they are very easy to deal with directly. Try calling Winchester some time to talk to them about brass.

I've got 500 45colt, mixed headstamps, mostly 1X fired for $100.00 shipped (USPS priority, you'd have it in 3 days)

How's that '97 working out? I found another one not quite as nice as the one you got, but real close.

The shotgun is AWSOME!

I will gladly take the brass. Shoot me a PM with the info and I will send you a check plus the shipping.

Thanks.

Dan

Sounds like you've found a source, but thought I would toss in that I went to the recently opened Cabela's in Allen, TX (just north of Dallas), and they had an ample of supply of .45 Colt brass on hand. Seemed to be pretty well stocked on all reloading supplies, such as primers, brass, powder, and projectiles.

Regards, TJH

Daniel the Brief:

The term 45 Long Colt is simply a crutch used by gun shop clerks to make sure that a customer doesn't want 45ACP ammo when he asks for a box of 45 Colt ammo. It has become a convention to use the abbreviation 45LC, and that's what Cimarron and Taylors are doing, but the official SAAMI designation for the cartridge is 45 Colt. See the official SAAMI documents below.

SAAMI Contents

SAAMI 45 Colt Drawing

That's why the manufacturers of ammo use the designation 45 Colt on the boxes I posted earlier.

Ya gots no reason to justify yerselv to me but it was right purdy done.

So long as the designation is still used by makers of firearms and reloading equipment, the reference will be made.

Besides, why mess with 100 years of naming oddity just to be technically correct :)

Iffin you say yer shootin 45 Colt er 45Long Colt, they make the same "ding" on the steel So I say, go with style and go "Long".

Several well known including Evil Roy use the term 45 Long Colt and don't care if they are helping a wrong to remain so. In one of the Cowboy shows another well known stated that he had been using the 45 Long Colt for many years. He just did not take the time to read a little history about the cartridge that he shot for so many years.The example of Taylor's and Cimarron is not a good source to refer to as they are retail stores selling a product for profit and could care less about being correct with the history of a cartridge. While working in a gun store in the early 70's one of my co workers had a thing about using the correct terminology when speaking. We were a full service gun store and carried not only guns and ammo but reloading and casting equipment and supplies. Bill would be standing there and a customer would come in and say, I would like a box of 38 bullets. Bill stepped over to the reloading section and picked up a box of 38 spl lead bullets and sat them on the counter in front of the customer. They would look down at the small box and pick it up and say, I want the ones that are ready to shoot. Bill would then say Oh I'm sorry you want ammunition. This here sir is a 38 bullet and the box that you want is called ammunition. They are two different things and I was giving you what you requested. I would have to walk away to keep from busting out. Bill had corrected another neophyte.

Well,

Thanks for all the info on the .45 LONG colt brass. I ran some down with the help of some friends and have the reloader all set to run some this weekend. Now, I need to leard to shoot my 45 rifle as fast as my 38 rifle, so if anyone has a super-secret recipe for a "no recoil" 45 round, just send me a PM. Thanks.

Dang It

I found 360 at the local indoor range.

Paid .15 each which is high,but atleast

I got them without a 2 to 3 month wait.

Archived