SASS Wire Forum

'66-'73 carrier modification?

stonewall willie-1

I was at a shoot and saw a cowboy jack out a live round during a stage, then load a round through the top of his '73 at the end of the run. It looked like he put the round on top of the carrier and then closed the bolt and chambered the round. I did not get to see if he had modified the top of his carrier, but I can't do this with my "stock" carrier..Any ideas?? Stonewall

I was at a shoot and saw a cowboy jack out a live round during a stage, then load a round through the top of his '73 at the end of the run. It looked like he put the round on top of the carrier and then closed the bolt and chambered the round. I did not get to see if he had modified the top of his carrier, but I can't do this with my "stock" carrier..Any ideas?? Stonewall

He didn't insert the round into the lifter. He actually "chambered" the round with the lifter down so that when the lifter came up, the round was already in the chamber.

I shoot an original '73 in 38 WCF. To single load as you describe, I slightly close the lever then push down the carrier with my thumb and slide a loaded cartridge into the chamber close the lever, aim and fire. No modifcations needed.

Hope this helps.

Go to the Members Only section on the SASS main page, log in and go to the shooting tips. Look for #11 reloading the '73. Long Hunter explains the minor modification to the top back of the carrier.

TB

I shoot a 66 (kinda the same)..

When last round is fired.. leave the lever open... I can lay the extra round for a reload on top of my carrier..

Push the carrier down slightly with ammo laying on top.. close the lever and it will feed the round into the chamber..

Aim and pull the trigger.. My carrier is not modified.. but I've heard you need a round short enough of course to lay there.

My problem is remembering to load on the top instead of thru the loading gate...muscle memory takes over ya know..

lots more time spent thru the gate.

Again.. as they say :blush: ... practice, practice, practice

Rance <_<

thinkin' yeah.. I need to practice that too!! :blush:

There is no Carrier Block modification needed. As posted, you can leave the lever partly open then push the Carrier Block down or snap the lever shut and partially open the lever, dropping the carrier block down and reload into the chamber. For most folks, remembering to do it right is slower than a reload thru the side gate.

Coffinmaker

There is no Carrier Block modification needed. As posted, you can leave the lever partly open then push the Carrier Block down or snap the lever shut and partially open the lever, dropping the carrier block down and reload into the chamber. For most folks, remembering to do it right is slower than a reload thru the side gate.

Coffinmaker

Is it quicker than the loading gate?

KK

Is it quicker than the loading gate?

KK

If practiced and practiced til it's in your muscle memory,, IMHO it is faster... You can do the reload on top the carrier without taking the rifle from the shoulder.. but I guess you can do the loading gate the same way..

but your lever is already open.. your carrier is already in the top position.. just place your ammo there.. and close the lever..

again.. practice, practice, practice.. makes it kinda perfect... :blush:

Rance <_<

Over the top can be faster, but I have been using the left hand grab bullet and load through the gate lately. Through the gate (for me) is much more positive and if you mess up the over the top it makes a 97 train wreck look mild!!

If you would like, you can ask Wolf Wind Walker how well the over the top worked for me at last years Senior Games :lol::lol:

I think he is using the tape as his entry for "America's Funniest Home Videos" :)

Regards

:FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

Howdy

That's the only way to do a reload on the clock with a Henry. I ain't about to fool around opening the front of the magazine and dropping a round down the tube, all the time trying to keep the gun pointed in a safe direction. I always just shove the carrier down and feed one directly into the chamber. No modification necessary.

OP asked about '66-'73: over the top is not nearly as fast as thru the gate. If the shooter supports the butt-stock under the right arm all that's needed is to turn the right hand which is still holding the grip/ lever closed. This takes the gun off the shoulder as the left hand reaches for a bullet.

Then the gate is pointed straight up and the left hand/ index finger pushes the reload thru the gate. Right hand rotates the gun back to the shoulder as the left hand moves to the forend. Right hand cocks the lever... BOOM!

It took way longer to write that than TBone/ Anvil Al/ Nuttin/ Cowhand can do it. And, as noted if you miss an into-the-top of the carrier load, it creates a train wreck of '97 proportions. This way even if you miss it or bobble/drop the bullet, you can just grab another and load it.

I followed Longhunters instructions..........All I can say is wow it is faster and easier than the loading gate method.....all it takes is a file and 10 minutes of yer time.........Bandit

If ya shoot a .45 Caliber '60, '66, or '73, there is a "secret" ideal round to have on yer belt strictly for reloads.

It looks like this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v54/adirondack_jack/004-3.jpg

C45S case loaded with a 268 grain long ogive .455 webley bullet.

With the lever open, (carrier is up), ya thumb one of them onto the carrier and shove forward/down in one motion. It will chamber, first time, every time, because the long tapered nose on the bullet CAN'T hang up, and no worries about OAL, as the loaded round is 1.4" and change.....

Archived