SASS Wire Forum

Pawn Stars

Grizzly Dave

OK, watched Pawn Stars tonight, supposedly a new episode, Rick buys an what is said to be an 1890s Colt. They clearly show the serial number, did anyone in the know see it and check it for a manufacturing date?

I like the show, but don't necessarily trust all of the info they give, nor their "experts"

In one of the shows Rick explains he only buys 100+ year old guns because they dont have an FFL at the shop. Have a feeling they have ready access to the same serial number listings as everyone else and would be willing to bet it was checked out that way.

One of our Nevada pards will have to give him some pointers on how to shoot that thing, not to mention explaining five beans in the wheel. He also had 15 seconds off his time for misses :rolleyes:

They used CAS ammo, but not BP. 1890's should've been BP loaded.....Buck :blush:

One of our Nevada pards will have to give him some pointers on how to shoot that thing, not to mention explaining five beans in the wheel. He also had 15 seconds off his time for misses :rolleyes:

They used CAS ammo, but not BP. 1890's should've been BP loaded.....Buck :blush:

that,s what I was thinking Four-Eye, he should have been using BP

Watching the show last night started a conversation between my husband and I about "old Colts" "new Colts" "Colt clones"

I am left wondering....

Do you know of any cowboy action shooters that shoot "old" Colts in matches?

I am guessing that there are some...not many but some.

Watching the show last night started a conversation between my husband and I about "old Colts" "new Colts" "Colt clones"

I am left wondering....

Do you know of any cowboy action shooters that shoot "old" Colts in matches?

I am guessing that there are some...not many but some.

I think I remember Driftwood Johnson saying he shoots original Colts.But he shoots BP.

There "gun expert" guy tends to annoy the living crud out of me. Not sure exactly why but I can't stand him standing there telling rick how the grips were obviously aftermarket because the original colt grips were wood.

and why the heck didn't they shoot black powder?

and why load 6?

and why couldn't he shoot worth a dang?

and why am I so freaking ornery today :lol: ?

Ya gotta look at his grip, plus, I'll bet that ammo was .452 not .454. :rolleyes::blink:

that "expert" deals more with older antiques, flinters, matchlocks, etc.. the Museum guy is my favorite out of all their "experts"...........Buck :blush:

They have fired antiques before with smokeless. I remember a Trapdoor they shot at the indoor range. The gun shop guy mentioned once about using a greatly reduced load for safety when they use smokeless.

It's a fun show - obviously I am not the only that tunes into it once in awhile....:lol:

GG ~ :FlagAm:

If there's a show that might possibly have an old gun, sword, injun blanket, or hat I'm watchin it.

Pawn Stars

American Pickers

Antiques Road Show

etc etc etc :lol:

I like watching Pawn Stars. It is like the PBS show "History Detectives" for people with ADD.

Right. Wait. What were we talking about?

Ohhh shiney!! :lol:

Them people are at best dangerous, Ricks shooting ability stinks, it was a 6 digit serial # I believe it started with 134 so it was made between 1890-1891..

Doc

it was 135454

If there's a show that might possibly have an old gun, sword, injun blanket, or hat I'm watchin it.

Pawn Stars

American Pickers

Antiques Road Show

etc etc etc :lol:

Sounds like a good western to me ;)

GG ~ :FlagAm:

I don't like that on Pawn Stars they shoot most of the old guns they take in. For example, why fire that 1890s Colt SAA? I'm sure it was fun, but it is an antique piece, not a legitimate shooter, IMHO. OTOH, the gun is his, and he can do with it what he wants. I wouldn't shoot all the SAAs, Civil War muskets, trapdoor Springfields, etc. that come in, if it was my store,

Granted what you see on the show is staged and cut, but the so called 'expert' didn't even open the loading gate before proclaiming it was safe to shoot.

it was 135454

And to me it did not look like a factory nickel plating job the shot that showed the 45 COLT on the barrel looked to me as if it had been buffed down as the letters were so worn looking sort of the look you can get when an older gun is polished to remove scratches and age pits before being reblued or plated... but without checking with Cody for the real shipping data I guess it could be hard to tell

I don't like that on Pawn Stars they shoot most of the old guns they take in. For example, why fire that 1890s Colt SAA? I'm sure it was fun, but it is an antique piece, not a legitimate shooter, IMHO. OTOH, the gun is his, and he can do with it what he wants. I wouldn't shoot all the SAAs, Civil War muskets, trapdoor Springfields, etc. that come in, if it was my store,

Ah but you know firearms. He doesn't.

Obviously. <_<

re: "Do you know of any cowboy action shooters that shoot "old" Colts in matches?"

I used to shoot a pair of 1890s era Gen 1 Colt 45 SAA in SASS over 10 years ago. It was the Holy Black only for them.

The gun didn't have a blackpowder frame.

It had a retaining screw to hold the base pin in not a push pin and I was always told that is how you tell the difference between a BP frame and smokeless so if I am wrong I am wrong, so now tell me why you say it is not a BP frame???

The gun didn't have a blackpowder frame.

With that serial # of 135454, it was a Black Powder Frame. Colt used the screw to hold the cyl base pin in. Smokeless frames started somewhere around 1896 with a cross-latch for the base pin. 1900 is a good year to really be sure for smoke-less, but Colt didn't put the VP(verified proof) in a triangle on the front edge of the trigger guard until 1904. Just sayin'

Big Jake

Archived