SASS Wire Forum

Big Iron

Trigger Mike

Great song, I grew up listening to that and Ballad of the Alamo from Gunfighter Ballads and Trail Songs, I think it was.

That is my favorite singer of all time. I have everything that he's done. Really knows how to sing anything. As far as Frankie Lane he's not a western or coutry singer.... He can't touch Marty in anyway. Marty also write alot of his songs.

The USDA, in its wisdom, is creating a new computerized reporting system for its Food Inspectors, and sending all of us to various locations for two week training sessions. I was sent to Burbank, California. On the Saturday between training sessions, I went to the Gene Autry Museum of the West. Never been there before. Got there two hours before it opened.

It was a lovely morning and while waiting for the museum to open I sat in the courtyard, listening to the cowboy music being played from the speakers on the roof of the cafe. Marty Robbins's album cycled through.

I was singing along with "Big Iron" when I saw another gentleman, seated about 40 feet away in another section of the courtyard. He was about my age (retirement eligible), and I saw that he was singing along with Marty, too!! "Twenty men have tried to take him..."

It was neat to see that I am not the only one.....

Archived