SASS Wire Forum

32 mag Baby Rugers

spittoon otool

I just picked up a brace of 32 mag Baby Ruger Birds Head Vaqueros; they're real cute but feel like they have a 50 pound hammer spring. Will the standard 17 pound vaquero spring work or do they take a special lenth? I've heard of guys cut off coils, how many would do the trick? TIA

Spittoon

They are the same springs.

A proper spring is sized by the dia. and the length of the spring. Ya just don't cut off coils if ya want it to work right. That is why Wolf sells different dia. but same length springs. The hammer slows down at the top of the stroke with a cut off spring but stays the same speed on a smaller Dia. one. Lots of miss fires can take place due to light hammer strikes. I cut down the Dia on my belt sander but keep the length the same.

Just my 3 cents worth.

Wyandot

If it's a brand spanking new gun, the only thing that you'd need to check is if it has the new Ruger Safety Block built into the mainspring assembly (thus shortening the overall length of the spring), before cracking out the Brownells catalog and ordering. It seems some models have this safety (some Vaquero's and such) and some do not (Bisleys and a few others). I can't seem to see rhyme nor reason to Rugers use of this safety. At first I thought they were fazing them in over time, but I've bought four different ages of "newer model" Bisley's and all of them do not have the safety so they all took the longer mainspring. Smithy.

If it's a brand spanking new gun, the only thing that you'd need to check is if it has the new Ruger Safety Block built into the mainspring assembly (thus shortening the overall length of the spring), before cracking out the Brownells catalog and ordering. It seems some models have this safety (some Vaquero's and such) and some do not (Bisleys and a few others). I can't seem to see rhyme nor reason to Rugers use of this safety. At first I thought they were fazing them in over time, but I've bought four different ages of "newer model" Bisley's and all of them do not have the safety so they all took the longer mainspring. Smithy.

The New model Bisleys use the same gripframe as the "old" model bisley so the strut and strut stirrup did not change. The .32 single sixes have been out of production for awhile now and will not have the clunky safety strut of the New Vaqueros. Both the birdsheads and plowhandles will take the aftermarket mainsprings that any original Vaquero will take. I have installed dozens in both the original Vaquero/Bisley and the single sixes. The New model Vaquero does indeed take a different length spring.

I just picked up a brace of 32 mag Baby Ruger Birds Head Vaqueros; they're real cute but feel like they have a 50 pound hammer spring. Will the standard 17 pound vaquero spring work or do they take a special lenth? I've heard of guys cut off coils, how many would do the trick? TIA

Spittoon

Imposter,Imposter, fake feller, somebudy must a got aholt of Spittoon O'tools identity.........I know cuz he woulnt shoot no girly guns............well would he????? Maybe now we knows why he gave up the GOURD. HeeeHeee!!!!!

Blood Washed

Archived