SASS Wire Forum

Frontier Cartridge Wild Bunch?

Cemetery

Ain't the first, and certainly not the last to run real black in a 1911.

This is what happens when you follow the dark path, you start running black in all your gunz. :D

How many stages can you run with-out cleaning ????

Up here WB calls for 15 or more likley 20 pistol per stage .... Plus 6 shotgun and 10 rifle ...

Jabez Cowboy

How many stages can you run with-out cleaning ????

Up here WB calls for 15 or more likley 20 pistol per stage .... Plus 6 shotgun and 10 rifle ...

Jabez Cowboy

This past fall we went to a tacticool zombie match, and both of us ran about 300 or so bp loads through our 1911's without a hitch.

It was a regular monthly match, where the club allows the Wild Bunch catagory, but it simply runs the same course of fire. Good for people, like me, who want to get practice with a 1911 without the boredom of punching paper.

Musta been some outlaw match. SASS rules forbid re-holstering before clearing.

Cool looking run tho.

Yep nice run B) We had a feller last month shoot FCWB. And yer right about the rules, no reholstering the 1911 unless it's the last firearm and it has been cleared by the RO, should be a table or prop to ground the gun on.

WB Shooter Handbook page 6

RANGE OPERATIONS

The 1911 must be restaged safely at the end of each shooting string with the slide locked open, unless the 1911 is the last firearm used. It may contain an empty magazine or no magazine when restaged. (Failure to comply, SDQ.

WB Shooter Handbook page 17

9. Safe for re-holstering. Slide closed and hammer down on an empty chamber with no magazine. Only after RO Inspection at firing line.

WB Match Director's Guide page 7

Remember you MUST provide a safe staging prop at EVERY location where the 1911 may be fired. Even if the sequence is not split and the pistol isn't required to be re-staged, a malfunction may occur and The pistol CANNOT be re-holstered until the stage is completed and it is checked clear by a stage official.

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

What's next, BP rounds in a Garand? :rolleyes:

I have the sneaky feeling that you've already tried this......LOL

What's next, BP rounds in a Garand? :rolleyes:

Done it in a SMLE.. :lol:

Couldn't help myself.

Done it in a SMLE.. :lol:

Couldn't help myself.

Tried the BP thing in the 30-30 and it's less than stellar.

Shootin' bottleneck rifle cartridges using BP that are MEANT for smokeless powder is a waste of fun :lol:

But hey, whatever floats the boat I reckon ;)

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Da SMLE was chambered in .303 British and loaded with Black ..... For at least 10 years..

Jabez Cowboy

Well, the Lee-Metford anyway. The Smellie didn't come around till '04 but the mechanics were basically the same.

And shooting BP in ANYTHING is fun for me. Maybe pointless, but fun. :lol:

Hey...whatever floats your boat UB. Your captain of your ship...

Oh..I did say shooting BP in bottleneck cartridges MEANT for smokeless powder...

But folks lately here on Wire don't read posts correctly....nothing new...

GG

The Garand takes a while to clean after shooting with black. However it doesn't get as gummed up as an AR. I have not tried it in the M1A, I'm thinkin I'll leave that one alone. Don't never ever try to run BP shot shells through a semi auto with those plastic collars in the gas tube though. Thems get expensive.

The Garand takes a while to clean after shooting with black. However it doesn't get as gummed up as an AR.

What's your experience with black in an AR? I was gonna load 15 rounds of .223 with Triple Seven as a test.

The gas tube got clogged pretty quick and it stoped functioning. I could work it manualy but it was getting pretty gritty so I quit. Where the tube goes into the bolt and the rest of the action was a mess. I used SPG on lead bullets so that may have been part of the issue. For powder I used Goex 3F and a brass rod to compress it as much as I could (PITB). Triple 7 would probably work better. Maybe a harder lube as well.

My resources show that the .303 Brit was initially loaded with Cordite, a cotton cord soaked in liquid nitorglyceren and allowed to dry, then cut to specific lengths. The loading required specific lengths, diameters of thread and number of pieces. I cannot imagine the thought-process in moving from BP of the 1880s to Cordite.

I believe that the .32 Winchester Special was offered in 1902 as a .30-30 replacement (in the Model 1894) that could be loaded with smokeless or BP. the neck geometry of the .30-30 was changed to better handle the BP.

I have not loaded BP in .45 ACP (yet), but I can report that BP in >45 Cowboy Special (same internal dimensions) is a hoot!

Archived