SASS Wire Forum

Backup guns?

Dantankerous

Not a back up for concealed carry, but a back up for the big CAS matches you're shooting.

Although I have never really worried about it, I have a couple big matches coming up and have been thinking of a backup for my Vaqueros. As it turns out, my little lady shootin' pardner uses a rifle and shotgun I could double on if needed (same gauge and rifle caliber), but she shoots smaller revolvers of a different caliber than what I shoot.

Although I hate to be loaded down with too many guns (I know, there ain't no such thing as too many guns :), at a match I would rather have one I do not need than need one I do not have.

Instead of carrying a bucket of spare parts, I figure a third gun is easiest.

How man of you take extra guns to a match (and maybe leave 'em in the vehicle unless needed)? Is your backup an identical piece to your main match guns or just one you could finish the match with?

Just curious...

Not as many as I would like.

I have my main match. Bisley pistols, 73, SxS.

Wifes main match. Blackhawks, Marlin, SxS

Her Marlin is my backup rifle. My 73 is not legal in her category. ( she just switched to BW)

So she would have to switch categorys if that Marlin goes down. As those are the only two SASS rifles we have.

Before she switched she could use my 73 for backup.

My Bisleys are her backup pistols. But her Blackhawks are not legal in my category. But I do have a set of

Ruger V's in .45 that I carry one in the cart with some .45 ammo in case I would need it to finish a match.

Shoot them in local monthlys sometimes.

Have two SxS. One SKB and one Baikal.

Got the SKB and the wife liked it. SO, now we share it and the Baikal is a backup.

I do carry it in the cart at big matches.

Sold the other Baikal when I got the SKB.

Looking at getting another SKB. As I get tired of sharing a SG.

So for pistols. We are good.

Need another SKB.

Would also love to get another good Marlin for the wife.

And another 73 for me.

I have backups of everything we shoot, have never used them in 6 years of shooting, I always say I'm not going to take the backups to a match, but that would be the time I would need one, so I haul them there

All for now JD Trampas

Dantankerous,

I have a backup for my 97. TTN double with exposed hammers.

Why not another 97? Because I didn't want to have to buy a 3rd 97 to backup the 2nd one. :wacko:

I would like to backup the rifle and have a spare OMV but it just isn't in the cards right now.

Waimea

:FlagAm:

Har! Yeah, I reckon. Since gettin' this addiction 15 years ago, that's all I do is "acquire" CAS guns. The only one I only have one back-up for is my pair of 87 lever shotguns. About a dozen pump shotguns, almost as many twice rows and rifles. Pistols too. I usually tote 4 2-rows, 3 rifles and 5 main match revolvers to a local match. Been cogitatin' on goin ahead and bringin a 97 for odd number of target stages and bird flangers. Cannot hit a flung bird with a double but I can with a 97. For a WB match I will tote 3 rifles, 3 97s, and 3 1911s.

Another reason to carry extras is we shoot at a guest ranch and lots of folks show up from England or Germany or wherever and of course they don't have guns with 'em. Some have never touched a gun before. But the grin they get after shootin' a stage lights up the world.

Guest diablo slim shootist

I have a few backups-

1873 Winchester -backup 1894 marlin

Stoger single trigger -backup IAC 1897 pump

Ruger montados-backup Ruger Bisleys

I have more but have retired a few: ;) probably

should sell some but just cant bring myself to

part with them :blush:

I have added a second set of guns this year. My 45s NMVs are my backups for my SASS NMVs in 38. My 92 in 45 serves as the backup for my 73 in 38 but the 92 is heading out for an adjustment this week, so next weekend I won't have a backup for my rifle. I have a Baikal, a Stoeger and a 97. Since the Baikal was tuned by Gunslinger it hasn't needed any work other than normal cleaning. My Stoeger and 97 are virtually new. The Stoeger is pretty slick, but I just prefer the Baikal. This coming weekend I am going to a two day so I will take my 45s and the Stoeger just in case. If the rifle breaks down I will just have to beg or borrow from a pard.

I take:

2 73 rifles

3 Vaqueros

2 97's

sometimes a SxS

I almost never need them, except to load to folks who do.

But at the Georgia State match, on one of the last couple stages I was showing a pard my 97 and how to slick his up a bit more. I had that particular 97 about 6 years or so and only replaced an ejector spring a time or two. Well, as he was cycling it, it jammed up. I was SOOO glad I let him try it as I'm pretty sure it would have happened on my next stage! So I gladly had a backup.

Ms. Mary Matilda has a backup sxs, her main match sxs is a Stoeger Coach Gun Supreme and here backup is a Stoeger long barrel sxs. No backups for her Marlin and Rugers.

I have a backup for my Richard Mason Open Top Conversion revolvers--Uberti Stallions. No backups for the my Marlin or Stoeger Coach gun.

...I almost never need them, except to loan to folks who do...

And in true cowboy spirit, this is another great reason to carry an extra gun or two with us! :D

I shoot the big ole Vaqueros and most likely a back up would not be needed, but I know the ole dadgum skunkpossum Mr. Murphy is lurking around somewheres nearer than I would care for him to be.

Thanks for the replies everyone! Good stuff here.

At one time I would bring a bunch of different pistols and rigs....mostly cause I didn't know what category I would be shootin and which caliber. I've since, finally settled on a set of pistols and while I have a main match rifle, I do bring a spare. For shotgun I bring my S x S just in case the 97 decides to puke.

KK

When I travel to a match (not by air), I bring backups for all my guns. When I used Italian pistols, I sometimes had to use the backups... now I use Rugers for percussion. I've had to use my backup '73, and I've twice had to go to my backup shotgun.

I also carried spare parts and have rebuilt a pistol between stages.

I have a couple big matches coming up and have been thinking of a backup for my Vaqueros

It's funny you should list those particular guns because I've been a lifelong believer, shooter, and collector of anything Ruger. In fact my first SASS guns were a pair of Ruger Old Armies with R&D cylinders to 45 LC. I later swapped over to Ruger Bisley Vaquero's and bought expensive leather, so sure I was in my idea that I had arrived at my final decision on what I was to be shooting in SASS. This was all before I had heard anything about transfer bar's breaking or pawl's breaking. I was appalled at the notion that my Ruger could go out of action. Then I shot a two day 8 stage run and the guns started locking up on me. Time to start thinking about back ups. I had already bought several transfer bars and pawls in case I had breakage, but with a gummed up gun I needed a whole new gun. I bought two. If one clogged up I figured the second one would be just about ready to with black powder so two was the answer. A bonus to this was if I did have a parts breakage I could first swap guns out and make the parts swap at my leisure on the swapped gun later at home.

Other than the pistols, I have an extra shotgun, but just one rifle as yet, a Rossi 1892. When funds allow I plan on buying a second Rossi 1892 for my rifle back up. By the way the shotguns are of different type; an 1887 and a SXS. Not sure if that gets me into more classifications having the different types but it might. I've only shot Frontier Cartridge as yet. Smithy.

Lady Zan and I usually have back up guns at a match. We shoot old and new vaqueros, 73 rifles and stoger and a baiki sxs. We usually have backups for all of them. I would rather work on them at home than during a match. Besides its handy to loan them to a new shooter that wants to try our game.

Your Vaqueros will not break....BUT you definately need another one...or two...or maybe some Ruger Bisleys...or Blackhawks. If yours are not the SASS Vaqueros, you absolutely need some. Additionally, never pass the opportunity to buy a pretty gun. :D

Now seriously: Unless you're a super-shooter who has customized guns that are unique enough that using a pard's gun would mess you up, you probably don't need backups. If you have decent guns (Vaqueros are more than decent), you're unlikely to have a problem and if you do, you could use someone else's gun. Example: If you're using a standard Vaquero, odds are there is someone at the match that would let you use one to get you through a match. If you have a short stroked Vaquero, the odds that someone will have a gun like it is lessened. I have lots of cowboy guns that, I guess, could be called backups, but they stay at home. I've had my shotgun lay down on me and once even my 73, but never my Vaqueros.

If I were you, I'd buy more guns for the best reason there is...just because. :D

Rifle: Marlin .38

backup: Marlin .38 (both Widderized)

Pistols: Ruger Vaq Sheriff model .38

backup: Ruger Vaq Sheriff model .45 Colt (using C45S)

Shotgun: 97

backup: 3 more 97's

For practice, I have a designated 97 I only use for practice.

At big matches, I have a designated 97 I only shoot for side matches. I won't use my main match 97 for side match shootin.

I even have a 5th 97 that I use solely for dry fire practice.

Plus, I don't use my main match Widdermatics for practice. I have a 3rd Widdermatic that I use for practice.

..........Widder

I have plenty of guns. If I wanted too, I could have enough for me and 4 friends, and none of us would have to share.

2 97's (1 short bbl, 1 long bbl) 1 Parker, 1 Fox Sterlingworth, 1 WW Greener.

I normally use the short 97.

3 Colts, 1 Colt Clone, 1 Scofield repro, 2 58 Remmington Repro w/Krists, 1 Nagant.

Henry, 73, 3 92'a and a Lightning.

I have never carried a backup to any match.

Never seen the need.

Rifle: Marlin Cowboy Limited in 38/357

Backup: Marlin Cowboy Limited in 45 LC

Pistols: 2 Ruger NM SASS Vaqueros in 38/357

Backup: 1 Ruger NM Vaquero in 38/357

Shotguns: Stoeger Coach Gun Supreme 20 in. 12 ga. Single Trigger

Backup: Stoeger Uplander Coach Gun 20 in. 12 ga. Double Trigger

Never had a failure in any main match gun, but backups are there.

RBK

I have seen plenty of Vaqueros break, nothing magical about them, we run our guns hard in this sport.

I have backup guns but often don't take them to a match, when you think about it if your gun breaks you are pretty much screwed anyway, you could easily borrow a friends for the rest of the match. For multiple day matches I usually drag them along.

Doc

I have backups for all my main match guns.

Rifles: 2 Cimarron 73's both exactly the same with short strokes from Evil Roy.

Pistols: 3 Ruger NMV's SS from LongHunter with SBH hammers and action jobs.

Shotguns: 2 SKB's from Johnny Meadows...again exactly the same.

Never had to use a backup in 7 years.

But, better safe than sorry. Always take thyem all to any big match I shoot. :blush:

I've got backups for my backups for my backups and a couple sets of backups for each of those sets of backups. I've had to swap out exactly ONE rifle and ONE revolver in the decade or more that I've been playing this game.

Guest EL NEGRO GATO #8178

Howdy, I shoot working cowboy, one pistol and one rifle, but I carry an extra pistol in my shooting cart and an extra rifle in the truck just in case. Sometimes the same caliper and sometimes different one. Do what you feel comfortable with.

ENG :FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

If you're gonna have backups, IMO, in order of most important (read as most likely to break)

(1) Shotgun

(2) Rifle

(3) Pistols

Can I get an amen?

Yes, even a Vaquero can break, but I've been shooting 'em for over six years, three to four matches per month with a bunch of two day matches thrown in and dry firing on top of that. While maybe not magical, I'd pit them against any pistol for reliablity. If you're serious about buying backup guns, buy them in the order above.

Of the people I know who carry backup guns to matches, most carry a shotgun. A few also carry a rifle and even fewer carry pistols...but any of them could break. Essentially, if a shooter is good enough that changing from one 73 (for example) tuned by one gunsmith to another 73 tuned by another gunsmith would mess with their "rhythm" and it's important enough to them, they should carry a backup 73, especially if they're unable to find another 73 to match the first one at the match.

Right now, I shoot a Cody Conagher 73. If mine were to break, there's a good chance I could find someone to let me shoot their Cody gun. But, personally, I could shoot a 73 tuned by a number of other gunsmiths without a problem, but if I shot a Henry, it might be a whole different situation.

Regardless of the "real" stuff, if anyone can afford to buy more guns, they should....because...just because. :D

When I take da truck and camper to a big shoot ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I take extra guns ...

Last year I shoot the 4 stage "Warm-up Match" with a different rifle for each stage ,,,,,66, 94, 92 & Win.94 (Trails-end)all in .45 ...

I mostly shoot a Hammered 12 ,,,, but bring along a S X S in 16 ,,, because I like it ...

I offten bring 4 or 5 pistols ,,,,, sometimes I bring a 51 or 58 0r 61/62 to add to the mix.....

Guns are fun ,,,, More guns is more Fun !!!

My 66 broke a laddle at a big shoot once ,,,, shot the remaining stages with my 94 ...

Jabez Cowboy

When I take da truck and camper to a big shoot ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I take extra guns ...

Last year I shoot the 4 stage "Warm-up Match" with a different rifle for each stage ,,,,,66, 94, 92 & Win.94 (Trails-end)all in .45 ...

I mostly shoot a Hammered 12 ,,,, but bring along a S X S in 16 ,,, because I like it ...

I offten bring 4 or 5 pistols ,,,,, sometimes I bring a 51 or 58 0r 61/62 to add to the mix.....

Guns are fun ,,,, More guns is more Fun !!!

My 66 broke a laddle at a big shoot once ,,,, shot the remaining stages with my 94 ...

Jabez Cowboy

That sounds like an incredible hoot! To be able to shoot all those different weapons in one shoot would be a blast. Smithy.

I haven't had a rifle or shotgun break at a match (knock on wood).

I've had pistols fail on the first stage of a big match though. For C&B shooting I use Uberti 1851s and carry a Uberti 1862 Police in the guncart as a backup for when the hand springs break. So far that has only happened twice. When I shoot smokeless I have my Cattlemans and I have my USFA Cowboy as a backup. I don't really care about having perfectly matched sets of main and backup guns, I just want to get through the match.

At the Japanees nuke plant they had 3 levels of protection and all three of them failed..what are the odds. At the Ides of March this year my ;66 failed me, my back up Marlin failed me and the Marlin I borrowed for the last 2 stages failed the owner when she went to shoot. There is no such thing as too many backups.

Did not take a back up to the Goldcoast annual and my '66 (the other one I own) had its loading gate tab break off. Borrowned a gun and it screwed up for me an its owner. Had to finish with the second borrowed rifle.

This two incidents are rare...but when it goes south it heads heads for dixie really fast. WW

I've got a bunch of backup guns, depending on how many people are in the posse that I'm shooting in :).

Actually, this is something that my wife and I have discussed. We currently each have a pair of pistols, but we share a '73 and a Stoeger. We probably need to pick up another rifle and shotgun so we don't have to share anymore and we will both have backups.

For big matches I bring a back up pistol, rifle and shotgun cause ya just never know. For monthly matches I usually drag a back up pistol when I remember. :wacko: Rye

Archived