SASS Wire Forum

Scofield problem

Stumpy Ryan

I have a a pair of Schofields in .45 Colt. I bought both of them used and both are giving me the same kind of problem. I shoot them rarely but would like to start using them. It appears that the bolt is not dropping consistently and consequently the cylinder is not indexing properly or sometimes not at all. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Stumpy

I'd be interested in hearing the solution to this problem my ownself.

I have a pair of Beretta Laramies in .38 and I've run into the same thing on occasion.

They're fun to shoot, but I don't know that I trust them for a real shoot.

Happy Trails, Coyote Kid

Really hard to tell from such a vague description. Are you saying the bolt is failing to "drop" so the cylinder can rotate or are you really saying it is failing to rise in the proper place and is not dropping into the cylinder notch? One thing to remember with these guns. The bolt operates off the trigger as opposed to operating off the hammer like a Colt or a Ruger. First thing to try is to cock it and make 100% sure your finger is not dragging on the trigger. If you do this and it is still not working, post again with a better description of what it is or is not doing.

Really hard to tell from such a vague description. Are you saying the bolt is failing to "drop" so the cylinder can rotate or are you really saying it is failing to rise in the proper place and is not dropping into the cylinder notch? One thing to remember with these guns. The bolt operates off the trigger as opposed to operating off the hammer like a Colt or a Ruger. First thing to try is to cock it and make 100% sure your finger is not dragging on the trigger. If you do this and it is still not working, post again with a better description of what it is or is not doing.

Larsen,

It looks like the bolt is failing to drop far enough to allow the cylinder to rotate. I have cocked it with my finger totally out of the trigger guard and it still does the same thing.

Thanks,

Stumpy

There is a reeeal tiny c-spring with an even tinier fish hook on the bottom that might bare checking. Kinda hard to spot, as it rides in a recess high up next to the hand, pawl or whatever it is called. These little boogers are really fragile, specially the fish hook end. Not sure, just saying???

Thanks Pards for all the suggestions. I tried 'em all but nothing seemed to work. Looks like a trip to the smith is in their future. Anybody know of any good Schofields smiths in case my local ones don't work out?

Stumpy

Hey Stumpy,

I just got one of my Schofield's back from Tom at Taylors. I was having a cylinder not turn everytime, but not on any certain chamber. I sent it to a smith in NC who wanted half the price of the gun to make various adjustments. I talked to Tom and he said send it to him. He fixed the problem, without using the extra hand and hand spring I sent him, then thoroughly went through the gun and cleaned up a few things. I had it back in a week. Works Great! A real good guy to talk to.

Whiskey

Stumpy only problem's i've had was hitting cly latch when cocking the scofield . And just recently didn't want to drop the hammer on cylnder shot 4 rds and then it wouldn't fire the 5 th rd so i took the miss went to cart pulled out the extra scofield and kept on shooting. I contacted a gun smith he found the problem part took care of it and it has worked fine ever since.As he told me and showed me were the problem was their is a small metal block above trigger that caused the problem. Hope that help's you. Brisco Big'n

Archived