SASS Wire Forum

2011 GA State Match

River Bend has been my home club ever since I started CAS back in February 2002. The Rough Riders had been in existence for only a few months at that time. They were the brainchild of a few people with a big dream, a dream of one day creating a cowboy club that would be the envy of all around. People like Knife n Foot (God rest his soul), Georgia Cracker, Georgia Slick, Hardbark Harry, Paiute Pathfinder, Sawnee Sam, and others whose names escape me...these individuals started with almost nothing, but managed to build up the Rough Riders to what it is today. They did this while having to initially deal with people who were not too receptive to "a bunch of rednecks playing cowboy on our range." We now have berms that are designated solely for CAS, and our own clubhouse. Not too shabby if you ask me. Their hard work and dedication to our game culminated in our hosting the 2011 GA State Championships.

And what a match it was! The theme was most appropriate (how can you beat Clint Eastwood?), the states were well written and well structured, and I'm sure everyone had a great time. A couple of the stage sequences made you think, but all in all, they were not difficult at all.

So allow me to thank all the people volved:

A BIG thank you to Witch Doctor, Judge Em All Duncan, Fast Eddie, Done Gone, Pig Iron Lane, and Blarney Shooter for putting all of this together. Y'all pat yourselves on the back, ya done GREAT!

Thank you to all of the vendors and sponsors. This was not possible without your support, and it is much appreciated.

Thank you to Jake Dunson, JB Gunnison, Georgia Slick, Rufus Cogburn, and all the other cowboys who gave of their time during the past week to work the match.

Thank you to Doc Griffin, Lincoln Hawk and Talon MacLeod for the Friday night dinner at the range. Also to the Forsyth County Parks and Recreation people for the use of their new banquet facility for the Saturday night banquet and awards ceremony.

My apologies to anyone whose names I have omitted. You know who you are, and your hard work really paid off.

And a big CONGRATULATIONS to all the category winners, especially to our 2011 Georgia Overall State Champions, the husband and wife team of Ozark Azz and Maggie Darlin.

If there are any regrets to be had, it is that Knife n Foot did not live long enough to see this all come to pass. He would have been proud.

It was a great match...my first state match and I had about as much fun as I've had in a long time. I'm fairly new to this cowboy shootin stuff but that didn't matter to anyone on our posse (Yeah Posse 9 and Hoss Blocker). Everyone on our posse and everyone else at the match was as nice and a friendlier bunch of folk you'll never meet.

I just wanted to second what Mean Mat said, we are a very fortunate bunch to have a group of dedicated leaders and sponsors and workers that made all of this come together. Thank each of you so very much for all of the great work and major amounts of time all ya'll put into this state match.

A fantastic shoot, fast, fun with some movement but not too much. RBRR should be proud you done a great job.

It was also one of the nicest facilities I have been to. If you missed this one, you had better get in early next year. It will fill up fast.

You never really know how things will go when you move a really good match from one club to another – even though you know most of the folks that will be running. It is such a big task to run a larger match and run it effectively. So many small (and even large) details that can make such a difference.

Well, Witch Doctor, Pig Iron Lane, Judge’em all Duncan and their team did themselves proud!

As mentioned, the facility is top notch. And the weather was PERFECT!

Good stage design. Nearly all pistol targets were big and close. Rifle targets were generally close and a good size, but not quite as large as some have been using, but very “hit-able” at a good speed.

When I first saw the stages, I thought a couple may may give some folks some problems, but with about 40 clean shooters out of just under 200, well, that says a lot! SO I was concerned for nothing.

The match ran ON TIME!!! :D :D

A good banquet, they fed us quickly, had prizes for every shooter plus some great prizes such as a couple of new 73 rifles, a full holster rig! They had a good presentation of awards.

Of course, a GREAT group of shooters came so that really topped things off! It was SO good to see many shooters from several states. We got to visit with so many pards from several years ago as well as some fun new pards!

Lots of categories including some tested such as Outlaw, Double Duelist (men’s & ladies)!

So overall a VERY WELL run match I can HIGHLY recommend it!.

Congratulations to all the winners, including Sidekick and Dang It’s Darlin for overall, Ozark Azz and Maggie Darlin for and becoming the Georgia State Top Champions!!!

And it was a hotly-contested win for Ozark. And Maggie was a miss away from beating her friend, Danit's Darlin

Here is the direct link to the scores page. GA STATE MATCH SCORES

You never really know how things will go when you move a really good match from one club to another – even though you know most of the folks that will be running. It is such a big task to run a larger match and run it effectively. So many small (and even large) details that can make such a difference.

Well, Witch Doctor, Pig Iron Lane, Judge’em all Duncan and their team did themselves proud!

As mentioned, the facility is top notch. And the weather was PERFECT!

Good stage design. Nearly all pistol targets were big and close. Rifle targets were generally close and a good size, but not quite as large as some have been using, but very “hit-able” at a good speed.

When I first saw the stages, I thought a couple may may give some folks some problems, but with about 40 clean shooters out of just under 200, well, that says a lot! SO I was concerned for nothing.

The match ran ON TIME!!! :D :D

A good banquet, they fed us quickly, had prizes for every shooter plus some great prizes such as a couple of new 73 rifles, a full holster rig! They had a good presentation of awards.

Of course, a GREAT group of shooters came so that really topped things off! It was SO good to see many shooters from several states. We got to visit with so many pards from several years ago as well as some fun new pards!

Lots of categories including some tested such as Outlaw, Double Duelist (men’s & ladies)!

So overall a VERY WELL run match I can HIGHLY recommend it!.

Congratulations to all the winners, including Sidekick and Dang It’s Darlin for overall, Ozark Azz and Maggie Darlin for and becoming the Georgia State Top Champions!!!

And it was a hotly-contested win for Ozark. And Maggie was a miss away from beating her friend, Danit's Darlin

Here is the direct link to the scores page. GA STATE MATCH SCORES

A BIG Congratulations to The River Bend Rough Riders, Witch Doctor, PigIron Lane, Judge 'm All Duncan, Fast Eddie and EVERYONE involved in the 2011 Georgia State SASS Championship for a HIGHLY Successful match.

Contrats also go out to the winners and to our Georgia State Champs, Ozark Azz and Maggie Darlin !!

'Nooga Kid

Thanks everyone who came to shoot with us. I booked the banquet hall back when I thought we were being optimistic expecting about 120 shooters. I announced that it would be standing room only and it wasn't quite that bad, but it sure wasn't easy to walk around 28 tables full of folks. Next year, I will plan on a bigger space. I just talked to my very good friend, Shifty Eye (the new Georgia Double Duelist champion). Shifty hasn't been feeling well and it was wonderful to see him shoot his way to a belt buckle. Ya'll come again next year. We're going to Round Up again the first weekend of May, 2012....Witch Doctor

I just heard this evening from a source who was in touch with a match person that someone at that match shot himself in the leg.

Is he OK? And, Is that true?

If so, what were the circumstances, and how can it be avoided in the future. Enquiring CAS minds, I think, need to know.

We would all appreciate more information. It may lead to some procedure that will insure the safety to all of us.

Chicken Coop

What a great shooting match! The range is well set up and quite scenic to us Florida folks. The match ran smoothly and on-time. I liked the mix of shooters from different areas on our posse. I got to shoot with some of my regular pards and make new friends at this match. Witch Doctor,

Fast Eddie, Judge 'Em All Duncan, Jake Dunson, JB Gunnison, and Pig Iron all made me and the other Florida folks feel very welcome. I look forward to being back at River Bend next year!

Congratulations to Sidekick and Dang It's Darlin'.

I just heard this evening from a source who was in touch with a match person that someone at that match shot himself in the leg.

Is he OK? And, Is that true?

If so, what were the circumstances, and how can it be avoided in the future. Enquiring CAS minds, I think, need to know.

We would all appreciate more information. It may lead to some procedure that will insure the safety to all of us.

Chicken Coop

Yes Coop, it is true that we had a shooter get hurt. He is a fairly new shooter but a sound and usually calm, intelligent shooter. I have shot with him several times and expect to again in the near future. The situation was moving to the rifle for a ten shot series. There is a table in front of the shooter to ground the rifle. Our shooter shot 8 from the rifle and put it on the table. His RO was a 5 time world champion, so he had one of the most experienced ROs at the match. When the rifle went down, the posse was yelling at him that there were two in the rifle. The shooter had already drawn his cross draw. He started to put it on the table (which would have worked out much better) but then took it back to leather. At the last anyone could see of it, it was not cocked. The way he had his body positioned, no one could see the gun itself after he picked it back up and pulled it in toward the holster. What happened next would indicate that he might have pulled the hammer back as he let the pistol go into the holster. He finished his rifle string, and went to draw the cross draw pistol again. It went off and the bullet ran down the last two inches of his holster and made an in and out wound about 4 inches apart on the left side of his leg. Our crew at River Bend did a good job of getting him trained first aid (which he tried to refuse - I'm fine) until the EMTs were there. They had been positioned close to the range for the weekend, and they arrived in a matter of a couple of minutes. Believe me, we have tried to look at this situation from every angle to think about what we could have done differently from a club safety perspective, and I can't think of anything yet that we could have done to prevent this. I can't think of any safe position a RO could have been in (especially considering the directional flow of the scenario) to have been able to see his gun at that last second up against the shooter's body. As usual, our safety briefing included the “doing the dance” bit, and the shooter did that part perfectly. In doing so, he prevented anyone else from being hurt. I am glad to report that he came to the awards banquet on Saturday night. I appreciate the reason you are asking this question, but I don’t really have any answer about what is to be learned. You know that cowboys can be counted on to give you their opinion - requested or not. It was a state match with nearly 200 shooters and I never once heard “why didn’t you do it this way instead of that way” so I guess no one else could think of anyway this could have been avoided either, except by better shooter awareness of his own equipment. As you can imagine, I had long talks with the our own Gun Club chief safety officer and with Col. Dan, who was there (but not a witness). This sport has painful consequences if we lose our focus and our posse can’t always protect us from ourselves. Our shooter will be back because he is one of those guys that you can see loves the sport. He now has a better “first big match” story than any of us want to top. Witch Doctor

Thanks for the detailed explanation WD......from my perspective the club was "spot on" as far as following and enforcing the safety rules! Safe gun handling is always the shooters responsibility.

Back to the original Topic......GREAT MATCH!!!!!!!

You would have never known it was a first time performance. We couldn't have asked for better weather and for a flat lander like me the scenery was BEAUTIFUL! Definitely a "Put this one on the calendar" match.

I really enjoyed getting to see all my pards from all over the southeast and beyond. Congratulations to Ozark Azz and Maggie Darlin for their GA State Championship wins and to Sidekick and Dang Its Darlin for their Top Overall wins. All ya'll shot a great match.

Stan wink.gif

This was a bitter sweet match for me. I had a great time but I shot like Ray Charles AND my wife won high overall for the Ladies which makes for a long ride home. I can't remember a time in recent memory when I had a better time just hanging around. Just the overall attitude of the people was wonderful. I think these folks are on the right track and I hope they continue to put on this match.

To all who worked so we could play, I say "Thank You Very Much".

Dang It Dan

To complete the story on the shooter who injured himself, he was at the banquet with his wife and in good spirits. He did order a set of strong side holsters to replace his cross draw set-up. I would like to encourage all new shooters to stay away from cross draw until they have more experience. It is just one more thing to remember to do when there are already more than enough things to keep your mind ocupied. I have shot with Bill several times in the past, he was on our possee and will continue to shoot with him in the future. He is a great cowboy.

McKenzie

Just another cowboy who had a GREAT time at the 'Round-up at River Bend'! It was my first 'big match' too, and it was everything I had hoped for and more. My hat's off to the good cowboys (and cowgirls) of the River Bend Rough Riders who gave of themselves and worked so hard so we could all enjoy a great match!!

Hi-Yo and Awaaaaaayy,

TMM

Archived