SASS Wire Forum

Did you say you want to try your hand at reloading?

And the is also only $154 :P

My primary point is that NEW reloaders need to understand the INDIVIDUAL STEPS of reloading PRIOR to going to a progressive press.

The Lee Anniversary kit allows NEW reloaders THAT opportunity to learn the basics.

My recommendation is for the single stage press FIRST!

And the Lee Anniversary kit includes many of the incidental components for the new reloader.

The Turret kits is also a very good deal. It's the one I bought 10 years ago.

Still going strong.

Turret Kit

Guest diablo slim shootist

I love my Lee turret-and its not rocket science to make it work ^_^

My first reloading was several years spent on a circa 70's Lyman turret press (when they were red). Did that growing up (sorta), mostly rifle loads and some pistol later on. When I started cowboy I needed a bit more speed and went with the Pro-1000. Wouldn't wish that on my enemies, but that's a different story. Understanding each step did help me figure out the problems I was having, so I'm with Bill on this, learn each step on a single stage first, and it will pay off later on when you actually understand what is going on each time you pull the handle.

I agree totally with BHB. I've been using a Lee single stage and Lee dies for 30+ years, and swear by them. IMHO, the Lee single stage kit is the best quality starter kit at the lowest price of any available, and the one I always recommend to new reloaders. This pricing direct from Lee includes the newest Breech Lock version of the press, and is the best price I've seen for the complete kit. All you need is dies, and I don't think you can beat the Lee deluxe 4/pc pistol die set.

Just my $.02 on all this,

Kid Latham

The Lee Single Stage Anniversay Kit was my first reloader I purchased -- about 8,000 rounds ago. :rolleyes:

I agree that the new reloader can learn a lot about the reloading process by using the single stage press. You get lots of opportunity to do quality control on your rounds as well. Out of those 8k rounds, I've had ONE high primer (which I still kick myself as I should have caught it) and NO failure to fires. I put a lot of pride in the quality and consistency of my loaded ammo -- for CAS or my Non-CAS loads.

And....although I can load 100 rounds on my single stage Lee in roughly 45 minutes, I've had my eye on the turrent press. According to reports, I can double my throughput without sacrificing the quality control checks that I've come to rely upon. I'm currently loading for two shooters and I keep up, but my youngest kiddo shot his first match last weekend -- thankfully he's shooting .22, but when he graduates to a re-loadable round, I know I'll need more throughput to keep up.

I'm not knocking the progressive presses. They're just not for me, however. The last thing I want to see happen is one of my kiddos injured because I mis-loaded a round.

That's just me though.

Chick

I always recommend the Turret press as a starter press. Everything is done single stage method. Once the dies are set up, you are done. Nothing changes from one session to the next. All is right where you left them. Ready to go.

I have loaded on Lee single-stage and hand-press equipment since 1986, including six years of IPSC, five years of cowboy and six years of high-power rifle matches. No squibs. No duds. I spoon all of my powder. I load 13 different cartridges with 24 different loads. Average production is 110 rounds per hour in straight-wall cases, 70 rounds per hours in the WCF stuff.

I enjoy loading as much as I enjoy shooting. Much of that is due to the sureness and simplicity of the process. With computers running my phone, my car, my watch and my TV, it is great to enjoy such a simple task. Knowing that many will disagree with me, I will never know why anyone would wnat or need to speed up this process.

I would suggest to any new loader to start with a complete single-stage press.

Been thinking about reloading for a while, but cost keeps me buyin off the shelf....I have watched a few videos of the pro1000, and at pretty much the same price (since one three die set is included) am I really missing anything by skipping the single stage press? I won't be doing any larger rifle rounds for now. This press is real tempting.

Get AND READ several loading manuels !!!

Then don't load while distracted !!!

Then take the Time to learn the basics !!!

Then pratice creating safe loads using proven loads from the loading manuels !!!

Never Go below book miniums !!!

Have Fun !!!

Jabez Cowboy

I have loaded on Lee single-stage and hand-press equipment since 1986, including six years of IPSC, five years of cowboy and six years of high-power rifle matches. No squibs. No duds. I spoon all of my powder. I load 13 different cartridges with 24 different loads. Average production is 110 rounds per hour in straight-wall cases, 70 rounds per hours in the WCF stuff.

I enjoy loading as much as I enjoy shooting. Much of that is due to the sureness and simplicity of the process. With computers running my phone, my car, my watch and my TV, it is great to enjoy such a simple task. Knowing that many will disagree with me, I will never know why anyone would wnat or need to speed up this process.

I would suggest to any new loader to start with a complete single-stage press.

While I understand your satisfaction with the process, that rate of loading may not suffice for some who do not cherish the time in the loading room as you do.

10,000 rounds plus per year (not a lot by some standards), work, yard, family, shooting and gun maintenance kind of fill the hours quickly. I agree with the premise that new reloaders should start with and keep a single stage press or two around. But for cranking out thousands of rds in a short time, you can't beat a progressive. I have (and use) 3 single stage presses, a 550 and a 650 with all the bells and whistles. Wife and I would not be able to shoot nearly as much without the progressives.

CR

Get AND READ several loading manuels !!!

Novice and Experienced alike - Heed the words of Jabez!

The best reference manual on the market now is the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook, Version 4 ... Best Price ... http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/20465

Been thinking about reloading for a while, but cost keeps me buyin off the shelf....I have watched a few videos of the pro1000, and at pretty much the same price (since one three die set is included) am I really missing anything by skipping the single stage press? I won't be doing any larger rifle rounds for now. This press is real tempting.

Everything I read said to stay away from the Pro 1000 and go for the Load Master instead. I first bought an Anniversary Kit and then for Christmas bought myself the Load Master which I'm very happy with. There is a web site with FAQ's, Tips and tricks, called Load Master Videos. I'd buy mine again.

Willy

Depending on how much you shoot, I'd recommend the Lee Classic Turret. It is a four-hole turret press with auto-indexing. It isn't as quick as a progressive, but it allows you to keep an eye on every step while still being pretty quick (about 100 rouns per hour). It is also a big enough press to handle rifle rounds if you ever decide to reload them. I reload for both my wife and I, and we shoot about two matches per month. I'm considering a progressive press to keep up, but the Lee Classic turret has served me well for a number of years now.

Depending on how much you shoot, I'd recommend the Lee Classic Turret. It is a four-hole turret press with auto-indexing. It isn't as quick as a progressive, but it allows you to keep an eye on every step while still being pretty quick (about 100 rouns per hour). It is also a big enough press to handle rifle rounds if you ever decide to reload them. I reload for both my wife and I, and we shoot about two matches per month. I'm considering a progressive press to keep up, but the Lee Classic turret has served me well for a number of years now.

I agree, IMHO the best low cost starter set up is the Lee Classic Turret, can be used as a single stage or turret. The heads are very inexpensive making caliber change a snap. The Lee web site has a video of each step to help get things set up right. Kempf's Gun Shop (or Cabelas-Midway) has everything thing you need to get started, press, dies, Hornady One Shot case lube, tumbler kit, scales, reloading manuals, funnel, etc....If you do decide to go with the Lee make sure to include the Pro Auto Disk "upgrade", well worth it. You're gonna save a ton of money reloading yer own. Give Kempf a call, they can walk you through it. Good Luck :)

Lee Classic Turret Kit

Tumbler Combo

Modern Reloading

Extra Turret

Hornady One Shot

Scale

Lyman 49th

Double Disk kit, Elec Scale, Funnel..etc

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

:FlagAm: Just started reloading with the anniversary Lee press this year as my commercial reloading source blew up. I bought extra quick change bushings on ebay for all my dies. Once you set them it is a quarter turn to remove and replace them. Settings all stay set. Only immediate change I made was to get a basic digital scale as the balance arm in the kit is hard to change settings and takes time to settle each time you run a new sample. The digital shows charge to the tenth of a grain.

I purchased my Lee Anniversary Kit in 1998. I still use it to this day to reload all my CAS cartridges and other non-CAS pistol/revolver cartridges. I have processed over 140,000 reloaded cartridges thru it since I bought it. Had to replace a couple of aluminum lever connectors over the years, but that's it. KISS - Keep it simple sir. I will never have a progressive reloading machine.

Chicken Coop

I purchased my Lee Anniversary Kit in 1998. I still use it to this day to reload all my CAS cartridges and other non-CAS pistol/revolver cartridges. I have processed over 140,000 reloaded cartridges thru it since I bought it. Had to replace a couple of aluminum lever connectors over the years, but that's it. KISS - Keep it simple sir. I will never have a progressive reloading machine.

Chicken Coop

I don't blame ye and that smokless powder is a passin fad! :)

RRR

I started loading in 1961 with a NUT CRACKER for .38 SPL. I stepped up to a single stage press and used that for years for all of my reloading. Then I discovered DILLON :FlagAm:http://www.dillonprecision.com/ :FlagAm::blush:

I have NOT looked back. For the money, it's the best buy on the planet.... and I never exaggerate :lol:

The SQUARE DEAL is simple, effective and time saving. I loaded .45 on one for years and still have it set up for .45. We also own a 650 and a 1050. Each is set up for different calibers. The .38 spl is the most used as my wife and I both shoot .38. I can load a thousand rounds pretty quick with the 1050... but the Sqaure Deal will suffice for most shooters IMHO. The 650 is a step up no doubt and has the abality as does the 1050, to change heads for different calibers.

Cleaning 8 guns and storing gear and maintaining it is time consuming as it is, reloading with the 1050 give me time to do other things. NO, I won't sell the 650 OR the Square Deal... but I do keep a Rock-chucker for rifle cartridges and 'precesion' munitions. GO BLUE.... I only wish they had been around when I first started reloading 50 years ago. B)

<_< I never reloaded before in my life ,started with & still using Dillion 650,dont understand "advice"start with this ,then move up to that,if you want to or when setting up a progressive press such as a Dillion 650 you can make one bullet at a time to see process or set dies,whatever .Dont really understand the big deal its not that big of a process that some folks make it out to be.

A bunch of people say get a Lyman Reloading Manual ,I was lucky to borrow one to realize I did not need it.

If you have internet all the powder info is available thru manufacture.

The one thing I suggest to folks is get a chronograph or a friend that has one,so you know what loads are doing.

AO

<_< I never reloaded before in my life ,started with & still using Dillion 650,dont understand "advice"start with this ,then move up to that,if you want to or when setting up a progressive press such as a Dillion 650 you can make one bullet at a time to see process or set dies,whatever .Dont really understand the big deal its not that big of a process that some folks make it out to be.

A bunch of people say get a Lyman Reloading Manual ,I was lucky to borrow one to realize I did not need it.

The one thing I suggest to folks is get a chronograph or a friend that has one,so you know what loads are doing.

AO

Makes sense to me :)

AO

Same here started on a progressive press and never looked back.

Archived