SASS Wire Forum

Big bore questions 45-60

evil dogooder

My uncle heard I was joining sass and went digging through his many gun safes and came up with one he says I can use it if I want. Can we use it in cas? Its a replica like the one used in crossfire trail. He has an original one but I was told most definitely that his winchester was staying in his safe but I could have the replica.

45-60 is on of the calibers for the Winchester Model of 1876. I can be used in SASS for the long range lever action rifle side match only - not as a main match rifle. That said, if you uncle wants to give you a Winchester 1876, then you have a wonderfully generous uncle! :)

Dang my search for main match rifle continues. I know there are a lot out there but I'm kinda at the shallow end of the financial pool.

Maybe ill jst have to shoot matches josey wales. I have the shotguns and enough revolvers. Lol

I once had an original Sharps 50-70. Metal butplate. A few rounds out of it and you know it. Fun though.

There are number of clubs that are now shooting Cody Dixon as a category in the SASS matches. You shoot 6 rounds at targets that are usually much further out than the normal rifle targets. You also use the standard 2 pistols and shotgun. Many of the clubs in Texas are now doing this in the monthly matches

Snap it up. The 45-60 is not a really hot round (in fact, its pretty wimpy as big bores go) and the 76 carbine is a nice gun. I have a repro Uberti 76 rifle in 45-75 and I love to shoot it in matches that allow big bore main match guns (I would much rather shoot it than a pistol cal rifle). I would like to pick up one of the carbines in 45-75 as well, but the price has gotten a bit out of hand on them.

I am looking at a 45-60 76 though. Its an original 2nd model rifle (screw on rail) with a mint bore, a bull barrel, XX fancy checkered wood, a pistol grip, a beach combination front sight, the correct winchester tang sight, quite a bit of blue, silvery color case on the receiver and the original cleaning rod. Its $9,750, but that does not mean I can't look! :D Besides, I can think of a lot of other things to use the money on.

Dang my search for main match rifle continues. I know there are a lot out there but I'm kinda at the shallow end of the financial pool.

Maybe ill jst have to shoot matches josey wales. I have the shotguns and enough revolvers. Lol

Josey Wales is a hoot...have at it!!!

It sounds like you need to do some trading!!

BH :)

The .45-60 is a hoot! 350 grain bullets at 1350 fps.

I have often wondered, if I had been in the US calvary in those days, I would have thought that the Trapdoor Springfield should have been replaced with the 1876 in 45-60, 22" barrel, six-round mag. It could have been made with a mag-cutoff to allow single-fire, like the 1903 and Krag.

I am building a collection of shooting Winchesters. My dream 1885 is a camp rifle: .45-60, 22" barrel, half-oct, straight stock. I keep lookign for an original action to build on but finances are always a concern.

If you like the 1876, then a '73 would be a great main match rifle since the actions are very similar.

There are number of clubs that are now shooting Cody Dixon as a category in the SASS matches. You shoot 6 rounds at targets that are usually much further out than the normal rifle targets. You also use the standard 2 pistols and shotgun. Many of the clubs in Texas are now doing this in the monthly matches

Jake, We've Got one club here in California that has added a "Monte Walsh" class for big bore lever rifle. It's good to here about other clubs doing this. We have 1 match a year right now with about 7-10 names that shoot it. I did a little trading and now have 2 76's in 2 calibers. 45-60 and 50-95 both Uberti's and a kick to shoot.

I also have an Uberti 76 in 45-60. I shoot a 300 gr Big Lube bullet and a case full of 2f Goex, it makes for a very comfortable (and reasonably accurate) load for long range. I would love to make it to the match in So Cal Weedy referenced where you can use a 45-60 as a main match rifle in the Monte Walsh class but just couldn't make it so far.

Your Uncle doesn't happen to have a 73 sitting around you might be able to borrow for awhile does he? :ph34r:

I also have an Uberti 76 in 45-60. I shoot a 300 gr Big Lube bullet and a case full of 2f Goex, it makes for a very comfortable (and reasonably accurate) load for long range. I would love to make it to the match in So Cal Weedy referenced where you can use a 45-60 as a main match rifle in the Monte Walsh class but just couldn't make it so far.

Your Uncle doesn't happen to have a 73 sitting around you might be able to borrow for awhile does he? :ph34r:

He has a couple but they are original. Most of his collection is over a hundred years old and those he doesn't shoot himself so that doesn't help. I think ill end up buying a rossi 92 in 45. But the uberti did come home with me ;)

Archived