SASS Wire Forum

Baikal 220- Worth it?

Buckshot Frank

I just got back from my local gun store. They had all of their used guns on sale (20% off). I found a used Baikal 220 for $320 that I was close to buying. I already have a Stoeger that my wife and I share, but I heard good things about the Baikals, we could always use a back-up, and the price was pretty good (I think). The reason that I din't buy it was that it was extremely stiff. The opening lever was stiff, cocking took a ton of effort, and even when it was already cocked it was tough to open. I know that this can be fixed (and I'd like a new project), but it was much worse than my Stoeger was when it was new. On the plus side, it felt "bank vault" tight. I can see why people say they are built like tanks. So the 320 dollar question is, should I go back and get it? After slicking up, will it be an improvement over my Stoeger?

Were it slicked up and ready for CAS use I'd say go for it. But it doesn't sound like it is. I recently bought a brand new Baikal 220 for $299. It was too stiff for CAS use out of the box and wouldn't stay open all the way for fast reloading. I've sent it off to a smith for smoothing and expect that when it returns it will be a great CAS shotgun. For what it's worth, I would buy another one, but I would buy a new one from a smith that had already been smoothed up.

HTH

Grizz

PS, just reread your post and my reply. Sounds like you enjoy doing your own gun work. Adding Papa Dave's cocking levers will help it to stay open and there is a fair amount of info on the internet about smoothing them up. I've not shot a Stoeger so can't compare the two. If it's in new or near new condition, I'd say sure, go for it.

Were it slicked up and ready for CAS use I'd say go for it. But it doesn't sound like it is. I recently bought a brand new Baikal 220 for $299. It was too stiff for CAS use out of the box and wouldn't stay open all the way for fast reloading. I've sent it off to a smith for smoothing and expect that when it returns it will be a great CAS shotgun. For what it's worth, I would buy another one, but I would buy a new one from a smith that had already been smoothed up.

HTH

Grizz

Yep, that's a little high for a used one. Like grizz said, about $300 new. That's about what I get for them.

In general it is a longer lasting gun than the Stoeger. The steel is better. The rib soldering is sometimes iffy, though. One of the better deals for a low end double hammerless. Especially if you have Nate or another good shotgun smith work on it. Nate's package deal (gun plus work) is hard to beat I I've got one of his fine pieces.

Good luck, GJ

Archived