SASS Wire Forum

Peacekeeper Problems

I've had a pair of AWA Peacekeepers in 357 for years, I bought them for my wife whom I could never get interested in shooting. :unsure: They've been shot very little.

I have a buddy who's gotten interested in shooting - steel plates and such - and I've been telling him he ought to give CAS a try. Accordingly, we went to the range to get him familiar with a lever action rifle and the Peacekeepers. The Peacekeepers let us down big time.

Each revolver had multiple misfires with light primer strikes. One cycled a cylinder-full and never went off once. Finally, when one bound up when cocking it, I realized that the cylinder pin was backing out - it wasn't being retained in place. (I say 'backing' out, but the pin is actually moving forward in relation to where it should be.) It happened with both revolvers, and when I shoved the pins back into place they each promptly started working out again with each round that did go off.

These are non-blackpowder frames, with the springloaded cross retaining pin. The revolvers are in near-new condition, scrupulously clean, and stored in a heated safe. The rounds were my own mild 38 Special reloads. They do have CCI primers and on rare occasions my other revolvers won't light one off, but the Peacekeepers failed to fire more than 50% of the time.

I'd have to guess that solving the backing-out cylinder pins will solve everything, but I've never run into this before with my Blackhawks or Single Sixes. Because both Peacekeepers did it I'm guessing it has to do with their parts or age.

Suggestions?

Base pin has two positions. All the way in for hammer block (i.e. light or no primer strikes), outer detent for operation.

Most folks grind off the extension (rear portion) on the base pin to prevent its blocking the hammer and acting as a mechanical safety and to permit the base pin to be fully seated during operation.

Sounds like you were between these two indents during your excursion.

It has happened before. Just tighten up cross pin if you can and always make sure that the cylinder pin is in place before shooting.

Ditto on cutting the base pin back to "normal" length. The previous owner of my Peacekeepers did this. The crosspin, however, should be holding the pin firmly in place, so this sounds like an issue.

I suspect that your light hits are caused by CCI primers in conjunction with light springs. If you want to use CCI, put stronger mainsprings in your revolvers. Otherwise, use Federal or Winchester primers.

I occasionally get a light strike on one of my Peacekeepers, using Winchester primers.

Archived