SASS Wire Forum

Ruger email saying why the 1911 isn't offered in CA

Aunt Jen

Here is the email I got from Ruger, first quoting my email to them, then quoting their response:

"Thank you for using the Ruger On-Line Customer Support Request Form.

This e-mail is in response to your question or comment of 05/05/2011

Request No: 95048

Comment / question:

I found that the Ruger 1911 is not available in California, yet I'm interested in buying one. Can you tell me (1) why it's not available in CA, and (2) when it may be available in CA?

Response:

No, I am sorry the new SR1911 is not available in California. Under California Law, center fire pistols manufactured after January 1, 2007 must be equipped with both a loaded chamber indicator and a magazine disconnect. Although the SR1911 has a witness hole that allows one to determine the presence of a round on the chamber, the California Department of Justice has not recognized this device as satisfying the loaded chamber indicator requirement. The SR1911 has no magazine disconnect either. As such, the SR1911 will not be offered in California in its current configuration. At this point, there are no plans to produce a California compliant model. If you should need further assistance please call our Service Department at 928/778-6555 between 8:00 - 4:00, MST Monday thru Friday, at a time convenient for you. A Ruger Representative will be happy to help you.

If you need further information, please visit our website at www.ruger.com or contact us at:

Revolvers, shotguns, rifles, 10/22 Charger Pistol: (603) 865-2442

Pistols: (928) 778-6555

Serial Number History Information: (603) 865-2424

Please note: This e-mail is sent from a notification-only address that cannot accept incoming e-mail. Please do not reply to this message.

Sincerely,

Ruger Firearms"

Aunt Jen

Guest Winchester Jack, SASS #70195

looks like my Dad will have to buy one in Oregon and hand it down to me... :ph34r:

Well, I guess that's good for the California economy. The money will be staying there. :wacko:

The real question here is are other makes of 1911s available?

Such as the Colt, Springfield Armory, Rock island etc?

If the firearm was put on the approved list before the new law and the manufacturer continues to pay the fees to keep it there the firearm can be sold in CA.

So you can still get 1911's in CA.

Now all the Colts are up for renewal next month. If Colt does not pay the renewal they will come off the list and CANNOT be put back on as they do not comply with the new law.

There are some that have been dropped. There is only 1 pistol made after 2007 that meets the new requirements. It is made in CA.

JJJ-D

:ph34r::ph34r:

Sounds like we need to fill a class action law suit against the State

If the firearm was put on the approved list before the new law and the manufacturer continues to pay the fees to keep it there the firearm can be sold in CA.

So you can still get 1911's in CA.

Now all the Colts are up for renewal next month. If Colt does not pay the renewal they will come off the list and CANNOT be put back on as they do not comply with the new law.

There are some that have been dropped. There is only 1 pistol made after 2007 that meets the new requirements. It is made in CA.

JJJ-D

:ph34r::ph34r:

What a game...and we're in a similar bind back here. We can still buy a few 1911s (Paras, Auto Ordnance, Sig) but no new Colts or Springfield Armory; if you look at the Ruger website, you'll see that MA is the other state for which their 1911 variant is not approved. We're also closed out of new Colt SA revolvers (and here the grandfathered units had to be actually registered in this state pre-1997, and are now 2x the price of a new gun, and fairly scarce).

Until someone challanges the so-called "safety standards" and testing procedures implemented by our Attorney General, without any public input or legislative debate, we're basically toast on gun selection. And I think that opportunity was lost when we didn't sue the AG when the regs were implemented. Safety my eye; purely an attempt at back-door gun control, and it's working.

LL

Looks like Ohio ain't such a bad place to live, despite the terrible winters we can buy whatever our hearts desire.:)

Howdy.

I aint no lawyer and didnt stay in hollerday ezpresso last night but

Id sue to git my 1911s. No time like the present.

You betcha.

Best

CR

Dissapointing for our Cali pards....hopefully there will be an attitude shift (next election??) to get the right people in there that 1) improve the gun laws and 2) can fiscally help grow the state to it's former glory. We here in Michigan have an issue with the number two, but with a new governor and legislators that may change :D

Go Cali! You have supporters here in the other 49 states...

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Dissapointing for our Cali pards....hopefully there will be an attitude shift (next election??) to get the right people in there that 1) improve the gun laws and 2) can fiscally help grow the state to it's former glory. We here in Michigan have an issue with the number two, but with a new governor and legislators that may change :D

Go Cali! You have supporters here in the other 49 states...

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Thanks, Gunner.

Sometimes it is hard to see with the comments of "Well, move to a free state!" and its variants. And the implications that all of us are just sitting on our butts doing nothing. Yeah, a lot are just sitting back, but a fair number are fighting as hard as we can and trying to get others involved.

There are lawsuits filed and about to be filed to challenge this -- and other - California gun laws.

It's important that we should all join and support the NRA, CRPA, SAF, etc. According to a gun-right litigator: with the Heller and McDonald decisions most of Cali's draconian gun laws are built on a foundation of sand. However, it's going to take time, money and support to roll back decades of stupidity.

There are lawsuits filed and about to be filed to challenge this -- and other - California gun laws.

It's important that we should all join and support the NRA, CRPA, SAF, etc. According to a gun-right litigator: with the Heller and McDonald decisions most of Cali's draconian gun laws are built on a foundation of sand. However, it's going to take time, money and support to roll back decades of stupidity.

It is important to join and/or support those groups. But it can't stop there. We need to let our elected representatives know that we care through calls, emails, and regular letters. And not just when a bill comes to the floor of the Assembly or State Senate for a vote, but monthly at the very least, weekly if you can. "What have you done this week to protect my civil rights guaranteed by the Second Amendment? Why can citizens in other states be trusted with (example), but in CA we are too careless and ignorant? Is that fair? What about the equal protection clause?" Things like that.

I also got a message back from Rossi and Henry Rifles that the Mare's Legs won't be in CA either.

Not only that but now they want to register the long guns and a whole host of other stupid meaningless laws all while the entire state sinks deeper into debt.

Guess we can all hope is that the state will go under and go into receivership (since states cannot go bankrupt) and may be parceled out to other states.

*SIGH*

Archived