SASS Wire Forum

FedEx..........Seriously?

Blue Steel Duke

Pards, I just did my first firearms transaction on the classifieds and several pards shot me an e-mail recommending FedEx for the shipping option. I did my homework and went to their web page and had all the documents and proper shipping box ready, then I met the store manager from Hell. Her first words were "you can't do that, you're not a dealer", and as I showed the FFL from the receiving dealer, she pulled out the regulation book. Then she said "well since you're not a dealer you'll have to open a corporate shipping account, but I can't do that here. As I tried to show her the information from the FedEx web site she commented that "she had nothing to do with the web site". Long story not so long, we drove 3 miles down the road to UPS, and not only did they re-package the box properly, they added packing material and quickly walked us though every step of the process, and charged $13 less than FedEx. Just a word of advice to others! ;)

BSD

I would certainly let FedEx know, they can't fix what they don't know.

BH

Being done as we speak sir! ;)

YEP, I concur with Black Harris.

Actually, I've had a similar situation except it was UPS that seemed to be a bump in the road and FEDEX was the Angel of Mercy.

Sometime last year, I had to send 2 pistols to an FFL in Ohio(I'm not an FFL).

UPS wasn't even sure if they could take the package. The local FEDEX only wanted a copy of the receiving FFL and shipped it without any problems.

I think alot of these circumstances come about from employees who are scared they might do something wrong.

..........Widder

All my long guns go USPS. Any handguns I now let my FFL ship Priority Mail for me. Costs less and no hassles. :)

When I run into that kind of thing anymore...and I know I'm right...my next comment is "Let me speak to your supervisor." If that person can't or won't help, "Let me speak to your supervisor." And on up the line.

I'm retired and don't have much else to do. Also, being retired, I don't much care who I offend nor what anyone thinks, and am NOT beyond tying up the line at the counter until I'm satisfied or someone drags me out.

And it doesn't have to be a gun-related issue. I've done it at Home Depot (several times), Radio Shack, J. C. Penney, the old Montgomery Ward, and other places. My money. If they want it, they do things my way or prove they are right.

Aunt Jen, the short answer is "Buy one and move to a free State"

guess California aint the only place with problems

hud

Service will also vary from location to location. In my county in Texas, USPS delivers packages to my mail box .5 mi down the road from the house. UPS brings them to my door. FedEX calls from town, 6 miles away and asks if there is someome in town that can receive it for me. If nobody is available, they simply say that they can't find the address and take it back to their terminal.

Hmm? I just went to a local Post and Ship. the guns were in a box, no qustions asked, shipped to a gun dealer out of state using UPS, got my tracking number, paid $35 with insurance, end of story.

What Forty said.

You can run into an uninformed employee who think they know the regs at FedEx, UPS, USPS, Congress, and almost anywhere else.

Service will also vary from location to location. In my county in Texas, USPS delivers packages to my mail box .5 mi down the road from the house. UPS brings them to my door. FedEX calls from town, 6 miles away and asks if there is someome in town that can receive it for me. If nobody is available, they simply say that they can't find the address and take it back to their terminal.

Both UPS and FedEx deliver to my porch here.

But for my mail I have to drive 6 miles to the Post Office. :unsure:

hud

Howdy hud! Comin' from I guy that has kin in california....California is a hard place to defend on SASSwire.....Since 1984 I've tried to convince everyone I talked to what was happening out there.....But no one seemed to care as long as they where making the BIG Bucks and they could brag on how their homes were excalating in value.......Leave California to the Californios...I say "Stay there and enjoy your freedoms vanish"...Tuco...P.S. I think Illinios just got the right to carry...........

hud

Not so fast, I had a Glock on my hip with 2 high capacity (15+) magazines as I was arguing, try that in California! :P

BSD

BSD,were you at a shipping hub or a Fed-X "store" like you find in a mall etc?

LG

We had to go to the FedEx store initially because the Hub has no packaging materials whatsoever, and the store was supposed to have the regulation corrugated shipping box........which they didn't. UPS had everything we needed in one stop.

Since I'm liable to be anywhere, I've had varying experienced varying responses from shippers. Today I took a box for a gunsmith to the local FedEx hub, with the package ready to go with airbilll attached. I set up a FedEx account years ago--it's free. The lady behind the counter saw me and the ready package, waved me to the front, scanned it, and handed me the receipt.

Drove past the FedEx Kinko's because the rude #€£+¥[]! in charge wouldn't take a shotgun BARREL previously.

It ain't the corporation, it's the idiot you're dealing with. Find a different idiot, and you'll get different results.

Not so fast, I had a Glock on my hip with 2 high capacity (15+) magazines as I was arguing, try that in California! :P

BSD

I carry a Colt defender, or a Colt Commander, and yes, on my hip. I have Glocks w/ hi cap mags, just not a big fan

hud

I carry a Colt defender, or a Colt Commander, and yes, on my hip. I have Glocks w/ hi cap mags, just not a big fan

hud

I'm glad you have some freedoms out there, but don't you have magazine restrictions on anything over 10 rounds? I'm just glad to live in a State that issues my permit without question, and I'm able to CCW or open carry, and I don't have a limited list of weapons to choose from. I also understand that your permits go from county to county, and not statewide. Is this true?

BSD

I'm glad you have some freedoms out there, but don't you have magazine restrictions on anything over 10 rounds? I'm just glad to live in a State that issues my permit without question, and I'm able to CCW or open carry, and I don't have a limited list of weapons to choose from. I also understand that your permits go from county to county, and not statewide. Is this true?

BSD

false, CCW is good all over the State not county to county, we can open carry here also

Doesn't "open cary" have to be unloaded?

you are correct but you can have the mags loaded and yes it is stupid. Me personally I would not carry an unloaded weapon openly then again I would not carry open any ways

I also had some problems with BOTH Fed Ex and UPS.I have a FFL and still had problems shipping through Fed Ex.UPS would do it,but wanted a stupid amount to ship,so I've gotten to where the only place I ship with is the USPS.Usually close to half of what UPS wants to ship either a long gun OR handguns.I gave up on Fed Ex.

BSD

Nope, good statewide, but not in any other states. Its fine to be glad about your own state, please dont take pot shots at anyone else's tho. It does tend to get tiring, when trying to fight the good fight in the front, and being sniped by cracks from your own side from behind. Take care

hud

I'm in a real pinch now after my move. In San Luis Obispo I lived about 1 mile from the UPS hub but now I'm who knows how many miles away from the nearest hub. There are a couple of "privately owned" UPS box stores, but they as general policy do not take firearms. Also I, like most of the rest of you have had nothing but bad luck with FedEx. I think I might go the posted advice of "let me talk to your supervisor" and keep going until they run out of supervisors approach. It sounds like a good one and being disabled I too have nothing better to do. You would think that in general a place like that would run into enough firearms that the bosses would look into it and have it figured out rather than leave it up to the incompetent hired help at the counter. The hub I dealt with in San Luis was spot on for laws and regulations and therefore was helpful, quick and courteous. Something that I now miss. Smithy.

Whether I have a concealed carry or an open carry depends on how long my shirt is and which way I bend or twist........ :unsure: Last time I went to a movie my shirt got stuck between the holster and my pants, I did get a few stares, but not many...... ^_^ My brother finally saw it and I untucked it though.

Nope, good statewide, but not in any other states. Its fine to be glad about your own state, please dont take pot shots at anyone else's tho. It does tend to get tiring, when trying to fight the good fight in the front, and being sniped by cracks from your own side from behind. Take care

hud

My reply to Aunt Jen was a joke, I'm sorry you took it seriously and personally. No offense intended.

BSD

All my long guns go USPS. Any handguns I now let my FFL ship Priority Mail for me. Costs less and no hassles. :)

That's the way everyone should do it. Let the local gun shop make a couple dollars and going from FFL to FFL eliminates alot of hassle and raising of blood pressure!B)

BSD,were you at a shipping hub or a Fed-X "store" like you find in a mall etc?

LG

+1

FedEx Express and FedEx Freight are different. I know that most of my C&R purchases were delivered by FedEx Freight. Maybe they have different rules pertaining to shipping firearms.

+1

FedEx Express and FedEx Freight are different. I know that most of my C&R purchases were delivered by FedEx Freight. Maybe they have different rules pertaining to shipping firearms.

I now understand the difference, but the website made no mention of only shipping from a hub. My frustration was, the manager I dealt with peppered her conversation with "I've been doing this a long time and I'm not wrong" as she said that the shipping "had" to be between 2 FFL's. My son did make a humorous comment to the manager, he said "Lady, you do understand that an unloaded pistol is no more dangerous than a coffee maker don't you?"

Howdy hud! Comin' from I guy that has kin in california....California is a hard place to defend on SASSwire.....Since 1984 I've tried to convince everyone I talked to what was happening out there.....But no one seemed to care as long as they where making the BIG Bucks and they could brag on how their homes were excalating in value.......Leave California to the Californios...I say "Stay there and enjoy your freedoms vanish"...Tuco...P.S. I think Illinios just got the right to carry...........

We'll stay here and keep on fighting...the politicians, the news media, the uneducated, and our "friends" from all over who continually bash California and are as hard to fight as the grabbers. Thanks for nothing, folks.

BTW, just what do your opinions of California have to do with the ineptitude of some company's employees?

We had to go to the FedEx store initially because the Hub has no packaging materials whatsoever, and the store was supposed to have the regulation corrugated shipping box........which they didn't. UPS had everything we needed in one stop.

UPS and Fed-X "stores", for the most part, will not take guns for shipment do to the fact they do not have a secure area to keep them for pickup as the "hubs" do.

Respectfully,

LG

:rolleyes:

Why don't you just leave your comments to yourownself about Ca. ;)

I was born in Colo. and Denver today, ain't to much different from Sac......... :o

LG

UPS and Fed-X "stores", for the most part, will not take guns for shipment do to the fact they do not have a secure area to keep them for pickup as the "hubs" do.

Respectfully,

LG

Yep, UPS was considerate enough to explain the entire process, and explained that the package had to be hand delivered through each part of the process, and was never left unattended until placed in a secure holding area, this is why I had to pay over $100 for overnight delivery. I do believe next time I'll go through my local FFL and see what his price is. ;)

BSD

BTW, just what do your opinions of California have to do with the ineptitude of some company's employees?

It's partly my fault, hud was commenting on something I said on a completely different thread. The California questions/debate started from there.

BSD

Archived