SASS Wire Forum

I hear Ruger 1911s not available in CA?

Aunt Jen

I hear that Ruger 1911s are not available in California? I don't mean to get into any argument about California gun laws. I'm just wondering if anyone has any ideas on when they might be available?

Aunt Jen

I hear that Ruger 1911s are not available in California? I don't mean to get into any argument about California gun laws. I'm just wondering if anyone has any ideas on when they might be available?

Aunt Jen

My understanding is that, like most 1911s, the Ruger piece does not have a California-required magazine disconnect, which would disable the gun from firing if the magazine is out of the gun. So, short answer - never, with the current crop of Ca regulations. Appears based on incorrect concepts about the CA regs. Well, so much for trusting what I have read here.:lol: CA seems to require, as well as a certification process, a mag disconnect AND a loaded chamber indicator and ability to pass several drop tests. And Ruger does not want to jump that hoop. So, short answer, probably never.

Good luck, GJ

The CA DOJ Roster of Handguns lists many 1911's that do not have magazine disconnect safeties. To be listed the mfg must have the gun drop tested by a CA DOJ certified testing agency. To pass the tests a 1911 either has to be a series 80 or have low inertia (titanium) firing pin or a firing pin spring. Ruger either hasn't submitted it for test yet or in the process of getting it listed.

JD

The SR1911 does have a titanium firing pin with a heavy spring.

So it could, in theory, pass the CA drop requirement, if Ruger submits one to the testing facility.

The SR1911 does have a titanium firing pin with a heavy spring.

So it could, in theory, pass the CA drop requirement, if Ruger submits one to the testing facility.

That's "Hedy!"

Aunt Jen

The pistols that do not have a magazine safety disconnector and loaded round indicator are grandfathered in to the Cal DOJ Approved Guns List. Since 2001 (I think) all new pistols, by law, have to have the above mentioned safety items.

For the chillens.

I stand corrected:

Is the SR 1911 pistol California Approved? If not, is the company planning on one?

Response:

No, I am sorry the new SR1911 is not available in California. Under California Law, center fire pistols manufactured after January 1, 2007 must be equipped with both a loaded chamber indicator and a magazine disconnect. Although the SR1911 has a witness hole that allows one to determine the presence of a round on the chamber, the California Department of Justice has not recognized this device as satisfying the loaded chamber indicator requirement. The SR1911 has no magazine disconnect either. As such, the SR1911 will not be offered in California in its current configuration. At this point, there are no plans to produce a California compliant model.

If you need further information, please visit our website at www.ruger.com or contact us at: Revolvers, shotguns, rifles, 10/22 Charger Pistol: (603) 865-2442Pistols: (928) 778-6555Serial Number History Information: (603) 865-2424 Please note: This e-mail is sent from a notification-only address that cannot accept incoming e-mail. Please do not reply to this message.

Sincerely,Ruger Firearms

What I have heard is that the new Ruger SR1911 is set up like a series 70. This means that its missing the firing pin block like the series 80 has. If thats the case, its another reason why its not Cal compliant....

I'm not sure if Ruger is going to (having not corresponded with Ruger), but they may add the bolt on features to an altered model labeled a CA-model since California is such a large marketplace. Magnum Research did this for just one model of their gun (in 44 magnum, black). That essentially got the platform into California hands. You then could buy from the factory any barrel or bolt combination to have whatever gun you wanted but you had to start out with that specific 44 mag California model. I bought one and the only difference was in the firing pin plate. It had a retention spring that kept it in place (almost permanently). I called Magnum Research and asked if I might buy the original parts as they were much easier for disassembly and reassembly. They said "Why of course, we see nothing wrong with that". So I bought the gun that I had too and in minutes it was back to the original model. Go figure? Magnum Research said that it was legal and that others had been doing it since day one so I felt pretty good about it. When I sold the gun I returned the California required Pain in the Rear parts back to the gun just to be on the safe side. Smithy.

Aunt Jen, the short answer is "Buy one and move to a free State" :lol:

BSD

I'm not sure if Ruger is going to (having not corresponded with Ruger), but they may add the bolt on features to an altered model labeled a CA-model since California is such a large marketplace...
I wonder if they will. My Sprinfield Armory 1911 does not have those features so presumably its not CA legal either. I haven't seen any SA 1911 that are. I think those guns are post 2007(?).

After shooting my stainless SA GI, I would at least move to another state just to buy one!

Where does it say Ca. is such a large market place that gun manufacturers should make their gun to the specs of some dizzy politition that wants guns kept out of the state. I just read something similar on a shotgun forum stating Ca was such a huge market?

Where does it say Ca. is such a large market place that gun manufacturers should make their gun to the specs of some dizzy politition that wants guns kept out of the state. I just read something similar on a shotgun forum stating Ca was such a huge market?

Here are some numbers for Riverside Co. :

From 2000 to 2010, the county's firearm sales increased more than 154 percent, state figures show. The county's population, meanwhile, grew by 42 percent over the same time.

In all, more than 169,500 handguns, rifles and shotguns were sold in the county during the past decade.

Just last year, a record 24,072 firearms were sold in Riverside County, including 11,611 handguns.

Here are some numbers from the CA DOJ:

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/drosdata2010.pdf

A not inconsiderable number of guns sold in CA.

Aunt Jen If you don't mind a little winter,relocate to Vermont,buy any gun you can find,want or can afford, No CCW permit needed, it's covered in the state Constitution,carry your choice concealed or open carry. Some other positives for Vermont is Maple syrup,fall colors,which unfortunately leads to Winter. Did I mention I Hate winter but living in Vermont makes it worth it. Adios Sgt. Jake

Here are some numbers for Riverside Co. :

Here are some numbers from the CA DOJ:

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/drosdata2010.pdf

A not inconsiderable number of guns sold in CA.

Maybe but - according to this California is listed as #7 of the least gun sales per capita. Granted it's a large populated state, but its public as a whole is not 'trigger happy'...according to this stat :rolleyes:

http://www.mainstreet.com/slideshow/lifestyle/most-trigger-happy-states

GG ~ :FlagAm:

A lot of guns in Ca. One note, the newspaper articles that were giving state by state information about guns owned and where, the information as to what city and county and town that owned more or less guns was coming from the ATF, isnt that against the law their keeping of data, yes it is.

Aunt Jen If you don't mind a little winter,relocate to Vermont,buy any gun you can find,want or can afford, No CCW permit needed, it's covered in the state Constitution,carry your choice concealed or open carry. Some other positives for Vermont is Maple syrup,fall colors,which unfortunately leads to Winter. Did I mention I Hate winter but living in Vermont makes it worth it. Adios Sgt. Jake

Well, I like to ski...

Aunt Jen

Now I wouldn't extend this invite to just anyone, but Colorado has about the best of all worlds IMO. Skiing in the winter just up in the mountains, but winters in town on the plains aren't too bad most years. Fairly gun friendly too as long as you stay out of Boulder and the city of Denver proper.

Maybe but - according to this California is listed as #7 of the least gun sales per capita. Granted it's a large populated state, but its public as a whole is not 'trigger happy'...according to this stat :rolleyes:

http://www.mainstreet.com/slideshow/lifestyle/most-trigger-happy-states

The stats they use are very outdated and I believe suspect. At #7 The article says there are 1.8 firearms per 100 residents. Using their info there should be about 383,000 firearms in the state in 2007....

For the 3 years leading up to the date of their stats there were 1.4 MILLION firearms transfers...

the numbers just don't add up...

And those of us here in CA do work to change these stupid laws, afterall, up til 1997 we had a 15 day waiting period, then we got the law changed to 10 days.

Progress is slow but it is progress....

JJJ-D

:ph34r::ph34r:

The stats they use are very outdated and I believe suspect. At #7 The article says there are 1.8 firearms per 100 residents. Using their info there should be about 383,000 firearms in the state in 2007....

For the 3 years leading up to the date of their stats there were 1.4 MILLION firearms transfers...

the numbers just don't add up...

And those of us here in CA do work to change these stupid laws, afterall, up til 1997 we had a 15 day waiting period, then we got the law changed to 10 days.

Progress is slow but it is progress....

JJJ-D

:ph34r::ph34r:

Sadly, the stats are still very similar today (plus there have been some business' moving out (tax code) people moving out because of jobs) so it's relative I think- and I don't doubt that our Cali pards are workin' hard to change the atmosphere there. ;)

I am from California and remember the 15 day wait - for all guns - long and hand.

I can't verify stats - but IF that stat is wrong then folks need to start gathering better information that the public sees....it's public perception (true or false) that helps drive the ridiculous anti-gun legislation out there - along with populations of anti-gun big cities.

I got to handle on of these yesterday at our shoot and it looked like a very nice 1911. I would buy one if I didn't have a Springfield Trophy Match allready.

I am hoping to sink some money into a more "traditional" style 1911. Was thinking about the Remington R1 or a Springfield Armory Mil Spec.

KQ

I got to handle on of these yesterday at our shoot and it looked like a very nice 1911. I would buy one if I didn't have a Springfield Trophy Match allready.

I am hoping to sink some money into a more "traditional" style 1911. Was thinking about the Remington R1 or a Springfield Armory Mil Spec.

KQ

Maybe Ruger will come out with a SR1911A1 'Wild Bunch' edition :)

I wonder if they will. My Sprinfield Armory 1911 does not have those features so presumably its not CA legal either. I haven't seen any SA 1911 that are. I think those guns are post 2007(?).

After shooting my stainless SA GI, I would at least move to another state just to buy one!

Any pistol that was on the registry before this new requirement for a magazine disconnector was enacted can stay on the registry as long as the manufacturer remembers to pay their Ca. bribe money every couple of years to stay on the registry. If they forget to re register so to speak it falls off the register and can't be re-registered....ever. You can bet that the state doesn't send out a notice, so we have to hope that the mfg's remember to send in their dues :angry:

...Was thinking about the Remington R1 or a Springfield Armory Mil Spec...
I like my Springfield and the warranty better than the Remmy. That said, I have held a R1 and it is very, very nice...

Archived