SASS Wire Forum

problem with my slicked up 66

Yep the screw that holds the lever in keeps loosening up on me when I do some dry fire practice.(Yea I know that's wierd...practice I mean). Does it need lock tited or am I just not tightening it enough. Or maybe it's just friction from my lightning speed??????????

Blood Washed

Put some clear fingernail polish on the threads. It will still hold it tight, and when you want to remove it she'll come out easier than if it's Loctited. Also, don't tighten the screw super tight, that brass strips out easy. Don't ask me how I know!

Guest Tennessee Stud, SASS# 43634 Life

Sounds to me like that rifle is too dam slick.

Put some blue loc-tite on that screw... ** don't use the red loc-tite stuff **.

ts

Mine wears Blue Locktite. Not Red.

If it's Red

You're Dead.

I made this mistake before. My blue loctite tube is red, and the red loctite tube is blue. Who was the packaging genius that designed this??? That screw will never come out again.

I also use clear nail polish on screws as a low strength thread locker; it is a lot cheaper than purple loctite.

I made this mistake before. My blue loctite tube is red, and the red loctite tube is blue. That screw will never come out again.

Three tips for removing Loctited screws.

1) Apply high heat if possible (torch or soldering iron)

2) Apply acetone (fingernail polish remover)

3) Put punch or screwdriver on screw and tap on it to break seal

Yep the screw that holds the lever in keeps loosening up on me when I do some dry fire practice.(Yea I know that's wierd...practice I mean). Does it need lock tited or am I just not tightening it enough. Or maybe it's just friction from my lightning speed??????????

Blood Washed

Just let me adjust it for ya before every stage. I'll check it reeeel good ;)

CR

oh do put gun grease on the part of the screw the lever rides on.

Now ya tell me............Haa haaaa

Thanks ya'all.....I got the wifes finger nail polish on the job....Don't ask me whut she said when I ask where it was. Some things are better left alone!!!!!!!!!!1HeeHeeee

Blood Washed

Heck ,,,, be a Man use Pink nail polish !!!!!

Sorry ,,,,, That's fer 73s .....

Yep use clear polish on 66s... Wouldn't want to mar those perfect looks .... 66s rule da others droole ....

Jabez Cowboy

It is a common problem for 66's to strip the threads on the lever screw. That is why, although I love the 66, I generally encourage folks to go with the 73.

As much s we shoot, the guns need to be cleaned at some regular intervals. And a complete cleaning on a 66 requires removal of the lever screw to remove the side plates. So it is only natural that the screw will work loose. Eventually, some 66's will need to have the frame repaired by having a steel insert installed due to the screw hole slipping.

So do not over tighten that lever screw. That is also probably why AD said to not use locktite.

You can loosen that LocTite (blue or red) with a good hair drier or a heat gun (wall paper/paint removing tool). Neither one will hurt the finish on your gun

If you had been on the range with us this past weekend I guarantee that the Texas sun would have done the job!

Olen

Archived