SASS Wire Forum

OT: Youth rifles

My first rifle was a Benjamin Air rifle, .177 cal. A couple of years later I inherited my brother's .22 S,L, LR single shot bolt action.

My grandson is now ready to graduate from Airsoft (which I have been using to teach him gun safety while his attention span was less than might be hoped) to a real firearm. I'd like to get him a youth size .22 bolt action single shot, much like the "learner" I had.

I've looked at a couple of models, and they all have one funny quirk: after the gun is loaded and the bolt closed, a person has to pull the firing pin back to cock it. This is a so-called safety feature, that seems particularly unsafe to me. This distracts a new shooter from staying focused on muzzle direction while using one hand to grip the gun and the other to pull back the firing pin button.

My old rifle, I think a Marlin (?), would be cocked as the bolt was closed. There was also a manual safety.

Does anyone out there know of a youth rifle that does not have to be cocked after the bolt is closed?

Muchas gracias for any help ~

eGG

A fine (new) rifle for beginning youth shooting is

* the Savage Mk 1 single shot bolt action. Very accurate.

* the CZ 452 bolt action single shot. Very accurate also.

No pulling the cocking piece with those .

Later models of the Winchester 69A make a fine beginning gun (get a later-production model with a thumb safety rather than the "twist-the-cocking-piece-to-engage-safety" early models). And old Mossberg bolt actions (44, or 246 models) . Remington bolt actions from the 70s (model 712 maybe???) don't have to be pull-cocked either.

Good luck, GJ

I will be in the same position as you with my son very soon, but never really thought about doing the airsoft thing. I am leaning toward just getting a new adjustable stock for my 10-22. The small rifles are cute but it seems like I have to buy a new bike for him every year already with how much he grows.

Marlin makes one as you describe. bought one in ss and is accurate enough.

Obliged

Deacon Phil

+1! I bought my boy a Marlin .22 Youth model a few years ago. Here is the current version: http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/BoltAction22/915y.asp. Nice small .22 bolt action - works as you desire - cocks as the bolt is actuated.

My .02.....Much better quality than the "Chipmunk" - machined steel - not stamped. My only complaint was a flimsy rear sight which I replaced with a heavier one I bought directly from Marlin. Price is right as well.

It served him and his brother thru 4 years of 4H shooting. I still use it for possums.

ol' poke.

First off, thanks for all the replies so fast. Hoping to locate one this weekend! Of course, it will stay in Granpa's safe.

I will be in the same position as you with my son very soon, but never really thought about doing the airsoft thing. I am leaning toward just getting a new adjustable stock for my 10-22. The small rifles are cute but it seems like I have to buy a new bike for him every year already with how much he grows.

Josh has been interested in shooting for several years, but until this year I wouldn't trust him with real bullets. The Airsoft seemed like a good training tool, and fun, too. After a year or two with the single shot .22, then maybe he can graduate to Buckaroo status!

Muchas gracias,

eGG

Archived