SASS Wire Forum

FS 1894 Win. 38-55 Takedown, made in 1895

A brother of a friend of mine contacted me because he had heard I was into CAS. He has a 1894 Winchester, in .38-55 he wants to sell. It's a Standard sporting rifle, 26" barrel and it's a takedown version. He says the rifle is mechanically sound, and it appears to be so to me. The wood is in pretty good shape, with a few moderate gouges and a couple of interesting "notches" in the forearm. All parts seem to be there in working order, and he says he shot it last year with about 20 rounds of modern Winchester factory ammo. The bore appears to be good, with a trace of dark near the chamber. He has a Lyman tang sight with it that he says has been mounted on the rifle. The five digit serial number (15XXX)checks out to have been manufactured in 1895.

The less that great side is that the finish is pretty much gone. It's mottled gray, but doesn't have much pitting. I can't see that much, if any, bluing remains on the gun.

He's asking $1200 for the rifle, plus shipping. I have contact information for the serious buyers.

Overall Picture

Buttplate

Receiver

Buttstock

Forearm

Contact me by PM or email me at my listed email with SASSNET.

Archived