SASS Wire Forum

Custer on History Channel Wed Night

Marauder SASS #13056

I noticed that the History channel has a program about the Battle of Little Big Horn/Greasy Grass.

Tonight at 9 pm Eastern Time. (8 PM Central) and on the West Coast, Mikey's Big Hand will be on..... :D

Says it will include info from some forensic science.

That may be worth watching.

I like me some Custer history, every show I watch, it turns out the same way. Now over on the sci-fi channel, Ghost Hunters rules Wed. nights.

:FlagAm: Watched that show. It was about a Dayton, Wa. man who supposedly made it out of the massacree alive but didn't say aword about it for 40 some odd years. It was really good, and if you watched it you could draw your own conclusions. As for Custer stories, the best I've seen if call "Son of the Morning Star" and I've been a lokin for a DVD of it to no avail. It is a good one.

I watched it, enjoyed it. It provided some fodder for conversation and thought. The fact that he knew the landscape was somewhat impressive, but not necessarily convincing. The fact that his version bucked the then conventional wisdom, but seems to be more in line with what we know now seems to be quite interesting.

I would prefer things to be accurate with weapons and clothing, but I don't get a bunch of heart burn when they aren't completely accurate.

One interesting part was that a body was identified as August Finkle by one person, but his best friend couldn't identify it a short time later. There were stray bodies, and the Souix had stripped the bodies before the Army arrived. The hand writing was about the same on the surface, and the differences the expert pointed out could easily have been the differences that crop up after 40 years of aging. I have worked with handwriting experts professionally. Their "science" isn't exact by any means. At best it is supportive evidence.

My only question is how could anyone get out of that alive. But then again, the killing of everyone on one side of any battle is fairly rare.

One interesting part was that a body was identified as August Finkle by one person, but his best friend couldn't identify it a short time later. There were stray bodies, and the Souix had stripped the bodies before the Army arrived. The hand writing was about the same of the surface, and the differences the expert pointed out could easily have been the differences that crop up after 40 years of aging. I have worked with handwriting experts professionally. Their "science" isn't exact by any means. At best it is supportive evidence.

My only question is how could anyone get out of that alive. But then again, the killing of everyone on one side of any battle is fairly rare.

According to some Sioux accounts, a number of troopers killed themselves to avoid capture and torture.

This is an interesting read. Keep the Last Bullet for Yourself.

I agree 'bout the handwriting guy. My handwriting has changed a TON over the years, and all for the worse. Almost wonder if that guy was a real expert at all since he never brought that up.

hud

Handwriting analysis is certainly a supportive investigative tool and is never 100% without question. What I missed and again I just might have missed it, but was there any discussion about any examination of scars from the wounds he said he received and if they were consistent with those types of injuries? As far as the possibility of some soldiers one or more escaping the battle field with all the confusion and smoke, I don't know about Finkle, but most anything is possible.

Wiley, no discussion of scars that I can remember. Was kind of wondering that myself. Mentioned wounds received, but nothing about checking for scars during the 1920's interview. Of course, the social mores were different then, maybe the reporter thought that would be too forward...........Buck :blush:

I quit when it became obvious that most of the program was a Custer whitewash.

I quit when it became obvious that most of the program was a Custer whitewash.

I didn't necessarily see it that way, considering it pointed out Custer just barely escaped with his command on a prior occasion, and that he had the opportunity to escape at Little Big Horn, among other things.

Also part of Finkle's story jives with indian accounts which he more than likely had no access to at the time of the paper article. The indians also stated that there was a time that Custer could've gotten out before it was too late........Buck :blush:

It wasn't bad, but it was a 1 hour show stretched to 2 hours with repetitive scenes and dialog.

It drives me crazy when they do that. :angry:

I like me some Custer history, every show I watch, it turns out the same way.

Well, they actually tried to make the battle turn out differently once. There was an episode years and years ago, of The Twilight Zone where some National Guardsmen were on maneuvers near the battlefield, and thought that they heard the Custer battle ongoing. As I recall, their tanks stopped working, and they walked over the hill. The end result was still the same however....

http://tzone.the-croc.com/tzeplist/phantoms.html

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0734627/usercomments

http://www.answers.com/topic/the-7th-is-made-up-of-phantoms

I like me some Custer history, every show I watch, it turns out the same way. Now over on the sci-fi channel, Ghost Hunters rules Wed. nights.

I just noticed your post. I'm glad I'm not the only one that enjoys the TAPS fellows.

Well, they actually tried to make the battle turn out differently once. There was an episode years and years ago, of The Twilight Zone where some National Guardsmen were on maneuvers near the battlefield, and thought that they heard the Custer battle ongoing. As I recall, their tanks stopped working, and they walked over the hill. The end result was still the same however....

http://tzone.the-croc.com/tzeplist/phantoms.html

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0734627/usercomments

http://www.answers.com/topic/the-7th-is-made-up-of-phantoms

I remember that episode. At the end the rest of the National Guard are looking for them and their names are listed on the tombstones. That is one of the few Twilight Zones I remember, I must have been only about 8 years old at the time.

Two-Bit Charlie

Buck and Wiley. I noticed that about the scars also. Early 20th century mores or not there should have been a scar on his forehead for all to see, even if faint. Enjoyed the show though. Maybe one of these days it will turn out Custer wins.

Sorry I missed the show -- somwhere online (and I think it was linked through the SASS wire) I read an account about an apparent Custer survivor. Althought I don't remember the details, the name "Finkle" rings a bell, so it may have been the same guy. The on-line account I read was unproven, but plausible.

Ed, That's a better narrative than the HC show was. Maybe they should've used that as the script! There were points brought up that weren't used in the TV one, and should have been. There were more reports that back up Finkle's story than were used, including reports from military personel! :blush:

The indian fella that commented "We had a over-whelming force and Custer had a under- whelming force." as a matter of fact. :excl: and the military body count 206 men to the number of 210 men with Custer on the military records seems like deserters or possible mia's could have happened. Using an alias must have been more common than I had thought and not many like the military were all that concerned about it. I most recently read a book "The Lone Cowboy" by Will James as per Nubbins Colt review in the chronicle. The life history of Will James and James mentions several times changing his name and using an alias to avoid possible capture or association to others. Allthough W.J. was a few years after The Battle of Little Bighorn.

http://www.amazon.com/Lone-Cowboy-My-Life-Story/dp/0878423575

interesting that this particular fight is still studied today. B)

I have to agree with Buck, that article is far superior to the show.

There is a radio episode with the Lone Ranger and Tonto arriving at LBH right after the battle but before Terry arrives. The Lone Ranger tells Tonto that there isn't much they could do now and we might as well leave as Gen Terry was on his way. Also, there is an episode of Have Gune Will Travel called Comanche, second season, 1st episode of disc 6. Paladin is on the trail of a 7th Cav deserter and his new bridewho are heading to Canada. Paladin catches up with them and is taking them back when they discover a wounded cavalry horse. The deserter recognizes it as belonging to Capt. Keough. Paladin dresses the horses wounds and lets it go. they follow it to see if it will take them back to the owner. Comanche leads them to the battlefield. While looking over the field Lt. Bradley arrived from Gibbons column. The deserter has a change of heart and surrendered to Bradley. Paladin went back to cards, fine wine and women in San Fransisco.

Archived